Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Kansas to hire Lance Leipold (1 Viewer)

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just talked to one of my KU Insiders who brought up the roster he is inheriting. Miles might have been struggling mentally (Alzheimer's/Dementia) but he could still recruit. He is leaving Leipold a roster that has quite a bit of young talent. They have 75 scholarship players who will be Freshman, RS FR, So or RS So. Young talent is there to build with. If they can develop them they will have an "Old" team in years 2-3. Another concern they had was that if he turns things around that Nebraska might come calling for him.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just talked to one of my KU Insiders who brought up the roster he is inheriting. Miles might have been struggling mentally (Alzheimer's/Dementia) but he could still recruit. He is leaving Leipold a roster that has quite a bit of young talent. They have 75 scholarship players who will be Freshman, RS FR, So or RS So. Young talent is there to build with. If they can develop them they will have an "Old" team in years 2-3. Another concern they had was that if he turns things around that Nebraska might come calling for him.

If he can corch kansas into respectability in a major conference, he's a guy who should be targeted for all kinds of openings

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Now resident RSS psychopath @steinek11 or whatever will be able to temporarily stop telling White people like Bobfather to kill themselves. Sure, that's his number one hobby, but he also moonlights as a noted KU alumnus.
Just tried to be civil with him agreeing that his posted tik tok video mocking a MAGA guy was funny and pathetic that someone would do that on tik tok.....aaanndddd he told me my existence could be considered pathetic sooooooo that’s cool. Cant even make the guy happy agreeing with him

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Tough to think he takes another rebuild if we still blow dick in 2-3 years. Sounds like an irrational fear

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Just tried to be civil with him agreeing that his posted tik tok video mocking a MAGA guy was funny and pathetic that someone would do that on tik tok.....aaanndddd he told me my existence could be considered pathetic sooooooo that’s cool. Cant even make the guy happy agreeing with him
I'm really not sure why he hasn't been banned. Even on the kind of free-for-all The Open Scrolls, that guy says some stuff that's way beyond the pale. It's not like HardlyBoy or HuskerInLA and that ilk, either. It's some dark shit.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'm really not sure why he hasn't been banned. Even on the kind of free-for-all The Open Scrolls, that guy says some stuff that's way beyond the pale. It's not like HardlyBoy or HuskerInLA and that ilk, either. It's some dark shit.
In normal public life yeah it’d be pretty jaw dropping and like “do you honestly need help?” Kind of a situation, but I honestly just view it as standard liberal keyboard warrior who is 5’7” 120 lb pubes on his chin in real life who couldn’t/wouldn’t hurt a fly. Plus, zero chance I ever encounter him in real life so whatever

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
if we still blow dick it will be because of coaching. he would inherit a solid roster
Great point. Only rebuttal id have is transfer portal. Who knows how many would jump ship that came to play for Frost. I just choose to believe we won’t be in that mess.....hopefully

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Come home Lance

"You know, I lived in Nebraska for 13 years. I met my wife 45 minutes northeast of Lincoln. We love this part of the country. And we truly missed it. An opportunity to be back here was another factor for our family."
no fucking way

what if frost is our mike shula

and liepold is our nick saban

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
As an assistant coach at Division II Nebraska-Omaha from 1994-2000, Leipold helped turned UNO from a 1-10 team in 1994 to three-time North Central Conference champions during his tenure. After being promoted to offensive coordinator in 2000, he moved on to the University of Nebraska, where he served for three seasons. The Cornhuskers competed in the national championship game in 2001 and earned bowl bids in 2002 and 2003.

In 2004, Leipold returned to Nebraska-Omaha as associate head coach and offensive coordinator. The Mavericks finished 8-3 and won conference championships during each of Leipold’s three seasons.
Dude was an "administrative assistant" at Nebraska during the Solich years.

How the fuck did i not know this

JankTheTank

Linebacker
Elite Member
Great point. Only rebuttal id have is transfer portal. Who knows how many would jump ship that came to play for Frost. I just choose to believe we won’t be in that mess.....hopefully

That can also cut both ways. Depending on how that would shake out, I would be happy to take a couple of of KU's players from them if they were essential to a successful season or two. Or players from whatever program we hire our next coach from. The way I see it, if Frost were let go after a bad year this year, I hope we're calling up Campbell, #2ndChoice, and Malzahn to see what can happen. Some of it may be pie in the sky, but hey. Might as well try.

I'm not quite sold on Leipold yet, but I am highly curious how this experiment goes. He has yet to coach, outside of a GA position, at a Power 5 school. His time at Nebraska was as an administrative assistant, not an official coach on the field, which seems to get overlooked in the articles written about his time in Lincoln.

Dude could totally put it together. He's been successful at all of his levels of coaching, and so far, his sales pitch and vision for the program appears sound.

But we've seen this song and dance with other G5 coaches before. Matt Campbell is now the poster child of finding the next perfect coach from the G5 pool. But we've also seen coaches go from being the most successful coach at their level to just average. We know how Frost has managed so far. Tom Herman couldn't make it work at Texas. Justin Fuente seems to be in neutral at Virginia Tech. Jury is still out on Chris Kleinman, though he does seem to have Oklahoma's number.

The lucky break is KU gets to put him to the Power 5 test first so we wouldn't just be gambling on another G5 coach. If he gets things rolling quickly, then put him in the same category as Campbell as someone who's got the goods.

JankTheTank

Linebacker
Elite Member
Dude was an "administrative assistant" at Nebraska during the Solich years.

How the fuck did i not know this
I find it interesting how so many articles dodge this and word it like he coached wide receivers or something for Solich. (And he's 2-3 against Solich in the MAC). He has actually never been an assistant coach for a Power 5 program outside of a GA at Wisconsin. As successful as he's been, it's kind of a red flag for me. Glad KU is taking him for a Power 5 test run before we potentially would.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds