Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Jurgens (1 Viewer)

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
When is the last time we recruited a true HS center instead of converting a player from another position into a center? Seems like a position you would want someone with experience handling the ball, leading a group of O linemen, communicating protection during a game, and just being familiar with that roll.... oh and actually snapping the fucking ball, forgot about that part. Apparently our $35m head coach did too.

edit: I looked, I think the last true Hs scholarship center recruited to Nebraska was Michael decker. Ouch
Part of that is that most kids who play OL in major conferences are the best linemen on their team. It's not unheard of but they typically don't play center in HS, partly because they're usually the biggest guy on the team.

Havoc34

Clit Commander
Elite Member
Part of that is that most kids who play OL in major conferences are the best linemen on their team. It's not unheard of but they typically don't play center in HS, partly because they're usually the biggest guy on the team.

that’s a fair point, just seems like it’s more important for the center to get the ball to the QB cleanly than being an elite blocker. I’d take a kid who’s an elite snapper and a mediocre blocker than one who risks turning the ball over 2-3 times a game.

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
that’s a fair point, just seems like it’s more important for the center to get the ball to the QB cleanly than being an elite blocker. I’d take a kid who’s an elite snapper and a mediocre blocker than one who risks turning the ball over 2-3 times a game.
Definitely. But the crazy thing is that it isn't that difficult of a skill to learn, so it shouldn't be a sacrifice that ever needs to be made. People move to center all the time. Hell, Matt Farniok is able to snap the ball just fine and he had never played the position until a couple of weeks ago.

Havoc34

Clit Commander
Elite Member
Definitely. But the crazy thing is that it isn't that difficult of a skill to learn, so it shouldn't be a sacrifice that ever needs to be made. People move to center all the time. Hell, Matt Farniok is able to snap the ball just fine and he had never played the position until a couple of weeks ago.
Jesus, makes it all that more frustrating to think about

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'd contend that the vast majority of high school centers have less bad snaps.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Sure but has he not been practicing?
from all accounts our insiders who have seen practice claim he snaps well in practice. Few issues. Appears to me he just gets in his own head during the games and gets the Yips. Lots of responsibility on the Center to make calls to go along with snapping the ball. Not sure it is a "Slow Blinker" maybe just nerves during the games.

Havoc34

Clit Commander
Elite Member
from all accounts our insiders who have seen practice claim he snaps well in practice. Few issues. Appears to me he just gets in his own head during the games and gets the Yips. Lots of responsibility on the Center to make calls to go along with snapping the ball. Not sure it is a "Slow Blinker" maybe just nerves during the games.

these boys need to get laid and lighten up, maybe they’re having a tough time finding good pussy on campus because of covid/social distancing?

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
4odjuk.jpg

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds