Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Garden variety rant... (1 Viewer)

ButchCassidy85

Bench Warmer
At what point did NU's local sports media just give up on their profession and say, "Fuck it, average is okay by me"?

Some of them are good enough writers but they're all content to sit back, let shit happen and then tell us from the back seat what we should think about it. Did NONE of them actually have the dream or desire to actually source a story, break some news or investigate and determine or expose the facts and truth about something? I get that it's easy to simply regurgitate events that have already unfolded, and be critical or take shots with 20/20 hindsight, but do they all really gauge their worth and success by making a living subsisting off only the lowest hanging fruit?

This is the precipice of potentially the largest story in the history of the Husker program (not really an exaggeration) and not one local guy has actually been out front on ANYTHING relative to what this means for our program.

I'd laugh at the incompetence of it all if it weren't so depressing that these are the people we're stuck relying in. Fucksakes it's pathetic....

1599507735380.png

/rant

Grits and Gravy

NOT A MOD
Elite Member
tPB OG
The print media is dying a slow death. The sad thing is, they seem to be fine with it. You think they'd be fighting for their survival, but I see no evidence of this.

I don't know if they've forgotten that local news is what sells newspapers, but the lack of effort in this area is what's causing their downfall iyam. Sure, it takes more work than transcribing copy off of the AP wire, but that's the business they're in. They've seem to have forgotten that.

Black5hirt

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
At what point did NU's local sports media just give up on their profession and say, "Fuck it, average is okay by me"?

Some of them are good enough writers but they're all content to sit back, let shit happen and then tell us from the back seat what we should think about it. Did NONE of them actually have the dream or desire to actually source a story, break some news or investigate and determine or expose the facts and truth about something? I get that it's easy to simply regurgitate events that have already unfolded, and be critical or take shots with 20/20 hindsight, but do they all really gauge their worth and success by making a living subsisting off only the lowest hanging fruit?

This is the precipice of potentially the largest story in the history of the Husker program (not really an exaggeration) and not one local guy has actually been out front on ANYTHING relative to what this means for our program.

I'd laugh at the incompetence of it all if it weren't so depressing that these are the people we're stuck relying in. Fucksakes it's pathetic....

View attachment 31

/rant
@thepandatangent

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG

View attachment 31

/rant
We’ve had almost 20 years of near constant mediocrity. If we were a perennial Top 10, shit, even a Top 25 team I bet OWH/LJS would devote more resources to the team.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's a good point, Butch. I can't speak with as much authority on what seem to be the motivations for the LJS or OWH, but I've seen enough out of Sean et al. over the years to offer some thoughts on what they're doing. Some of these will be more germane to the B1G scheduling kerfuffle than others, but I figured I'd just spew some logorrhea on the general trend of sites like HOL to turn into North Stadium mouthpieces and/or comment on things that have already transpired:

1) The approach and tactics seem to vary, at least somewhat, by AD regime and coaching staff. Most of us veteran Scrollers can recall in 2013 that Callahan began to become openly critical of the Pelini staff. He even went so far as to write an article anticipating his firing that was ultimately premature. The general understanding is that he either actually was or perceived himself to get burned by doing so. With someone like Pelini, taking a shot and missing had potentially dire consequences. There are also infamous stories about Pelini and his boys responding harshly to leaks, whether legitimate or not. While he was probably correct to be angry, he went ballistic on the press when Sean Fisher's injury was reported before he could contact the family. There's also the amazing Cornhusker Hotel basement story. These instances are legion, but this post is already too long.

With Riley and Eichorst, there was probably a bit more risk tolerance for critical pieces, but the hype train picked up steam steadily into 2017 until it very quickly derailed. Before then, there was literally no appetite for them among the readership, as everyone was convincing themselves we were back. The time lapse between "Tanner Lee and Calibraska are going to run circles around the B1G!" and "Let's fire everyone and do whatever it takes for Frost!" was literally only a few weeks. Pretty incredible. Still, once that shift began, it's not like the HOL boys were pulling a Baghdad Bob. They saw the writing on the wall.

The point of waxing nostalgic like that was partially just to relive some fun bullshit, but also because I get the impression Frost has more of a Pelini attitude about perceived media injustices, including leaks, than Riley did. What's more, I think he's signaled to the local boys that he feels that way. With how much rope Frost has with the AD and many fans, that's going to make Sean and crew very hesitant to do anything that isn't North Stadium-approved.

2) Recruiting sites like HOL and Husker247 (feels weird not typing TOS, might just revert to it anyway) are even more beholden to the goodwill of the staff than local writers who really only cover the current team. It's clear that both of those sites have sources not only with the on-field coaches but, just as importantly, the recruiting staff. Piss any of those guys off, or piss off their bosses who know there's some interaction going on, and you might find your site on the outside looking in.

This would be doubly devastating for HOL, because the 247 network is so much stronger nationally than Rivals now (and usually, but definitely not always, has stronger and more active regional analysts). Think about how embarrassing it must be for the Rivals guys to have Fong's predictions constantly brought over with either joy or misery but no one giving a fuck about what Farrell and Gorney think, when they even take the time to get off their fat asses and promulgate their opinions.

The main things keeping HOL competitive with TOS are RSS (despite some grumblings, it's an infinitely better board than TOS's), the staff and media resources that HOL can commit to coverage (generally more impressive than TOS, in my opinion), and Dean's North Stadium connections. Clouse is no more connected than Schaefer. So there's no unique advantage on getting North Stadium's take. 247 is usually, but not always, breaking prediction news because guys like Fong have so many connections that they hear about it from a coaching staff that's been told 'no' or 'yes' and then let everyone else know. The point is: Lose the parity HOL currently has with North Stadium and perhaps the overall quality disparity becomes so large that people don't think RSS and hot videos of Bellevue West boys are enough to justify two memberships.

3) More generally, I think Dean and Nate have eased off on trying to break stuff that is still fluid due to having circumstances change and the predictions or stories blow up in their faces. I remember well how all-in Nate went on the success of the 2017 recruiting class with guys like Darnay Holmes and Jamire Calvin. He probably had good information, but things changed and it blew up in his face. RSS went hard on him for a long time for that. I don't think he ever forgot it.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's a good point, Butch. I can't speak with as much authority on what seem to be the motivations for the LJS or OWH, but I've seen enough out of Sean et al. over the years to offer some thoughts on what they're doing. Some of these will be more germane to the B1G scheduling kerfuffle than others, but I figured I'd just spew some logorrhea on the general trend of sites like HOL to turn into North Stadium mouthpieces and/or comment on things that have already transpired:

1) The approach and tactics seem to vary, at least somewhat, by AD regime and coaching staff. Most of us veteran Scrollers can recall in 2013 that Callahan began to become openly critical of the Pelini staff. He even went so far as to write an article anticipating his firing that was ultimately premature. The general understanding is that he either actually was or perceived himself to get burned by doing so. With someone like Pelini, taking a shot and missing had potentially dire consequences. There are also infamous stories about Pelini and his boys responding harshly to leaks, whether legitimate or not. While he was probably correct to be angry, he went ballistic on the press when Sean Fisher's injury was reported before he could contact the family. There's also the amazing Cornhusker Hotel basement story. These instances are legion, but this post is already too long.

With Riley and Eichorst, there was probably a bit more risk tolerance for critical pieces, but the hype train picked up steam steadily into 2017 until it very quickly derailed. Before then, there was literally no appetite for them among the readership, as everyone was convincing themselves we were back. The time lapse between "Tanner Lee and Calibraska are going to run circles around the B1G!" and "Let's fire everyone and do whatever it takes for Frost!" was literally only a few weeks. Pretty incredible. Still, once that shift began, it's not like the HOL boys were pulling a Baghdad Bob. They saw the writing on the wall.

The point of waxing nostalgic like that was partially just to relive some fun bullshit, but also because I get the impression Frost has more of a Pelini attitude about perceived media injustices, including leaks, than Riley did. What's more, I think he's signaled to the local boys that he feels that way. With how much rope Frost has with the AD and many fans, that's going to make Sean and crew very hesitant to do anything that isn't North Stadium-approved.

2) Recruiting sites like HOL and Husker247 (feels weird not typing TOS, might just revert to it anyway) are even more beholden to the goodwill of the staff than local writers who really only cover the current team. It's clear that both of those sites have sources not only with the on-field coaches but, just as importantly, the recruiting staff. Piss any of those guys off, or piss off their bosses who know there's some interaction going on, and you might find your site on the outside looking in.

This would be doubly devastating for HOL, because the 247 network is so much stronger nationally than Rivals now (and usually, but definitely not always, has stronger and more active regional analysts). Think about how embarrassing it must be for the Rivals guys to have Fong's predictions constantly brought over with either joy or misery but no one giving a fuck about what Farrell and Gorney think, when they even take the time to get off their fat asses and promulgate their opinions.

The main things keeping HOL competitive with TOS are RSS (despite some grumblings, it's an infinitely better board than TOS's), the staff and media resources that HOL can commit to coverage (generally more impressive than TOS, in my opinion), and Dean's North Stadium connections. Clouse is no more connected than Schaefer. So there's no unique advantage on getting North Stadium's take. 247 is usually, but not always, breaking prediction news because guys like Fong have so many connections that they hear about it from a coaching staff that's been told 'no' or 'yes' and then let everyone else know. The point is: Lose the parity HOL currently has with North Stadium and perhaps the overall quality disparity becomes so large that people don't think RSS and hot videos of Bellevue West boys are enough to justify two memberships.

3) More generally, I think Dean and Nate have eased off on trying to break stuff that is still fluid due to having circumstances change and the predictions or stories blow up in their faces. I remember well how all-in Nate went on the success of the 2017 recruiting class with guys like Darnay Holmes and Jamire Calvin. He probably had good information, but things changed and it blew up in his face. RSS went hard on him for a long time for that. I don't think he ever forgot it.
TL/DR youve been assigned 3 points

SantaBarbaraSker

Linebacker
tPB OG

giphy.gif

Black5hirt

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG

giphy.gif

ButchCassidy85

Bench Warmer

I'm coming at this from a pretty "Journalism 101" type level. Based on our state's dependence on the Husker program being a vital and sustaining entity, the decision made by the Big Ten should've spurred our local media into action, imo. Have any of them submitted for FOIA information? Are any of them even curious as to "why" on behalf of this program, state and fanbase? The economic impact will be devastating if we don't play.

This shit SHOULD be right in the wheelhouse of print media outlets and you'd think they'd relish the chance of smoking and fleshing this story out.

Unfortunately, it seems like we're stuck with a bunch of dudes who've found a cushy seat right on their own thumbs and are content to just let "news" happen (and then tell us all about it once the details have already been released).

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm coming at this from a pretty "Journalism 101" type level. Based on our state's dependence on the Husker program being a vital and sustaining entity, the decision made by the Big Ten should've spurred our local media into action, imo. Have any of them submitted for FOIA information? Are any of them even curious as to "why" on behalf of this program, state and fanbase? The economic impact will be devastating if we don't play.

This shit SHOULD be right in the wheelhouse of print media outlets and you'd think they'd relish the chance of smoking and fleshing this story out.

Unfortunately, it seems like we're stuck with a bunch of dudes who've found a cushy seat right on their own thumbs and are content to just let "news" happen (and then tell us all about it once the details have already been released).

Yes, it's pretty peculiar, I'll admit. I took it in a different, long-winded direction, but you're absolutely right on this. In some way, I think it does sort of come back to what I was saying above for all of these guys: They're fat and happy, at least for now, by largely serving as third-party contractor journalists for North Stadium rather than in any sort of adversarial role. Now, doing what you describe shouldn't necessarily be viewed that way, but I get the feeling Moos and Frost like to control the narrative going out of the Nebraska outlets about the current dogpile.

I will say, in spite of all that, it is sort of surprising that Dirk Chatelain hasn't taken a run at something like this. He's already public enemy number one among the more earnest fans, so he has nothing to lose there. He's also a real journalist in substance, and certainly seems to consider himself a Journalist with a capital j.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yes, it's pretty peculiar, I'll admit. I took it in a different, long-winded direction, but you're absolutely right on this. In some way, I think it does sort of come back to what I was saying above for all of these guys: They're fat and happy, at least for now, by largely serving as third-party contractor journalists for North Stadium rather than in any sort of adversarial role. Now, doing what you describe shouldn't necessarily be viewed that way, but I get the feeling Moos and Frost like to control the narrative going out of the Nebraska outlets about the current dogpile.

I will say, in spite of all that, it is sort of surprising that Dirk Chatelain hasn't taken a run at something like this. He's already public enemy number one among the more earnest fans, so he has nothing to lose there. He's also a real journalist in substance, and certainly seems to consider himself a Journalist with a capital j.
Hunter S Thompson he ain’t, but you are right in that he didn’t hold back from poking the bear from time to time.

Now Lee...he was an asshat.

ButchCassidy85

Bench Warmer
It's complex and complicated, guys

When football is being played at ALL levels all around us, it really isn't that complicated is it? FFS that comment by Sipple is just disingenuous bull shit. It's like these idiots feel the need to make excuses for the Big Ten and conjure up some complex issues that fucking High Schools appear to be able to manage.

Blech.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds