Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Is Stephon Wynn to the Portal a big loss? (2 Viewers)

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't know football well enough to know if he really played that well last season or if he is a fit in Tony White's Defense. I hate seeing our inexperienced D-Line lose an experienced player but what is everyone's thoughts on how big of a loss this is? I don't see him doing it for NIL $$$ as I doubt he will end up at a better school. I would guess he ends up at a Georgia Tech, Kansas, Memphis, South Florida... level program not a competitive Power5

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member
I don't know football well enough to know if he really played that well last season or if he is a fit in Tony White's Defense. I hate seeing our inexperienced D-Line lose an experienced player but what is everyone's thoughts on how big of a loss this is? I don't see him doing it for NIL $$$ as I doubt he will end up at a better school. I would guess he ends up at a Georgia Tech, Kansas, Memphis, South Florida... level program not a competitive Power5
No doubt it's a loss, IMO, but even Kaine Williams, the other Alabama transfer has not convincingly contirbuted last year.

Have to wait until the season starts to see where Williams is on the depth chart.

There will be more transfers is my guess, and after Victor Jones maybe it'll be WR Shawn Hardy?

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev đź‘»
Elite Member
No doubt it's a loss, IMO, but even Kaine Williams, the other Alabama transfer has not convincingly contirbuted last year.

Have to wait until the season starts to see where Williams is on the depth chart.

There will be more transfers is my guess, and after Victor Jones maybe it'll be WR Shawn Hardy?
Kaine was injured last year IIRC

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member
Sure enough, Shawn Hardy is in the transfer portal.

Nebraska receiver Shawn Hardy enters the NCAA transfer portal​

Tater Island Staff Report •about 10 hours

Shawn Hardy Nebraska

Nebraska receiver Shawn Hardy has entered the NCAA transfer portal, according to a report by Tater Island’s Matt Zenitz.

Hardy spent two years at Nebraska but did not make an appearance in either season. However, the former Kingsland, Ga., prospect was named Nebraska’s Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year in 2021.

Before enrolling at Nebraska and then later choosing to enter the NCAA transfer portal, Shawn Hardy was a three-star prospect and the No. 752 overall recruit in the nation in the 2021 recruiting class, according to the Tater Island Industry Rankings.

Hardy checked in as the No. 112 wide receiver in the class and the No. 66 overall player from the state of Georgia, hailing from Kingsland (Ga.) Camden County.

Transfer portal background information

The NCAA Transfer Portal, which covers every NCAA sport at the Division I, II and III levels, is a private database with names of student-athletes who wish to transfer. It is not accessible to the public.

The process of entering the portal is done through a school’s compliance office. Once a player provides written notification of an intent to transfer, the office enters the player’s name in the database and everything is off and running. The compliance office has 48 hours to comply with the player’s request and that request cannot be refused.

Once a player’s name shows up in the portal, other schools can contact the player. Players can change their minds at any point and withdraw from the portal. However, once a player enters the portal, the current scholarship no longer has to be honored. In other words, if a player enters the portal but decides to stay, the school is not obligated to provide a scholarship anymore.

The database is a normal database, sortable by a variety of topics, including (of course) sport and name. A player’s individual entry includes basic details such as contact info, whether the player was on scholarship and whether the player is transferring as a graduate student.

A player can ask that a “do not contact” tag be placed on the report. In those instances, the players don’t want to be contacted by schools unless they’ve initiated the communication.

The portal has been around since Oct. 15, 2018 and the new calendar cycle within the portal begins each August. For example, the 2021-22 cycle started Aug.

1. During the 2020-21 cycle, 2,626 FBS football players entered the transfer portal (including walk-ons). That comes after 1,681 entered during the 2019-20 cycle and 1,709 during the abbreviated 2018-19 cycle. In comparison, 1,833 Division I basketball players entered the portal during the 2020-21 cycle after totals of 1,020 in 2019-20 and 1,063 in 2018-19.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
He’s a big body. Not a good football player. But Nebraska, like almost every other school, doesn’t have a ton of big bodies that can actually play. Can he actually play? If so, then it’s a loss

Toe

Wide Receiver
It's not catastrophic or anything, but it's definitely a loss. The only one so far that would make me say 'that sucks'.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Personally, I don't think it is a big loss with Nash and Ty Rob, plus I think they like Buckley. I think they have some solid young players for the 2nd DL spot, like Lenhardt played.

Herbie

Quarterback
We’ll be fine. Honestly perfectly fine with him leaving. Wouldn’t be surprised if Rhule encouraged him to go.
He’s a mid player but a senior. For the long term it makes more sense to spread his PT out to Nash, Elijah Juedy, and hope a younger guy can fill in on the back end as needed. Can move Ty around as well.

Huskerscoop

Linebacker
Elite Member
I don’t think he is huge loss. He hade some tackles no TFLs. I think they want to get faster on D. I see them going after the Syracuse guy that just went in the portal. His Purdue game was pretty good last year.

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
He will probably be the second best guy we lose, when you think of it that way, that’s pretty good when you know how many guys we have to get rid of.

Another way to look at it was we had more scholarship DL available this spring than scholarship OL, and we only play 3 of those at a time.

I’d rather process Wynn than some of the other options. Go look at that scholarship chart, getting pretty tough to come up with 7 more names just to get us to 85. And we are portaling for more guys so we probably need more than 7 gone.

Last edited:

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
He will probably be the second best guy we lose, when you think of it that way, that’s pretty good when you know how many guys we have to get rid of.

Another way to look at it was we had more scholarship DL available this spring than scholarship OL, and we only play 3 of those at a time.

I’d rather process Wynn than some of the other options. Go look at that scholarship chart, getting pretty tough to come up with 7 more names just to get us to 85. And we are portaging for more guys so we probably need more than 7 gone.
First best guy we lose being Casey, right?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds