Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

JdS Omnibus Weekend Thoughts Thread

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Have to say, gentlemen, I'm pretty goddamn pumped heading into this evening. Here are some thoughts I've got, none of which particularly warrants its own thread, but can hopefully sustain one in combination:

1. Been digging on some Blaze Foley the past week, as his Live at the Austin Outhouse from 1989 is the current pick for my album club. He straddles a nice line between dudes like John Prine and Townes van Zandt. I don't think he's quite on the level of either of them, but not many are. I know we have some Texas Country fans around here, so I'm curious to hear any and all thoughts about him. Anyone seen that Ethan Hawke biopic about him?

2. I also have locked in what I'm thinking about selecting for my next session: David Bowie's "Heroes" from 1977. This has a lot of elements I love: 1977 (perhaps the best year in rock music history, although 1972 has a lot to say about that), Bowie in Berlin, Brian Eno, and Robert Fripp of King Crimson on lead guitar. Side One is loaded to the brim with art-rock cum dance-pop while Side Two is Eno-inspired/penned ambient instrumentals that are never boring. Pumped as shit to dig into this more in a few weeks.

3. Currently tasting and writing notes for a Springbank single malt miniature that I received while touring the distillery back in 2015. It's classic, bourbon-matured Springbank that comes across like it was a component cask in their standard 10-yo official bottling. Nothing wrong with that: Springbank might be the best distillery in Scotland. On deck in the tasting circle is an American whiskey from Virginia's-own Copper Fox distillery (in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley town of Sperryville) called Belle Grove 1797. I won't call it a bourbon, because they don't, and I suspect that's because it probably wasn't matured entirely in virgin white oak barrels. Some of them were probably refill from their other whiskies, but I can't be sure. In any event, I'm curious how it'll be. Will let some of you bourbon dorks know what I think.

4. Getting into pretty heavy Halloween mode lately, and tonight should be terrific with Joe Bob Briggs doing his Halloween special on Shudder. I'm a big fan of his movie hosting and occasional acting. I don't always have a chance to watch his stuff live, but I plan on doing so tonight. His specials usually have some pretty interesting guests and/or themes. I'm hopeful tonight will be no different (and that the movies he picks will be good).

5. The other Halloween movie thing is me finishing off the programming of my annual (seven years in a row now) Halloween-night movie marathon. I watch four movies starting from sundown until I either finish or that one year I fell asleep like a bitch. It appeals to the categorization fetish I seem to have (also partially animating my whisky and other spirits collection), because I put guidelines on myself requiring that one of the films be from the last ten years, one must be a non-English production, and one must be a foundational film (loosely defined as being from the 1950s or before and having historical influence).

6. Fucking Huskers finally open the season tomorrow! As long as we don't get housed as bad as last year, honestly, I'll feel okay. I want to see the new players, how things look in B1G generally, and see if some of the key issues (quarterback, OL, OLB) are trending the right way. Glad it's an early slot so there's no waiting around. And because no one expects us to even keep it close, I doubt it'll totally ruin my mood for college football the rest of the day.

Good times ahead, bros! Happy to discuss any or all of this with you gentlemen.

Last edited:
I've been getting into some great music lately by Colter Wall.
Each album of his is a little different and are all excellent.
Give him a try if you haven't.

GBR!

I'd heard him and Tyler Childers do an interesting cover of "Fraulein" before. He's definitely got a cool voice, kind of like Buddy Holly trying to sing like Johnny Cash.

Who else chuckles at the term “2 deep”?
This post really does scream out for your proposed "necessary gayness" reaction. Honestly, though, there's so much of this vaguely homoerotic stuff in football and recruiting. I really commend @lee_carvallo_12 for bringing that to the forefront on RSS long ago. Truly innovative work.

I'd heard him and Tyler Childers do an interesting cover of "Fraulein" before. He's definitely got a cool voice, kind of like Buddy Holly trying to sing like Johnny Cash.

This post really does scream out for your proposed "necessary gayness" reaction. Honestly, though, there's so much of this vaguely homoerotic stuff in football and recruiting. I really commend @lee_carvallo_12 for bringing that to the forefront on RSS long ago. Truly innovative work.
Yeah, act of following the decisions of 16-22 year old males is a bit homoerotic.

Reactions: GBR

this little tidbit will please you then, I'd suppose...

For context, I posted "Now that's a boy I could really get behind!" ITT.

sGv2Ht7.png

and in response to the content in the OP, i'm an enormous halloween horror and slasher movie fan. i subscribed to shudder a couple of months back and have no regrets.

and in response to the content in the OP, i'm an enormous halloween horror and slasher movie fan. i subscribed to shudder a couple of months back and have no regrets.
I've now set the marathon lineup for this coming Saturday. I'll be starting at sundown (or as soon as my daughter's are done trick 'r treating, which shouldn't take long given how young they are):

Horror of Dracula (1958)-First Hammer picture to feature Christopher Lee as Count Dracula. Get to see him square off with Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. Should be a nice, easy way to start off the evening and perhaps even something my three-year-old daughter can watch a bit of with me before bed.

Don't Look Back (1973)-Wouldn't normally be my cup of tea, I don't think, but I can't argue with '70s Donald Sutherland. Plus, this has nearly universal critical acclaim. It may also help unsettle me now that I'm a dad. Anything with kids getting hurt or dying has a much bigger impact now.

Raw (2016)-French New Wave Extremism about a vegetarian veterinary student who starts dabbling in raw meat consumption to some disastrous consequences. This can't miss.

The Last House on the Left (1972)-The original Wes Craven exploitation film. Should be a nice nightcap to see some girls going to the city and getting in trouble when they go looking for the devil's lettuce!

I've now set the marathon lineup for this coming Saturday. I'll be starting at sundown (or as soon as my daughter's are done trick 'r treating, which shouldn't take long given how young they are):

Horror of Dracula (1958)-First Hammer picture to feature Christopher Lee as Count Dracula. Get to see him square off with Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. Should be a nice, easy way to start off the evening and perhaps even something my three-year-old daughter can watch a bit of with me before bed.

Don't Look Back (1973)-Wouldn't normally be my cup of tea, I don't think, but I can't argue with '70s Donald Sutherland. Plus, this has nearly universal critical acclaim. It may also help unsettle me now that I'm a dad. Anything with kids getting hurt or dying has a much bigger impact now.

Raw (2016)-French New Wave Extremism about a vegetarian veterinary student who starts dabbling in raw meat consumption to some disastrous consequences. This can't miss.

The Last House on the Left (1972)-The original Wes Craven exploitation film. Should be a nice nightcap to see some girls going to the city and getting in trouble when they go looking for the devil's lettuce!
tenor.gif

Have you watched the new Creepshow on Shudder yet? Two season so far. Worth the time, IYAM.

Tell me more about this shudder of which you speak

Tell me more about this shudder of which you speak
It's like a niche Netflix for horror and adjacent genres. You get a better and deeper selection than anywhere else I've seen, and it's only like $5 or so. One of the big draws for me is The Last Drive-In hosted by Joe Bob Briggs. He plays movies and does introductions and interstitial commentary. It's a lot of fun and harkens back to his older shows on TMC and TNT back in the day.

I saw this when originally came out at a drive in theater in "west Omaha" (either the 76th & West Dodge or the Golden Spike at 114th & Dodge, I can't recall which). Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - says gore like a
a dismembered penis flying across a drive-in theater sized screen. Cot dayum, it twas YUGE!

Also, the "Catholic High School Girls in Trouble" segment from 'Kentucky Fried Movie' got my attention on that big screen:

iu

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back