Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nebraska-Illinois Friday Night Game (1 Viewer)

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
This honestly doesn't really bother me at all.

I was actually planning on coming down for this game, but now my cousin is getting married on that Saturday so I can't now, but it all probably works out better with this being a Friday game now.
Doesn't bother me either. I love the FRI night games honestly because it gives us our own stage. This being on national TV FOX is big.

If it's 3-0 vs 3-0 that game could pull a very strong TV rating. It'll probably be in our top 4 most watched games of the year. Which it wouldn't be if it was buried on a Saturday afternoon vs 55 other games.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
This honestly doesn't really bother me at all.

I was actually planning on coming down for this game, but now my cousin is getting married on that Saturday so I can't now, but it all probably works out better with this being a Friday game now.

Amen. I'm getting tired of our fans who are freaking out about this development. If you have a son who plays HS football, I will let you vent. But for everyone else, quit crying.

1. Nebraska will now have 2 Nationally Televised Night games on Network TV in back to back weeks.
2. This also likely helps Nebraska avoid an 11 am home kick off time during the season.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
You mean 2 over 3 week span, right? Assume you're talking about Colorado and then Illinois.

View attachment 37700

Yes. My bad. And I also think the UTEP game has a chance at a 7 pm kickoff on BTN.

Can we also add its about fucking time that Illinois has to come and play an actual difficult game at Nebraska? Let's think about this for a minute:

2018 - Illinois plays at Nebraska in an 11 am game in front of maybe 60,000 fans during year one of the Frost regime.
2020 - Ilinois plays at Nebraska in an empty covid stadium.
2022 - Illinois plays at Nebraska at 11 am in front of maybe 60,000 fans total after two weeks of misery in Lincoln during the Mickey Joseph days following a loss at Purdue.

There are two teams that haven't had to face any type of adversity in Lincoln for years:

Illinois and Minnesota.

Fuck em.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Doesn't bother me either. I love the FRI night games honestly because it gives us our own stage. This being on national TV FOX is big.

If it's 3-0 vs 3-0 that game could pull a very strong TV rating. It'll probably be in our top 4 most watched games of the year. Which it wouldn't be if it was buried on a Saturday afternoon vs 55 other games.
Plus you can get your Fred Flintstone on with a nice bone-in ribeye Saturday afternoon as you down a case of Fat Tire. ZERO STRESS...

After Big Red buries the Illini.

Scott Hall

Linebacker
Elite Member
Amen. I'm getting tired of our fans who are freaking out about this development. If you have a son who plays HS football, I will let you vent. But for everyone else, quit crying.

1. Nebraska will now have 2 Nationally Televised Night games on Network TV in back to back weeks.
2. This also likely helps Nebraska avoid an 11 am home kick off time during the season.
Someone on this board, definitely wasn’t you, said just the other day that Nebraska has told the B1G they wouldn’t host Friday night home games.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Or be an innovator like Nebraska and leave those sexual deviants in the rear view mirror of the B1G.

UCLA just scored in the Rose Bowl again vs. Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State and Northwestern, etc., etc. - circa 2005
My guess is that those 3 are big ratings draws no matter when they play so you might as well put them against stronger tv competition, while Nebraska can pop a really nice rating Friday assuming... Friday Night SmackDown doesn't have a hot pro wrasslin angle.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
My guess is that those 3 are big ratings draws no matter when they play so you might as well put them against stronger tv competition, while Nebraska can pop a really nice rating Friday assuming... Friday Night SmackDown doesn't have a hot pro wrasslin angle.
I think they want to avoid Fridays being the Rutgers-Purdue-MN-Illinois show. That's why on the Friday schedule you see: Oregon, Washington (x2), Nebraska, USC, Michigan State, Cockeye, etc. Taters are way too concerned with what PSU/OSU/UM are doing. They really need to chill out.

My prediction: I think some of these Friday games might get 3-4m+ viewers this year. That will change a lot of opinions about the Friday night time slot. National TV FOX with the schedule all to yourself in Friday is a HELL of a lot better than BTN at 11am vs 30 other games. This is a no-brainer for me.

***Remember, our biggest home game of the last few years (vs Michigan 2021) was not seen by a lot of mainstream CFB fans bc they were watching #2 Alabama at Texas A&M (41-38 A&M victory). The SEC game was in the same time slot on CBS and pulled a way bigger TV rating. And if you followed Twitter that night, 75% of CFB posts were about the Bama/A&M game. No one was watching NU/MICH. Point is that having a national TV time slot all to yourself is a massive deal.

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
Someone on this board, definitely wasn’t you, said just the other day that Nebraska has told the B1G they wouldn’t host Friday night home games.
You may be referring to my post. And that was in reference to 2017 when the Big Ten started playing Friday night games, but they were only on FS1 and BTN. Now that actual Fox is airing the games, I had mentioned that would likely change things and they may be able to force a lot of the teams that had previously said no to hosting them, to actually have to host them. That turns out to be true. In 2017, OSU, PSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska all said no for sure, and Cockeye may have also been one that said no.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds