Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Is this Steve Marik cat the best writer amongst the Husker boards? (1 Viewer)

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
I said this in a different thread about Rivals new staff vs Tater Island (which is just the rehashed old RSS crew plus Sipple the Nipple) - Rivals/inside nebraska went and got some really good people. They write fair and balanced sutff, in a way that you can tell they actually know the game well. They give more pertinent info IMO, and in ways that are not a click-bait "I know (or knew) but couldn't tell you" way. I have been very impressed.

Not here to shit on anyone, but Tater Island has been subpar so far IMHO. Stale and just the same ole' ish that Rivals was before the big move on June 1st. I rarely visit Tater Island, no real reason to, but it was only a buck for the first year so I will give it that time frame. I don't see it really changing much though - it is what it is, and the new Rivals staff are heads and shoulders better writers than the crew that left and are now Tater Island.

Edit: I edited the first paragraph a little as after reading it again, it wasn't very clear - I was talking about Rivls vs Tater Island and how Rivals has a far better staff of writers now IMO.

It's such a Dean move to hire the old, lost in the way of things, local beat writer as his big new hire.

He has a glaring hole in actual analyst of the game of football. And the recruiting game as well.

You let Nate go and your actual recruiting information product takes a nose dive. Move over to a new company ready to make a splash and you hire....Steve Sipple?

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's such a Dean move to hire the old, lost in the way of things, local beat writer as his big new hire.

He has a glaring hole in actual analyst of the game of football. And the recruiting game as well.

You let Nate go and your actual recruiting information product takes a nose dive. Move over to a new company ready to make a splash and you hire....Steve Sipple?
In case you're wondering, I think Sipple's writing style is annoying.

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
In case you're wondering, I think Sipple's writing style is annoying.

It's incredibly annoying. And outdated. Your audience isn't a bunch of old timers opening up the paper at the local diner anymore.

He drones in circles to only make some generalized surface level observation. It's the worst when it's practice report info. I think they've pushed him out of doing the quick hit updates because of that.

Dude is most likely making decent money at the tail end of his writing career to crap out some generic stories and keep his media access to hang around the program. It's gotta be an awesome set up for him. He lucked out being Dean's long time buddy.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Shatel is the worst:

Every sentence in his articles.

Reads like a run on haiku.

It’s really annoying, if I’m being honest.

But hey, he’s old as balls.

Makes me want to break stuff reading it.

THANK YOU! Look, I get that I'm bad the other way when it comes to meatiness of my paragraphs, but that sports journalist style of hitting "return" after every single sentence drives me nuts. Absolutely fucking nuts.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Makes me want to break stuff reading it.
It's a struggle as he still comes across as an old school Newspaper Writer. He's about fluff pieces that don't rock the boat and make the less informed fans feel happy. We might as well name Dean's writers "The Kool Aid Squad" as they are all sweet and the common fans drink it up. Then these new writers at Rivals and our insiders are dropping unbiased actual football knowledge making the Kool Aid Squad look like amateurs.

haters-gonna.gif

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Inside Nebraska writing is much improved over the Rivals group. However, every time I visit over there, it just feels like the old RSS has been gutted of it's personality. Their traffic has to be down 60 or 70% and while a lot of crazies are gone or in hiding, that's reduced the entertainment factor imo. I'm not on Tater Island, so I can't speak to that site.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Inside Nebraska writing is much improved over the Rivals group. However, every time I visit over there, it just feels like the old RSS has been gutted of it's personality. Their traffic has to be down 60 or 70% and while a lot of crazies are gone or in hiding, that's reduced the entertainment factor imo. I'm not on Tater Island, so I can't speak to that site.
Both sites are much slower than before The Great Schism, which really could end up being a win for 247 who historically have a ghost town board

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
Tater Island is not worth the dollar, so you're not missing anything.
tPB is here for our forum needs.
Add the writing of Rivals and you're set.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Both sites are much slower than before The Great Schism, which really could end up being a win for 247 who historically have a ghost town board
I'm actually thinking of dropping 24/7. Rivals bringing the goods right now on a level us Husker fans aren't use to. Professional true reporting and articles. After my $1 is up unless things change I probably won't renew with Tater Island

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm actually thinking of dropping 24/7. Rivals bringing the goods right now on a level us Husker fans aren't use to. Professional true reporting and articles. After my $1 is up unless things change I probably won't renew with Tater Island
I'm not sure I'm going to make it through the season on Tater Island.
And I'd hate to forget to drop them and have it auto-renew.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds