Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

If you were gifted $1 million... (1 Viewer)

YankeesJunkie

Linebacker
1 million, free and clear, should be sufficient to retire my wife and changes my path to retirement. Probably shaves 10 years off when I can retire as well. Win-win

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Could you live the rest of your life without having to go back to work?

I'm a bit young with some bills, but I think I could live fairly frugal a couple years while investing a good chunk and then live pretty comfortably after that.
General rule of thumb is a safe withdrawal rate from an investment account is 4%.

So could you live off 40k? Assuming no other assets.

Otherwise you would have to figure out how to invest in businesses where you could generate a potential higher ROI.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
If I get to keep my current financial situation, with $1M I could breeze into retirement and never look back.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
General rule of thumb is a safe withdrawal rate from an investment account is 4%.

So could you live off 40k? Assuming no other assets.

Otherwise you would have to figure out how to invest in businesses where you could generate a potential higher ROI.
What would a fixed annuity payment be for a 30 yo, 40 yo etc

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
What would a fixed annuity payment be for a 30 yo, 40 yo etc
SPIA single life only (highest annual payout) no COLA - 50k roughly every year (30yo) - 53k for a (40yo) - 3% COLA 28k/31k

The kicker is not cost of living adjustment. So, by the time the 30 yo is 54 he is essentially living on 25k in todays dollars and when he is 78 it is the today dollars equivalent of 12.5k/year.

You do the 4% on an investment account and you should be able to factor in a COLA of 3% every year. If managed properly. The thing that can fuck you here is if you get a bad sequence of returns and you might as well go get your Walmart greeter application.

Either way a million dollars gift would be fucking awesome, but you aren't likely retiring on just that.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds