Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Is Brent Venables a good coach? (1 Viewer)

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
The thing for Riley is 1) He’s basically never had to actually build a staff and 2) He’s never really had to build or rebuild anything. I’m not saying he’s not gonna do well at USC. But it’s not like OU when he took over and USC where they are now is the same thing. He got tossed the keys to a Porsche and he drove that car well.
Riley could underachieve, but the move atleast feels right with what he does. I actually think a guy like Jeff Brohm would have tore it up at USC.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
USC’s offense looked impressive in the spring game- and that was without Jordan Addison.

Pro tip on how to be considered a good football coach: Sign the #1 Qb in the nation every year. Lincoln Riley is a beast because he can do that. USC will be in the playoff discussion real fast

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Oklahoma has 1 defensive coordinator, 2 co-defensive coordinators, and no special teams coach. They went the analyst route for special teams like we did in 2020.

I pray they have the same special teams issues we have had.

Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
USC’s offense looked impressive in the spring game- and that was without Jordan Addison.

Pro tip on how to be considered a good football coach: Sign the #1 Qb in the nation every year. Lincoln Riley is a beast because he can do that. USC will be in the playoff discussion real fast
The worst thing for Riley is that one screw up during the regular season might knock them out of the playoffs because the conference is pretty weak.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Oklahoma has 1 defensive coordinator, 2 co-defensive coordinators, and no special teams coach. They went the analyst route for special teams like we did in 2020.

I pray they have the same special teams issues we have had.

Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office
Most defensive coaches are pretty big on special teams.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Most defensive coaches are pretty big on special teams.

Bo doesn’t get enough credit for just how good of a coaching job he did in 2009. Yeah, we had Suh and a lot of talent; but the decisions he made with the offense and special teams were masterful at times.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Bo doesn’t get enough credit for just how good of a coaching job he did in 2009. Yeah, we had Suh and a lot of talent; but the decisions he made with the offense and special teams were masterful at times.
Bo did a pretty solid job at Nebraska with special teams during his tenure. After the one down year Bo actually had he took control of special teams and made them good again. Even the one bad year was much better than what Frost has produced for the most part to far. Hopefully the LSU coaches pay dividends this year on special teams.

Last edited:

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Bo did a pretty solid job at Nebraska with special teams during his tenure at Nebraska. After the one down year Bo actually had he took control of special teams and made them good again. Even the one bad year was much better than what Frost has produced for the most part to far. Hopefully the LSU coaches pay dividends this year on special teams.
Bo also had Papuchis, Ekeler, and Els all of whom would go on to be power 5 ST coordinators elsewhere

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Bo also had Papuchis, Ekeler, and Els all of whom would go on to be power 5 ST coordinators elsewhere
Ross Els has fucked us over a couple of times too IIRC

Ekeler had a pretty good unit at Tennesse last year IIRC

I have no clue of how JP has done since

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
That’s true, but Bo was smart enough to hire guys who were good coaches in that regard even though most Husker fans would disagree. He just needed more recruiters.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Or maybe Ohio States offense was really good.
I’m sure Ryan Day is a good coach but I’m still waiting to see if the wheels fall off since he took over an elite program and was bound to win for at least a couple years. Nebraska did almost beat them last year…

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds