Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Is Brent Venables a good coach? (1 Viewer)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I don’t know anything about this guy.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Last edited:

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
to me he reminds me a bit of Bo Pelini. but it's easier to recruit to Oklahoma so they'll be really good at least until the move to the SEC
I actually give him a better chance at competing in the SEC than Riley. You know the guy will bring a defense that will be on par with the other elite teams in the sec west. Riley wasn’t going to do that at OU. He was going to be a perennial 3-4 loss team in the west The big question is what will his offense look like during Venerable’s tenure. He seemed to pass the first test on paper with the his OC hire. Lebby is a legit OC.

doublewing

Running Back
It was always odd to me that he was never a strong candidate for any HC job in the last 10 years or so, as he had established himself as a DC at OU well prior to Clemson. Plenty of message board rumors around that, but you'd figure someone would have taken a flyer on him, like his alma matter in KSU. Maybe he was waiting for the right job?

I'm on the fence as to how he'll turn out but the party will be over when they join the SEC.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
It was always odd to me that he was never a strong candidate for any HC job in the last 10 years or so, as he had established himself as a DC at OU well prior to Clemson. Plenty of message board rumors around that, but you'd figure someone would have taken a flyer on him, like his alma matter in KSU. Maybe he was waiting for the right job?

I'm on the fence as to how he'll turn out but the party will be over when they join the SEC.
He had other job opportunities. He shot them down. I’m pretty sure he was offered the Auburn and West Virginia jobs. We know he had k-state for sure if he wanted it.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
what's not to like? I mean, they are proven winners...look at Frost's staff now...proven winners in the past, that's another reason this year is important for the program.
I will also say this: words from his mouth. “Nebraska sucks now that they’re in the B10”

He’s not wrong but sucks hearing him say that. Don’t know what to make of it and I’m sure there’s a chance if we have a very productive season.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Nothing is ever a sure thing. Seems every coach hired is a coin flip.
I wouldn’t trust any hire outside Urb and Saban for college. Im pretty sure Riley will work at USC with his offense and the pac 12 being shitty, but you never know.

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Overrated coach. It’s well known that he’s a sign stealer. Ohio State decided to huddle vs them because of this and hung 49 in the CFP. Hopefully Frost is taking notes and not hunting or playing golden tee ;)

Basically had Justin Fields run to the sideline to get the call every play, got fucking wrecked. Big 12 is trash so he’ll do just fine this year then Oklahoma will find themselves behind Georgia Bama ATM LSU & probably even some middling programs like Ole Miss

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I wouldn’t trust any hire outside Urb and Saban for college. Im pretty sure Riley will work at USC with his offense and the pac 12 being shitty, but you never know.

The thing for Riley is 1) He’s basically never had to actually build a staff and 2) He’s never really had to build or rebuild anything. I’m not saying he’s not gonna do well at USC. But it’s not like OU when he took over and USC where they are now is the same thing. He got tossed the keys to a Porsche and he drove that car well.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds