Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Inside Info Marcus Castro-Walker to replace Ron Brown

Only 2 days behind

*Dean announces Marcus*

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC
I hope you’re happy @Johannes de Silentio

I didn't realize this right away but he was the Director Of Player Development at UCF with Frost as well. He's in some of the Rise and Conquer video series episodes. Seems like a cool guy! I know Ron Brown was a Husker legend and yada yada yada but if I was a player I'd be a lot more comfortable and happy with a guy with a personality like Castro-Walker in a role like this.

Part of me wonders if this is part of the changes to increase retention. From what Frost said about that position sounds like this guy is basically a babysitter. It seems like a guy who could be a bro and relatable to them would be highly beneficial.

Part of me wonders if this is part of the changes to increase retention. From what Frost said about that position sounds like this guy is basically a babysitter. It seems like a guy who could be a bro and relatable to them would be highly beneficial.
Oh yeah, no need to wonder! That's definitely what this move is for. Here's what Frost said last week:

"A perfect guy in that role is somebody that can relate to all the kids, regardless of background, and that the kids trust to go to if they have anything going on off the field. Somebody that has a relationship with compliance, somebody that has a relationship with academics and can make sure the kids are doing what they’re supposed to do. Somebody that has a relationship with everybody in housing, so if there’s an issue in the dorms, they can take care of it. May even have a relationship with campus police in case one of our kids gets picked up for jaywalking. That role is almost all-encompassing, and if you have a really good guy in that role, it takes a lot off everybody else’s plate and it helps the players out a lot.

I think it was highlighted by having a handful of kids that left before the season even started. Having somebody to make sure that they get integrated into life here, feel comfortable. This was a hard year from that standpoint. That’s why there’s 1,476 kids in the portal. But we’re going to be a lot more conscious that we have the right people on board and approach things the right way and make sure the kids that enter our program get involved with things around the community and on campus a lot faster and try to do everything we can to make them feel at home immediately.”

Oh yeah, no need to wonder! That's definitely what this move is for. Here's what Frost said last week:

"A perfect guy in that role is somebody that can relate to all the kids, regardless of background, and that the kids trust to go to if they have anything going on off the field. Somebody that has a relationship with compliance, somebody that has a relationship with academics and can make sure the kids are doing what they’re supposed to do. Somebody that has a relationship with everybody in housing, so if there’s an issue in the dorms, they can take care of it. May even have a relationship with campus police in case one of our kids gets picked up for jaywalking. That role is almost all-encompassing, and if you have a really good guy in that role, it takes a lot off everybody else’s plate and it helps the players out a lot.

I think it was highlighted by having a handful of kids that left before the season even started. Having somebody to make sure that they get integrated into life here, feel comfortable. This was a hard year from that standpoint. That’s why there’s 1,476 kids in the portal. But we’re going to be a lot more conscious that we have the right people on board and approach things the right way and make sure the kids that enter our program get involved with things around the community and on campus a lot faster and try to do everything we can to make them feel at home immediately.”
That was the quote I was thinking of. Thank you

That was the quote I was thinking of.

Agreed. You’d think you’d have teammates that could do that but who knows?

Am I the only one disappointed with Held? He seems to have recruiting potential but his position group leaves little to be desired after 3 years.

He's gotten a lot of credit for recruits that transferred out and/or haven't been productive.

Ryan Held is the most overrated member of the staff. I know his position group loves him and all, but I’ve become increasingly frustrated with him since his lack of development with his guys in his room and his juco recruiting that involves completely shunning the school 45 minutes East on i 80. I’ve promised @HuskerGarrett a write up on our efforts at IWCC as I’ve got firsthand and second hand knowledge of a lot of it. I’ve put some of this on the board, but Ryan Held has shown zero interest in signing any players from there and those kids continue to start at other P5s.
I’ve put this on the board before, but Dominick Watt was going to be placed at IWCC. Frost told Held to finish it all up. Held went behind Frost’s back and sent DW to Garden City and Jeff Sims. Frost called Stromeier and personally apologized.

Ryan Held is the most overrated member of the staff. I know his position group loves him and all, but I’ve become increasingly frustrated with him since his lack of development with his guys in his room and his juco recruiting that involves completely shunning the school 45 minutes East on i 80. I’ve promised @HuskerGarrett a write up on our efforts at IWCC as I’ve got firsthand and second hand knowledge of a lot of it. I’ve put some of this on the board, but Ryan Held has shown zero interest in signing any players from there and those kids continue to start at other P5s.
I’ve put this on the board before, but Dominick Watt was going to be placed at IWCC. Frost told Held to finish it all up. Held went behind Frost’s back and sent DW to Garden City and Jeff Sims. Frost called Stromeier and personally apologized.
It hasn’t been great. Ya wonder if he would be better suited for a player personnel position. He’s definitely got a great personality for recruiting and he loves Nebraska

Are the IWCC kids interested in coming to Lincoln still?

Are the IWCC kids interested in coming to Lincoln still?

Stro would love to send players this way. I’ve not heard him say this, however the impression I get is that he’s not a huge fan of the Ferentz’s at Cockeye. I believe he’d rather send players this way.

Of course I’m a bit bias being an alum and former employee, it’s inexcusable that we’ve missed on 100% of the talent coming through that place in both football AND baseball. You mean to tell me those kids on the baseball team can make rosters at Louisville and SEC schools but they’re not good enough to be here?

Stro would love to send players this way. I’ve not heard him say this, however the impression I get is that he’s not a huge fan of the Ferentz’s at Cockeyes. I believe he’d rather send players this way.

Of course I’m a bit bias being an alum and former employee, it’s inexcusable that we’ve missed on 100% of the talent coming through that place in both football AND baseball. You mean to tell me those kids on the baseball team can make rosters at Louisville and SEC schools but they’re not good enough to be here?
Yeah I agree fully. Haven't been around either program there in almost a decade but with both coaches still being there, no reason they aren't still powerhouses. I know atleast for football that a lot of the guys at the time were there basically because they got in trouble or flunked out of their power 5 school, but baseball was an absolute factory pumping out solid D1 kids every signing period so no clue why we didn't go after them. Maybe they just chose better than Nebraska? All I can think of.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back