Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I wonder if Rhule is pursuing "win now" guys like this (3-yr starter OL) (1 Viewer)

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
You'd figure we'd need guys like this? But then again Rhule probably doesn't want to throw tons of money at 1-yr guys.

My guess is that Rhule is only gonna bring in portal guys with min 2 yrs remaining. He probably wouldn't go $650k for a one year Ocean Mathis rental. Just a guess tho.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
If the money is there*, it needs to be thrown.

*the money is there
I know what the opinion of us message board guys is - we've already approved a $10bn per year NIL budget (we could be persuaded to go as high as $11bn/yr, but we'd need to see the financials 😂).

I'm curious what Rhule's strategy is though.

I agree with you, with the portal now, you can win now. You don't need to make things a 3-yr project. If Mel frigging Tucker could win in yr 1, Matt Rhule can.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think there is pursuing and then there is getting traction with. If you're a potential plug and play starter, you're probably looking at win now first. It's no secret that Nebraska needs about 20 high level players to be competitive next season.

That's why we generally have gotten the guys who know their downside is to put up big numbers on a bad team and improve their draft stock (Toure, Palmer), guys no one wants (Kevin Williams), or guys who can't start for good teams (Bama DT transfer)

My general feeling is that Rhule is going to target a 3 year build like he's done everywhere else.
Imo

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I know what the opinion of us message board guys is - we've already approved a $10bn per year NIL budget (we could be persuaded to go as high as $11bn/yr, but we'd need to see the financials 😂).

I'm curious what Rhule's strategy is though.

I agree with you, with the portal now, you can win now. You don't need to make things a 3-yr project. If Mel frigging Tucker could win in yr 1, Matt Rhule can.
I am assuming they are approaching the portal with an eye on year 2 and 3.

But the ASU center is a 1 year guy right?

dsbigred1

Quarterback
tPB OG

I don’t think he is going to have an inflexible rule or guidelines. I think you are right with the general rule he will employ, but will be happy to fill a few gaps with 1 year guys.
It just doesn’t make any sense to get several 1 year guys because it isn’t a sustainable model. You’d have to hit with a very high success rate and also constantly be getting them acclimated for only a brief payoff.
So I think you are right that the majority of focus will be on longer term rentals

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I don’t think he is going to have an inflexible rule or guidelines. I think you are right with the general rule he will employ, but will be happy to fill a few gaps with 1 year guys.
It just doesn’t make any sense to get several 1 year guys because it isn’t a sustainable model. You’d have to hit with a very high success rate and also constantly be getting them acclimated for only a brief payoff.
So I think you are right that the majority of focus will be on liver term rentals
Agreed. They just need bodies up front right?

dsbigred1

Quarterback
tPB OG
Agreed. They just need bodies up front right?
Yes, a few for sure. I think another concern with taking multiple 1 year guys is that you sacrifice the opportunity to bring in a younger guy that year to develop and get multiple years from. So they’ll have to weigh the immediate needs vs long term potential. Which in this instance, makes me thankful we have someone that has built programs under difficult circumstances before.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I think there is pursuing and then there is getting traction with. If you're a potential plug and play starter, you're probably looking at win now first. It's no secret that Nebraska needs about 20 high level players to be competitive next season.

That's why we generally have gotten the guys who know their downside is to put up big numbers on a bad team and improve their draft stock (Toure, Palmer), guys no one wants (Kevin Williams), or guys who can't start for good teams (Bama DT transfer)

My general feeling is that Rhule is going to target a 3 year build like he's done everywhere else.
Imo

Id probably agree with this and add that I think with some of the transfers he’s targeted and hopefully will end up getting that he’s looking to mitigate a 1-11 start with a few quick fixes.

We can skip the 1-11 start which is generally where he is after year one. If he goes 6-6, 8-4, and then 11-2 I’m all in.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I think he is!

I think Rhule will have to go for some of these guys - especially spots where we literally have no one (like center). Question is how many?
Center would likely be a guy that would have to change positions... Turner would be my pick.

Why Nebraska for the last 20 years has been so reluctant to bring in guys and make them a center day 1 or just recruit centers is beyond me. It is the most important spot on the OL and when it is wrong it fucks everything up. I can understand not recruiting a kid who played center in HS because usually the best OL isn't playing center in HS. So, there isn't a ton of centers out there and usually need to be developed.

I think we have a good shot at Scott from ASU. I think a guy like that is more valuable than the OT. Both would be great gets though.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

Imo
I don't know about 20 high level players, but I agree with a lot that you said.

I tend to think Rhule will target the long game. Now it wouldn't surprise me if they get some 1 and done transfers, but I think the core is going to be playing the long game.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm not sure why Rhule would care about the amounts his guys are making outside using it as a sales pitch, he doesn't have any involvement in it (supposedly).

Seems more likely he's interested in the amount of time he'd get out of a roster spot like you mentioned.

Last edited:

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Id probably agree with this and add that I think with some of the transfers he’s targeted and hopefully will end up getting that he’s looking to mitigate a 1-11 start with a few quick fixes.

We can skip the 1-11 start which is generally where he is after year one. If he goes 6-6, 8-4, and then 11-2 I’m all in.
Yeah. We're definitely not in as bad of shape as Baylor was when he took over there so I think we can get there, assuming there were/are no horrible misfires in hiring assistants

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
Yeah. We're definitely not in as bad of shape as Baylor was when he took over there so I think we can get there, assuming there were/are no horrible misfires in hiring assistants
If Casey comes back then I think the floor is fairly high and a bowl game is realistic. A Mickey coached team probably beats NW and GA So. and makes it to a bowl game last year. We we’re definitely playing at a lower tier bowl eligible level by the end of the season.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
But I do think Rhule is fine sacrificing short term wins for long term ceiling.

He is fine sacrificing short-term wins. However, I'm almost sure I remember reading that he also doesn't think Nebraska is the lowest of lows -- like it was when he took over at Temple and Baylor.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

The Center Ben Scott I believe still has 2 years eligibility left. Has his Covid year.

I think Rhule will put together a blend of short term fixes and longer term players from the Transfer Portal. I don't think you can go all in on either demographic. Need to balance the roster. We do need to win some games next year as in this day and age fans & recruits aren't going to look positive on Rhule & Nebraska if he only wins 3-4 games. We need to get to at least 6 wins so a bowl game and signs of momentum. Finding a couple quality starters for both the O Line & D Line will go a long ways.

If we could add Scott at Center and a solid OT I think our O Line will be 100% better. I'm confident they can find 3 other good starters between Corcoran, Nouilli, Big Henry, Piper, Benhard & Teddy.

Seems like they are heavily recruiting the DE/Pass Rusher positions. Lots of rangy athletes that can play multiple positions plus get after the passer.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG

I think he (and the staff) are more likely to be surprised at the level of coaching, talent and physicality in the B1G.

The thing about Rhule, is I see him making immediate adjustments instead of waiting 4 years.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds