Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Has Omaha Steaks always sucked? (2 Viewers)

Huskersballz

Running Back
Elite Member
Recently got sent an Omaha Steaks gift box, didn’t have very high expectations, but still ended up very underwhelmed.

Cooked up the sirloins tonight, reverse seared them on the grill, got them pretty much right at MR but they still came out super tough and a touch rubbery to the point where it wasn’t even very enjoyable to eat. Threw some of the garlic breads in the oven that came in the box as well, pretty sure they are just a rebranded Sysco item, kind of stale and I laughed at the attempt to put butter inside of them.

Grilled up some of the burgers a few nights ago and they were probably the best item, decent flavor and didn’t cook down too much, makes for an easy dinner as well throwing them on the grill, but nothing to write home about.

Made some of the hot dogs as well, not terrible but completely average at best.

Still have the desert things to try but at this point pretty sure they will be on par with gas station strudels.

The cherry on top was a $120 wine voucher that came with the box but the cheapest wine package they offer is $300, no thanks.

Has Omaha Steaks ever been decent? I have no idea how they stay in business, I guess I underestimate how many people fall for the branding and aren’t aware of what a decent steak tastes like.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Pricy and average at best quality on the meat. Use to buy a bunch of stuff there as christmas presents for the Old People. Steaks were very mid. You could get some decent prepackaged meals on sale for a reasonable price right before Christmas. This year went in and was shocked at how high the prices had gotten. Was gonna be over $150 to get my mom & step father 4 pre-packaged meals. Not even lobster or crab, more like Chicken Cordon Bleu and Beef Stroganoff.

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
It’s pretty sad when Hy-Vee actually has better quality meat for the same price anymore. Hy-Vee has gotten very expensive the last 5ish years. My MIL and FIL got me an Omaha steaks gift card for Christmas last year so we loaded up on steaks. We’ve had a few of them finally and the hyvee steaks we’ve had are better but hardly any difference in price.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
Recently got sent an Omaha Steaks gift box, didn’t have very high expectations, but still ended up very underwhelmed.

Cooked up the sirloins tonight, reverse seared them on the grill, got them pretty much right at MR but they still came out super tough and a touch rubbery to the point where it wasn’t even very enjoyable to eat. Threw some of the garlic breads in the oven that came in the box as well, pretty sure they are just a rebranded Sysco item, kind of stale and I laughed at the attempt to put butter inside of them.

Grilled up some of the burgers a few nights ago and they were probably the best item, decent flavor and didn’t cook down too much, makes for an easy dinner as well throwing them on the grill, but nothing to write home about.

Made some of the hot dogs as well, not terrible but completely average at best.

Still have the desert things to try but at this point pretty sure they will be on par with gas station strudels.

The cherry on top was a $120 wine voucher that came with the box but the cheapest wine package they offer is $300, no thanks.

Has Omaha Steaks ever been decent? I have no idea how they stay in business, I guess I underestimate how many people fall for the branding and aren’t aware of what a decent steak tastes like.
They wet age them. They are very average. People that know nothing about meat think they are great.

Kinish

Cornerback
It’s pretty sad when Hy-Vee actually has better quality meat for the same price anymore. Hy-Vee has gotten very expensive the last 5ish years. My MIL and FIL got me an Omaha steaks gift card for Christmas last year so we loaded up on steaks. We’ve had a few of them finally and the hyvee steaks we’ve had are better but hardly any difference in price.
this is why you should shop at fareway lol

Scott Hall

Linebacker
Elite Member
Yeh, very pedestrian at best. I don’t have the heart to tell my B-I-L not to keep giving them to me for Christmas every year. Much better streaks can be had at most grocery stores, and my buddies that get a whole or partial cow butchered are even better.
He knows they suck and either doesn’t like you or thinks you have poor taste and will like them. Everyone from Nebraska knows they suck, except Dean.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I got sent a gift package from some friends my first year in Alaska. It’s pretty similar to the quality of steak at the local store. There are a couple butcher shops and Costco that have better options.

I’ve just basically taken steak off the menu. It’s pretty expensive and the quality is meh.

Herbie

Quarterback
I know several posters whose mail order brides have turned out fine, so yes
Futurama Squinting GIF

Dble E

Cornerback
Elite Member
When I travel for work to all four corners of American and people find out I am from Omaha.

Them: "Omaha, they got them good steaks!! Can you send me some?"

Me: "If you buy from me, yes - hahaha"

They buy, and I have at times sent some knowing the steaks are overpriced garbage but at that point, it's too late, they already bought so when they taste that garbage they can't clawback the sale - lol.

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Omaha Steaks rely on Nebraska's reputation of having the best steak/beef in the country to make their branding work to entice out of state people that don't know any better. The first and last time I tried their steak over 15 years ago and it was some of the worst steak i've ever had. A cheap sirloin at Applebee's is honestly better.

Their branding gimmick must still work enough to entice suckers to keep them in business.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds