Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

If the BCS still existed in 2023... (1 Viewer)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Let us travel back in time, to a place where "BCS CHAOS" and "BCS BUSTERS" ruled supreme... There is a Twitter account called BCSKnowHow that uses the old BCS formula to show how the rankings would have ended up if college football still used the BCS rankings to determine bowls and national championship matchups. I think it's fun to check out every season just as a hypothetical. This year, this is how the BCS Top 20 would have turned out:

1. Michigan – 13-0 - Big 10 Champion
  2. Washington – 13-0 - PAC 12 Champion
  3. Alabama – 12-1 - SEC Champion
  4. Florida State – 13-0 - ACC Champion
  5. Texas – 12-1 - Big 12 Champion
  6. Georgia – 12-1
  7. Ohio State – 11-1
  8. Oregon – 11-2
  9. Penn State - 10-2
  10. Missouri - 10-2
  11. Ole Miss - 10-2
  12. Oklahoma - 10-2
  13. LSU - 9-3
  14. Notre Dame - 9-3
  15. Arizona - 9-3
  16. Louisville 10-3
  17. Liberty - 13-0
  18. Cockeye - 10-3
  19. SMU - 11-2 - AAC Champion
  20. NC State - 9-3
Using those rankings, and the automatic qualifier status of the conference champs noted above, here is how the BCS Bowls might have been set up:

National Championship - Michigan vs. Washington

Rose Bowl - Ohio State vs. Oregon
Fiesta Bowl - Texas vs. Georgia
Sugar Bowl - Alabama vs. SMU
Orange Bowl - Florida State vs. Oklahoma

What do you think? Would this hypothetical BCS bowl season be more or less controversial than the Playoff? More or less entertaining? More or less effective at deciding a national champion?

eVesixf.jpg

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't think there's anything wrong with this BCS setup but I think I'll be a bigger fan of the expanded playoff moving forward.

There seems to be a bit more parity than usual this year, so it's nice to see the post-season determined on something other than a single non-con loss from September.

IM4NUALWAYS

Linebacker
Elite Member
Let us travel back in time, to a place where "BCS CHAOS" and "BCS BUSTERS" ruled supreme... There is a Twitter account called BCSKnowHow that uses the old BCS formula to show how the rankings would have ended up if college football still used the BCS rankings to determine bowls and national championship matchups. I think it's fun to check out every season just as a hypothetical. This year, this is how the BCS Top 20 would have turned out:

6. Georgia – 12-1
  7. Ohio State – 11-1
  8. Oregon – 11-2
  9. Penn State - 10-2
  10. Missouri - 10-2
  11. Ole Miss - 10-2
  12. Oklahoma - 10-2
  13. LSU - 9-3
  14. Notre Dame - 9-3
  15. Arizona - 9-3
  16. Louisville 10-3
  17. Liberty - 13-0
  18. Cockeye - 10-3
  20. NC State - 9-3
Using those rankings, and the automatic qualifier status of the conference champs noted above, here is how the BCS Bowls might have been set up:

What do you think? Would this hypothetical BCS bowl season be more or less controversial than the Playoff? More or less entertaining? More or less effective at deciding a national champion?

eVesixf.jpg
Way less because the top 2 were a no brainer. After that no one cares.

JankTheTank

Linebacker
Elite Member
I've always been the mentality that if you are a one loss team complaining that you are not in the championship, then you should have taken care of business better on the field. That's where Bama and Texas should have found themselves with one of the two getting in and the other one sitting home complaining. For the one complaining, they should have won that one game they lost to remove the controversy.

I think the BCS example above is less controversial because at that point you're forced to pick what you feel like are the top 2 teams with three undefeated conference winners on the list. It's still controversial because you have an updefeated team on the outside looking in, but controversy is expected in that case. And if it were up to me, yeah, Washington v. Michigan is the match up and FSU is left out. It's honestly pretty cut and dry.

The controversy to me is that the four team playoff created the exact same issue it was expected to solve, and it's worse when it has the full capacity to solve it, but chooses to go in a different direction anyway.

Last edited:

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

6. Georgia – 12-1
  7. Ohio State – 11-1
  8. Oregon – 11-2
  9. Penn State - 10-2
  10. Missouri - 10-2
  11. Ole Miss - 10-2
  12. Oklahoma - 10-2
  13. LSU - 9-3
  14. Notre Dame - 9-3
  15. Arizona - 9-3
  16. Louisville 10-3
  17. Liberty - 13-0
  18. Cockeye - 10-3
  20. NC State - 9-3

eVesixf.jpg
Use it to determine the top 12, kick out the "committee". Looks good.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG

6. Georgia – 12-1
  7. Ohio State – 11-1
  8. Oregon – 11-2
  9. Penn State - 10-2
  10. Missouri - 10-2
  11. Ole Miss - 10-2
  12. Oklahoma - 10-2
  13. LSU - 9-3
  14. Notre Dame - 9-3
  15. Arizona - 9-3
  16. Louisville 10-3
  17. Liberty - 13-0
  18. Cockeye - 10-3
  20. NC State - 9-3

eVesixf.jpg
Good post...and still no Nebraska in a bowl. Damnit!

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Should be 8 or 16. We're going to fight over the same stuff when FSU doesnt get a bye but Bama does

Stan Raymond

Cornerback

6. Georgia – 12-1
  7. Ohio State – 11-1
  8. Oregon – 11-2
  9. Penn State - 10-2
  10. Missouri - 10-2
  11. Ole Miss - 10-2
  12. Oklahoma - 10-2
  13. LSU - 9-3
  14. Notre Dame - 9-3
  15. Arizona - 9-3
  16. Louisville 10-3
  17. Liberty - 13-0
  18. Cockeye - 10-3
  20. NC State - 9-3

eVesixf.jpg
A lot less controversy with this method this year.

There is a myth that adding more teams makes less controversy. But that isn't true, controversy occurs when there are more legitimate comparable teams than there are spots for them to take.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
This conversation would be a lot cooler if we were 11-1.

Just sayin. Yeah, I'm still a little bitter.
Siiiiiigh what I would give to be controversially left out of a national championship game right now.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds