Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

If the B1G goes to 20 teams are we stuck in a division with the Pac 12 teams? (1 Viewer)

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
4 Divisions of 5 teams. Oregon, USC, UCLA & Wash would need a 5th and we are the furthest West if we don't add another West Coast team. Or could hope that Minnesota gets pushed on them. Ideally add Stanford to round out the 5th team. Would be a nice little division with Neb, Cockeye, Minn, Wisc and either NW or Illinois.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
4 Divisions of 5 teams. Oregon, USC, UCLA & Wash would need a 5th and we are the furthest West if we don't add another West Coast team. Or could hope that Minnesota gets pushed on them. Ideally add Stanford to round out the 5th team. Would be a nice little division with Neb, Cockeye, Minn, Wisc and either NW or Illinois.
I don't think this will happen mainly because I don't think the B1G will want to fuck over Cockeye. They respect Cockeye as a legacy B1G member and they know Cockeye wants to play it's nearby regional rivals.

I've seen 10,001 mockups today showing Nebraska and Cockeye in the "new" B1G West w the Pac12 schools and that has a 0.00001% chance of happening. I honestly wouldn't care (I live in the Pac NW, it'd be great for me)....but it'll never happen.

The solutions will be one of these:
1. Pods of 4 (P12 teams together)
2. Pods of 6 (P12 + Stanford/Cal) w league going to 24 teams
3. No pods, just protected rivals (like originally set up a couple months ago)

There is no Pod of 6 with Pac-12 four + NEB/IA.....that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. Cockeye wants nothing to do with that and the Big Ten presidents aren't going to fuck over a legacy member school like that.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Hell yes please give me those soft ass west coast teams and recruiting advantage

IMG-8484.jpg

Herbie

Quarterback
I don’t really have an attachment to playing any certain team in the big 10. Could care less about Cockeye and everyone else. Just keep handing over fistfuls of cash tell nebraska who to play. Then Nebraska just needs to take care of itself.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Without an interconference playoff, the 4 division thing doesn't make any sense. How do you choose two teams to play in the championship with 4 divisions? They'll probably just have the 4 pac 12 teams as permanent rivals and continue going with the rotating schedule they have now.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Without an interconference playoff, the 4 division thing doesn't make any sense. How do you choose two teams to play in the championship with 4 divisions? They'll probably just have the 4 pac 12 teams as permanent rivals and continue going with the rotating schedule they have now.
My guess is that when the B1G and SEC are both at 24 teams (which may not be that far off), each league will have four 6-team divisions. Each division winner gets a spot in the 12 team playoff (which will probably be 16 teams at that point). Then you give at-large bids to the remaining 4 or 8 teams to fill out your playoff bracket.

As to how you crown the B1G/SEC champ in that format...honestly who gives a shit? It'll be all about the playoff at that point. But you could just pit the 2 highest ranked division champs at that point. Honestly it's not gonna matter. It'll have the same value as the Patriots put on winning the AFC East all those years (which is zero). It'll be almost better to NOT have to play in that game bc it'll be more of a distraction before you start the playoffs anyway. Unless conference champs get a bye, maybe.

This game is moving toward the NFL setup, that's where it's been headed and where it's going. If anyone struggles to see what's happening or is wondering what'll they do in ______ situation, just look at how the NFL handles their divisions and playoffs and you'll get your blueprint. Everything the B1G and SEC are doing is going down that exact path, whether we like it or not.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
My guess is that when the B1G and SEC are both at 24 teams (which may not be that far off), each league will have four 6-team divisions. Each division winner gets a spot in the 12 team playoff (which will probably be 16 teams at that point). Then you give at-large bids to the remaining 4 or 8 teams to fill out your playoff bracket.

As to how you crown the B1G/SEC champ in that format...honestly who gives a shit? It'll be all about the playoff at that point. But you could just pit the 2 highest ranked division champs at that point. Honestly it's not gonna matter. It'll have the same value as the Patriots put on winning the AFC East all those years (which is zero). It'll be almost better to NOT have to play in that game bc it'll be more of a distraction before you start the playoffs anyway. Unless conference champs get a bye, maybe.

This game is moving toward the NFL setup, that's where it's been headed and where it's going. If anyone struggles to see what's happening or is wondering what'll they do in ______ situation, just look at how the NFL handles their divisions and playoffs and you'll get your blueprint. Everything the B1G and SEC are doing is going down that exact path, whether we like it or not.
This is what I've been saying for a while now. They might as well just copy the NFL if it reaches that point. However, if they end up changing the rules to improve competitive balance, they might as well add more teams to the league. The only reason a lot of teams don't get any views is because they're irrelevant. In the NFL, fans watch games no matter what team they're a fan of because all of the games matter. College football will eventually aim for that same model.

Kinish

Cornerback
This is what I've been saying for a while now. They might as well just copy the NFL if it reaches that point. However, if they end up changing the rules to improve competitive balance, they might as well add more teams to the league. The only reason a lot of teams don't get any views is because they're irrelevant. In the NFL, fans watch games no matter what team they're a fan of because all of the games matter. College football will eventually aim for that same model.
its exactly what the TV networks want.. they control all the expansion

to have another NFL that can bring in similar types of money to them, its a dream come true.. but to do that it will kill some of the soul of college football

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
its exactly what the TV networks want.. they control all the expansion

to have another NFL that can bring in similar types of money to them, its a dream come true.. but to do that it will kill some of the soul of college football
Yep. The Mandel-Feldman emergency podcast today had a good discussion on that.

Mandel said it IS killing the soul of college football. Feldman wasn't so sure. He said people have been saying that for 20 yrs but it hasn't killed CFB yet - people still watch USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, ND in droves. And they still will. If we're being honest, no one watched Oregon State 20 yrs ago or 10 yrs ago or 1 yr ago.

NFL's model is to have all 32 teams finish in a 32-team tie at 8-8 (yes they went to 17 gms I know). But that model hasn't killed fandom making Bears fans or Jets fans or Cardinals fans or Colts fans or Lions fans. They still show up and sell out stadiums to support their teams.

I'm not sure that your Iowas or Kentuckys or Purdues or South Carolinas look that much different 20 yrs from now. It'll probably be the same fandom, same tv ratings, same tailgates, same homecomings at all of those places.

Only difference IMHO is fanbases like Nebraska's need to understand that that you're not aiming for 11-1 anymore. No one is going 11-1 anymore, even Georgia. New world you're shooting for 7-5 or 8-4. That's a great season. The sooner Nebraska fans embrace this, the happier they'll be.

SEC fans gave figured this out. No Auburn fan thinks they're rolling through a schedule w Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Florida and going 10-2. There is no 10-2 in the SEC. 10-2 is over. (Except for maybe one team each yr)

Last edited:

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Only difference IMHO is fanbases like Nebraska's need to understand that that you're not aiming for 11-1 anymore. No one is going 11-1 anymore, even Georgia. New world you're shooting for 7-5 or 8-4. That's a great season. The sooner Nebraska fans embrace this, the happier they'll be.

SEC fans gave figured this out. No Auburn fan thinks they're rolling through a schedule w Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Florida and going 10-2. There is no 10-2 in the SEC. 10-2 is over. (Except for maybe one team each yr)
Not sure I agree with this, definitely not right now. Georgia isn't scared of Oklahoma and Texas. They will still go undefeated. When OSU is rolling, they aren't scared of any of the teams the B1G added. They could easily go undefeated as well. Significant rule changes still need to be made before this becomes like the NFL.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not sure I agree with this, definitely not right now. Georgia isn't scared of Oklahoma and Texas. They will still go undefeated. When OSU is rolling, they aren't scared of any of the teams the B1G added. They could easily go undefeated as well. Significant rule changes still need to be made before this becomes like the NFL.
I'm not talking immediate 2023.....I'm speaking generally over the next 10 yrs. The SEC/B1G division records will resemble NFC and AFC division records over time.

YES, NFL teams can go undefeated (Patriots 16-0 in 2007)....but most years even division champs have 2-3-4 losses. Sometimes 5 losses.

Yes right now OSU and Georgia can still go 12-0...I'm saying that 7-8 yrs from now it's gonna be a lot of 9-3 teams in those playoff spots. It's going to be really hard for anyone to go 12-0 in 2031 after each B1G school has been bulking up w $100m/yr payouts.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
Yep. The Mandel-Feldman emergency podcast today had a good discussion on that.

Mandel said it IS killing the soul of college football. Feldman wasn't so sure. He said people have been saying that for 20 yrs but it hasn't killed CFB yet - people still watch USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, ND in droves. And they still will. If we're being honest, no one watched Oregon State 20 yrs ago or 10 yrs ago or 1 yr ago.

NFL's model is to have all 32 teams finish in a 32-team tie at 8-8 (yes they went to 17 gms I know). But that model hasn't killed fandom making Bears fans or Jets fans or Cardinals fans or Colts fans or Lions fans. They still show up and sell out stadiums to support their teams.

I'm not sure that your Iowas or Kentuckys or Purdues or South Carolinas look that much different 20 yrs from now. It'll probably be the same fandom, same tv ratings, same tailgates, same homecomings at all of those places.

I don't think it will get quite that far. I don't think their is enough talent to let it get that far. Pretty much everybody in the B1G/SEC is going to start out 2-0 with 2 easy home games strictly for revenue and warm up. There will always be a few teams that won't be as serious contenders like Northwestern or Vanderbilt, for another relatively easy win or 2. I think there will be 3 types of teams in these super conferences, the bottom tier that is just happy to be there and spends a lot of the money floating the Olympic sports, like Northwestern and Vanderbilt. Then you have the middle tier that have good and bad seasons, but can't consistently stay at the top, like Wisconsin, Auburn, Illinois. Then the top that can consistently compete for conference and national titles like tOSU and Alabama.

I think there will be a bit more parity in the conference as the money does help equalize things out, but the fan support and recruiting will still be a bit lopsided creating more divergence than the NFL. Unbeaten seasons will be scarce but I think it'll be rare for a top team that is competing for a conference or national title to be 9-3 or lower.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds