Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Is Matt Rhule the man to return Nebraska to college football's elite? (USA Today) (2 Viewers)

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
Him leaving is a concern as well, but if he gets the machine truly rolling I don't see much incentive for him to move unless its to PSU or unless he is a Larry Brown type and enjoys the build. Really only concerned about PSU though. But I will worry about that day when it comes. If he does leave, hiring a new coach after a successful run would be a good change a pace.
Completely agree. Having a guy leave this place better than he found it would actually be kind of refreshing compared to the typical career suicide, which is all that I’ve witnessed here since I’ve been able to comprehend football.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Will Rhule keep himself from going full potato as the L's pile up? I need to see it to believe it. We all thought Frost walked on water during this period of the honeymoon.

The only thing going full potato is this post. 😉 Obviously, we all need to "see it to believe it" because L's have been piling up for the past ten years. And while some people thought Frost walked on water, lots of us fans had our reservations.

whoboppin

Linebacker
Completely agree. Having a guy leave this place better than he found it would actually be kind of refreshing compared to the typical career suicide, which is all that I’ve witnessed here since I’ve been able to comprehend football.
Id like to see the alternate simulation where Bo leaves for Miami in 2011 or for Arkansas in 2012. Id imagine we would be in a better place, but the simulations settings always seems set to screw Nebraska over

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
The thing I really like about Rhule is that I think the timing of MR's career is absolutely exquisite for DONU. He's had 2 very good stints in CFB. One mediocre stint in the NFL. But the key is where he's at now. I think the NFL stint allowed him to step back and realize what he likes and dislikes as a leader, what he likes about the college game vs the NFL game... what his strengths are as a CEO etc. I think he spent 3 yrs kind of subconsciously plotting for his next return to CFB. This is a much better progression for us than a guy coming off a hotshot 2-3 yr run at a UCF or even Cincinnati.

It'd be interesting to do a long form analysis of the CFB->NFL->CFB coaches. I think there's a group that came back to CFB kind of burned out & w the tank 3/4 full. Then there's the Saban/Harbaugh group that just continued developing as HCs right when they started back in the college game. That's what you hope happens with Rhule.

If you look at the list though, a lot of these guys did quite well when they came back. Spurrier was burned out but he did very well with SC. Even Bobby Petrino after his humiliation at the Falcons, he did great w Arkansas when he came back (until...). Chip Kelly looked like he wanted to retire on the job at UCLA but he's looking like he'll bring them back now.

There's actually quite a bit of precedent for Rhule having a lot of success at Nebraska. My only hang up honestly is, is Nebraska getting him too EARLY? Saban was 54 when he came back. Harbaugh was 51. Spurrier was 60. Chip Kelly 55. Matt Rhule was 47 when hired by NU. So he's on the younger end of this group of coaches. Though Petrino was 47 too when he went to Arkansas.

I actually have zero doubt that Rhule is going to be a very successful CFB HC again. My only question is, is his career peak going to be at NU? Or does he drop NU after a 9-3, 10-2 run for an LSU, UT or PSU?

There are NU fans who actually think that Rhule might put together a 3-9, 4-8, 4-8 then get fired from NU. That has zero chance of happening. He'll get a team to the 10-2 & CFP (12 team) level... my only question is, is that going to be at Nebraska or is Nebraska the step before the breakthrough? That's actually not something to worry about bc even if he's only at NU for 3-4 yrs and leaves for Texas or PSU, he's still made the UNL program much better than how he inherited it.
I don't disagree with your assessment at all...I feel nearly exactly the same. My only thought is that if Rhule does elevate Nebraska to the point where some of the other big dogs are going after him, why would he leave? Penn St is the only school I could understand him leaving us for, because that is "home."

SoCal_Corn

Wide Receiver
not until we get better O-line, better qb, deeper receiving corps, better pass rush, better defense

1x02 GIF by The Hills

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds