Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Inside Info Marcus Castro-Walker to replace Ron Brown

Stro would love to send players this way. I’ve not heard him say this, however the impression I get is that he’s not a huge fan of the Ferentz’s at Cockeyes. I believe he’d rather send players this way.

Of course I’m a bit bias being an alum and former employee, it’s inexcusable that we’ve missed on 100% of the talent coming through that place in both football AND baseball. You mean to tell me those kids on the baseball team can make rosters at Louisville and SEC schools but they’re not good enough to be here?

Bo didn't recruit IWCC, Riley I don't believe did and now we still aren't. What is the deal? It makes no sense.

Ryan Held is the most overrated member of the staff. I know his position group loves him and all, but I’ve become increasingly frustrated with him since his lack of development with his guys in his room and his juco recruiting that involves completely shunning the school 45 minutes East on i 80. I’ve promised @HuskerGarrett a write up on our efforts at IWCC as I’ve got firsthand and second hand knowledge of a lot of it. I’ve put some of this on the board, but Ryan Held has shown zero interest in signing any players from there and those kids continue to start at other P5s.
I’ve put this on the board before, but Dominick Watt was going to be placed at IWCC. Frost told Held to finish it all up. Held went behind Frost’s back and sent DW to Garden City and Jeff Sims. Frost called Stromeier and personally apologized.
Seems odd that Held would get a promotion after going behind Frost's back with a player.

Yeah I agree fully. Haven't been around either program there in almost a decade but with both coaches still being there, no reason they aren't still powerhouses. I know atleast for football that a lot of the guys at the time were there basically because they got in trouble or flunked out of their power 5 school, but baseball was an absolute factory pumping out solid D1 kids every signing period so no clue why we didn't go after them. Maybe they just chose better than Nebraska? All I can think of.

I was around that athletic department from 08 to 14 as a player and coach. I can say with a straight face that there has never been a Nebraska presence there. I suppose you’d see Barney Cotton once a spring. I actually got to know Doug Nussmeier on a first name basis when he was recruiting Jake Waters. I doubt he’d remember me now of course. It was funny. Being a 22-26 year old kid I’d work 8 to 5 at IWCC and then rent cars at the airport after I was done for extra money. So I’d see Nussmeier at IWCC then every once in awhile he’d turn his car in and I’d see him there too.

Bo didn't recruit IWCC, Riley I don't believe did and now we still aren't. What is the deal? It makes no sense.

Understand that juco kids are never going to be the cornerstone of your class. We weren’t going to take any this year because we simply weren’t going to be able to watch them play.
Held and Sims seem to be pretty tight. Ryan Held cost Dom Watt a lot of money. Had he gone to a school like IWCC that runs a wide open big 12 type offense, he’d have been a P5 player. He went to GCCC and he’s now at Waldorf.

I was just thinking the same thing. I don't get it at all.

A kid from IWCC beat the hell out of Farniok and ended the Cockeye game. He’s now on Kiper’s big board in the first round. Geronimo Allison beat us when he was at Illinois. The Sargent kid Cockeye has is probably a better zone runner than Mills ever would be. The list continues. Jake Waters would have entertained our offer when Armstrong was here. His family are big Husker fans which played into his older brother going to Ohio. You telling me we aren’t better with him at QB?

I was around that athletic department from 08 to 14 as a player and coach. I can say with a straight face that there has never been a Nebraska presence there. I suppose you’d see Barney Cotton once a spring. I actually got to know Doug Nussmeier on a first name basis when he was recruiting Jake Waters. I doubt he’d remember me now of course. It was funny. Being a 22-26 year old kid I’d work 8 to 5 at IWCC and then rent cars at the airport after I was done for extra money. So I’d see Nussmeier at IWCC then every once in awhile he’d turn his car in and I’d see him there too.
How big of a jump do you think it is from the IWCC level during that time to Power 5? Not knocking Waters at all but I saw him in person a lot during his second year at IWCC in person at the games and it looked like the defenses didn't belong on the same field as him. I watched him on TV at K-State because I was intrigued and he looked like just another guy on the field trying to play QB efficiently. I was pretty surprised honestly.

I know for a fact he did and this comes straight from the people on staff at IWCC.
I really just don't understand at all what's happening over there in North stadium. Held shouldn't have been given a promotion and if he was going to move on, let him go. Surely there's someone better out there.

How big of a jump do you think it is from the IWCC level during that time to Power 5? Not knocking Waters at all but I saw him in person a lot during his second year at IWCC in person at the games and it looked like the defenses didn't belong on the same field as him. I watched him on TV at K-State because I was intrigued and he looked like just another guy on the field trying to play QB efficiently. I was pretty surprised honestly.

I know we both played our respective sports at IWCC; so I know you saw great competition as did I. However, I would say the jump is pretty significant from JUCO to P5 but not as significant as high school to P5 especially in a sport like baseball where you all are playing top level guys in summer leagues and the same goes for a sport like soccer. I trained all summer with the teams from Drake and Evansville. So when it was time to move on, it wasn’t that big of an adjustment.

I really just don't understand at all what's happening over there in North stadium. Held shouldn't have been given a promotion and if he was going to move on, let him go. Surely there's someone better out there.

If we wanted a dude who could recruit but not coach his position we should bring back Donte Williams who would recruit circles around Held.
zero excuse for us to be so bad at RB that the only kid we can feasibly play there is Wandale. Further, I know for a fact Held on Friday night before Wandale went into the portal didn’t think this had any chance of happening. Being that out of touch with your room is inexcusable.

A kid from IWCC beat the hell out of Farniok and ended the Cockeyes game. He’s now on Kiper’s big board in the first round. Geronimo Allison beat us when he was at Illinois. The Sargent kid Cockeyes has is probably a better zone runner than Mills ever would be. The list continues. Jake Waters would have entertained our offer when Armstrong was here. His family are big Husker fans which played into his older brother going to Ohio. You telling me we aren’t better with him at QB?

Maybe you're misunderstanding my post. I'm saying I don't get why three straight NU coaches have neglected the JUCO less than an hour away! It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah dont know about that. GCCC definitely didn't do him any favors but now you're implying he'd be an NFL guy if he goes to IWCC and then P5.

He is 80d style offstill getting a free education at Waldorf.

Im not implying he’d be an NFL player. I’m flat out saying that had he not been on a Jeff Sims team and then through another coaching staff he’d have been a p5 player as he was in high school rather than an NAIA player. If he’s on a full ride at that NAIA Id be shocked. Hence why I say Held cost him thousands.

edit:

Further, he’s not getting access to a training table or a $1200 a month stipend. So yes. Regardless, Ryan Helds dumbassery cost him a lot of money.

Last edited:

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back