Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Hot Takes Thread (2 Viewers)

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
In light of today's news, time to dust off my hot take I've been dug in on for nearly 20 years:

Reggie Bush is a massively overrated football player who had most of his college success in the second half of games against one of the weakest defensive conferences of all time after Lendale White & Pete Carroll's gang of illegally-recruited & retained players had done most of the heavy lifting battering down overmatched teams. Bush was hot garbage between the tackles unless there was a hole big enough for Tanner Lee to run a QB draw through, and while he was a very good athlete, there's a reason he was very pedestrian in the NFL with a below-average YPC most years as a one-trick pony who was either going to bounce it to the outside & out-accelerate you, or get stuffed. He deserved to have his Heisman taken away just for being so overhyped.

Give me your spiciest sports soapbox speech.

1713968913788.png

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Dude was only a walking touchdown and one of the most electric players I've ever seen on a CFB field
He never even led his own team in TDs, and his abilities have taken on a Mandela-effect type of recall because of the piss-poor defenses he was playing against, and the fact that we've seen the same handful of highlights on loop for a couple decades mostly from later in games against demoralized & beaten-down teams.

Good player with the ability to provide some specialized skills to stress a defense for ~15 touches a game in the right scenarios, massively overrated as anything beyond that.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
His problem in the NFL was durability. His ypc wasn't great but he was more of a utility guy than straight RB. He became a better NFL RB after a few years of putting on bulk.

There are a lot of Heisman winners that didn't have great careers in the NFL. Rozier being one of them. Doesn't mean they didn't deserve the Heisman.

He's probably a little overrated because the media loved them some USC. He was a very very good college football player. One of the best I've personally watched.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
His average Rushes per carry were exaggerated by his long runs. I remember seeing a stat that LenDale had better rushing production per carry than Reggie. It was Reggie's long runs that made his stats look better.

Arkansas 8 for 125 with a long of 76 = 15.6 ypc ave. Without that one long he was a 7 for 49 yards = 7 ypc ave
Arizona 14 for 110 with a long of 65 = 7.9 ypc ave. Withou the long he was 13 for 45 yards = 3.46 ypc ave
and so on...

Then to go off what @2010sarenevercoming is saying, they happened against bad run defenses.
ASU LenDale went off for 197 yards and Reggie 158
UCLA LenDale had 154 yards and Reggie 260
Arizona LenDale 179 yards, Reggie 110
and so on...

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Without that one long
This argument fails every time imo because he did have that long run. I get your point that he didn't have the consistency moving the chains like Lendale but I'll take 7 for 49 and 1 for 76 over 8 for 80 10 times out of 10.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
Indiana Football made the best off-season new coach hire in Power 5. His incoming transfer class will absolutely change the full course of that program in one off-season. Indiana will be 6-0 when Nebraska visits them in Bloomington in Mid October.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Indiana Football made the best off-season new coach hire in Power 5. His incoming transfer class will absolutely change the full course of that program in one off-season. Indiana will be 6-0 when Nebraska visits them in Bloomington in Mid October.
He's a good coach. Glad we don't play Michigan State. Think Smith will have a good run there.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
#remindme in six months

doublewing

Running Back
He never even led his own team in TDs, and his abilities have taken on a Mandela-effect type of recall because of the piss-poor defenses he was playing against, and the fact that we've seen the same handful of highlights on loop for a couple decades mostly from later in games against demoralized & beaten-down teams.

Good player with the ability to provide some specialized skills to stress a defense for ~15 touches a game in the right scenarios, massively overrated as anything beyond that.
He didn't need to lead his team in TD's. He had an effect on defenses that made them have to account for a dynamo that could score from anywhere on the field. Lendale White was the power back that scored from the goal line while Bush was racking up yards between the 20's.

His impact on USC was similar to that of Johnny Rodgers for NU. JR didn't get a ton of touches but flipped the field in special teams, could return, run and receive similar to Bush.

I'd also note that every Heisman winner has a resume padded by stats from bad defenses.

Can't get with this hot take.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Bill Callahan was not "a DC away from longterm success here" and message boarders have rose colored glasses about his tenure because it reminds them of when online recruiting coverage was still new and exciting and they still had youthful heads of hair

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
Bill Callahan was not "a DC away from longterm success here" and message boarders have rose colored glasses about his tenure because it reminds them of when online recruiting coverage was still new and exciting and they still had youthful heads of hair
Cosgrove's defenses (putting aside 07) were actually pretty solid. Nebraskans just had a weird fixation for Bo.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Cosgrove's defenses (putting aside 07) were actually pretty solid. Nebraskans just had a weird fixation for Bo.
Yeah I was one of them, the Callahan/Pederson era just felt so corporate and aloof, and Bo at the time was this scrappy up and comer who wore his heart on his sleeve (his full insanity wasn't on display for another couple years haha). I think that had a lot to do with it, along with his very successful stints at OU and LSU of course.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds