Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Goals for the Season

For nearly the first 30 years of my life it was to win a NC. That turned into having a good year and not get blown out in any games. It is now, go to a bowl game.
Reminds me a lot of life. 30 years ago I wanted to be an astronaut, then I wanted to a lawyer now I just want to resist the urge to go start the car with the garage closed

Win 8 games. That can include the bowl game, but it would be better if it didn't have to.

Beyond that, improvements across the board. Which would also mean we likely win 8+ games.

It's not the 9 win minimum standard, but better than 5 and 7 by a long way. Since it has often taken us two full seasons to winn 9 games this last decade or so, 8 in one season would be a good start back to prominence.

7: Bowl game. It's time. This program needs it and the fans deserve it.
Bowl game.
For the love of God.
Just saying "bowl game" means 6-6 minimum though. 6-6 with this roster however is not acceptable. 6-6 means you're basically like a 45-55 ranked team. Our NIL is not 50th ranked team level - it's top 15 level. Rhule is paid top 15 level. Our asst coach pool is paid top 15 level. Our fanbase is top 15 level. Our recruiting classes are top 15-20 level. Finishing at 48th best team in 2024 is not acceptable. So what if we make a bowl.

I think 7-5 is the minimum acceptability for the program at this point. The 2023 team was a 7-5 team we just got fucked by having no QB.

6-6 and a bowl game is under-performing for this roster (and final yr of top DC Tony White). Rhule already underperformed on yr 1. He won't want to underperform two years in a row. Off the record I think he would tell you 6-6 is a terrible season for the roster he has.

***this is just a pet peeve of mine. Too many Husker fans are going "I would be thrilled if we just eeked out a bowl game!" Reality is, we're paying for a much better team than that. 6-6 is not an acceptable result this yr (I don't care how long our bowl game drought has been)

Just saying "bowl game" means 6-6 minimum though. 6-6 with this roster however is not acceptable. 6-6 means you're basically like a 45-55 ranked team. Our NIL is not 50th ranked team level - it's top 15 level. Rhule is paid top 15 level. Our asst coach pool is paid top 15 level. Our fanbase is top 15 level. Our recruiting classes are top 15-20 level. Finishing at 48th best team in 2024 is not acceptable. So what if we make a bowl.

I think 7-5 is the minimum acceptability for the program at this point. The 2023 team was a 7-5 team we just got fucked by having no QB.

6-6 and a bowl game is under-performing for this roster (and final yr of top DC Tony White). Rhule already underperformed on yr 1. He won't want to underperform two years in a row. Off the record I think he would tell you 6-6 is a terrible season for the roster he has.

***this is just a pet peeve of mine. Too many Husker fans are going "I would be thrilled if we just eeked out a bowl game!" Reality is, we're paying for a much better team than that. 6-6 is not an acceptable result this yr (I don't care how long our bowl game drought has been)

Certainly.
But 6 wins (or more) would just feel so good.

Priorities for me are Turnover Margin, RZ attempts, and PTs/RZ Att. We averaged 9.7 RZ pts/game last year. It's a huge indicator of success. We need to be averaging 20+ RZ pts/game if we want to sniff 8-9-10 wins. Elite teams are 28pts Rz pts/game. That's why our issue is twofold: it's not only about increasing our production once we're in the redzone, it's about getting in the red zone more often. 2.4 RZ att/game is abysmalllllllllll. Elite teams get there twice as much, and capitalize on those opportunities with touchdowns. That's what we need.

Category2023 Season2024 Goal - Optimistic2024 Goal - Acceptable
Turnover Margin-1.42/game LOL+0.5/game+0.08/game
Pts per RZ attempt - offense4.0 pts/rz att LOL5.4 pts/rz att5.1 pts/rz att
RZ Attempts - offense2.4 rz att/game LOL4.25 rz att/game3.9 rz att/game
Pts per RZ attempt - defense4.13 pts/rz att4.1 pts/rz att4.6 pts/ rz att
Avg. Starting Field Position28.7 yard line31 YL28 YL
Off PPG18.0 ppg31 ppg27 ppg
Def PPG18.3 ppg18 ppg22 ppg
3rd Down Offense37.91%45%41.5%
3rd Down Defense37.22%35%38%
Opponents Yard per Rush2.97 ypc3.25 ypc3.7 ypc
One more I forgot to mention is opponent starting field position. In terms of encapsulating special teams and turnover efficiency, opponent starting field position is good indicator of doing a lot of little things right. Our opponents starting at the 31.5 yard line last year was god awful, but no surprise given the inconsistency of the kicking game, below average punter, and 31 giveaways. Protect the ball, stop shanking punts, start making field goals, and force touchbacks on kickoffs and this number will drop considerably. Opponents Avg SFP going from the 31.5 to 26.5 YL may not seem like a lot, but opponents averaged 12 drives a game last year. Thats 60 hidden yards we’re not gifting teams every game. The equivalent of nearly 4 pts/game if we hold teams to 16 yards/point….

Category20232024 goal - optimistic2024 goal - realistic
Opp. Starting field position31.52 yard line LOL26.5 YL28 YL

Last edited:
1: Dylan needs to establish himself as a college QB. Basically live up to a portion of the hype. I'm not saying he has to be a phenom, just establish himself. Anything better is bonus.

2: Gabe Ervin make it to a game in October or even......(gasp)..... November. Dude's season is usually over before conference play begins.

3: Turner Corcoran. Play good or make way for new blood. He's had enough chances I'm assuming this has to be his last.

4: Find a kicker. Any kicker.

5: Find a punter. Any punter.

6: Use Dline quality and depth to take pressure off of secondary. Sacks and TFLs should be a regular occurrence with what we have up front.

7: Bowl game. It's time. This program needs it and the fans deserve it.

Those are all totally achievable. Should be our most successful season in recent years if we do them.
Don't choke on a cock. For instance Minnesota and Cockeye games last year.

This is all fine and dandy and all, and yes we all want more than 6-6. But getting to a bowl game, at minimum, is a positive STEP in the right direction.

After watching losing season after losing season, we need some positive tangible steps that things are getting better beyond our off-season championships.

You deride fans for wanting a minimum of 6 wins, yet just one more is acceptable for you? Come on man

This is all fine and dandy and all, and yes we all want more than 6-6. But getting to a bowl game, at minimum, is a positive STEP in the right direction.

After watching losing season after losing season, we need some positive tangible steps that things are getting better beyond our off-season championships.

You deride fans for wanting a minimum of 6 wins, yet just one more is acceptable for you? Come on man
It also depends on injuries and the schedule. Going into last season most people would have been fine with how the season turned out if a person said we would get to 5 wins, but we also didn’t know the schedule would be that weak. In the end the season was a let down due to missed opportunities. Maybe the schedule ends up much tougher than we think this year paired with a lot of injuries and we win 6 games. You would call it a positive step.

Last edited:
Freshman qb and 6 is gold.
Not if you look at our pedestrian schedule this year.

I'm more thinking of our NIL benefactors. They're not paying for a 6-6 team and IMHO it'll be obvious soon that our team is an 8-4 or even 9-3 team, not 6-6.

As mentioned, the team was a 7-5 team last year, we just got buttfucked by having the worst QB play in P5.

You deride fans for wanting a minimum of 6 wins
"minimum" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in your sentence. That covers NU winning anywhere from 6 wins to 15 wins. That's kind of dumb.

I've said my piece many times. The 2023 team was a 7-5 team talent level IMHO. We've improved at almost every key position group + kept Tony White for another season. If 2024 only goes 6-6 that will be a disappointment for me.

You can be thrilled with 6-6. That's OK! You're allowed to disagree, it's a free country.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back