Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Gabe Ervin (1 Viewer)

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I agree he showed a few bursts, but to me at least, never flashed what I had hoped to see from him. Very limited amount of play to draw any conclusions from though. Usually a back that flashes, does so right away though. Still not writing him off at all though, he could still end up playing a lot or starting as he becomes fully recovered and matures physically and witht he playbook/on field play.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
He had some 5-7 yard bursts against OU that I thought he displayed some serious athletic ability.

I agree he showed a few bursts, but to me at least, never flashed what I had hoped to see from him. Very limited amount of play to draw any conclusions from though. Usually a back that flashes, does so right away though. Still not writing him off at all though, he could still end up playing a lot or starting as he becomes fully recovered and matures physically and witht he playbook/on field play.
People like to bring up the OU game for Ervin but he only had 18 yards on 9 carries :(

He's obviously super young though so hopefully we'll get to see a lot more of what he can do when he's healthy.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
People like to bring up the OU game for Ervin but he only had 18 yards on 9 carries :(

He's obviously super young though so hopefully we'll get to see a lot more of what he can do when he's healthy.
He had 37 carries in ~3.5 games. Reading anything into anything based off that sample size seems ill advised.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Agreed, it's hard to tell with how limited his work was. He was getting rave reviews for a reason though. The ability is there, but it appeared to me confidence might have been the issue. I'd bet if he can fix that we might see a high quality back.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
That room got a lot better this past Spring, from the Position Coach on down. Its going to continue to improve with the arrival of Ajay Allen. One under discussed key for all of the RB's is their ability to catch the football in this offense.

Gabe caught a lot of passes in high school, but didn't really get the opportunity to showcase that skill before his injury. Rahmir Johnson quietly became one of the best pass catchers out of the backfield in the Big Ten. He basically had 200 yards receiving in what amounted to 6 games. Ajay Allen is just an all around electric player. I think he finds his way onto the field in some capacity.

Anthony Grant is best pure running back of the bunch, but rarely had a pass thrown his way at JUCO. Yant has terrible hands, and is a pretty maddening player for all the coaches. At times he looks like Leonard Fournette. At other times, he looks extremely UNathletic, like the infamous trip at the goal line vs. Minnesota.

The biggest difference is the coaching though. Applewhite is a considerable step up in Class from Ryan Held.

If Frost does end up getting fired at Nebraska, I believe we will all look back and realize his demise started the day he decided to hire Greg Austin, Ryan Held, Verduzco.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Ajay Allen
I have heard nothing, but great things about him. I am very curious to see what he looks like this fall.

One under discussed key for all of the RB's is their ability to catch the football in this offense
I think that is one reason why R. Johnson Is liked by Whipple.

The biggest difference is the coaching though. Applewhite is a considerable step up in Class from Ryan Held.
I know I heard some mixed reviews from him initially...mainly from TCU fans/a media member I'm friends with.

Since he has arrived he has been one of our best recruiters and have heard some really good things about his coaching style.

The more that comes out the worse and worse Held looks.

Yant has terrible hands, and is a pretty maddening player for all the coaches. At times he looks like Leonard Fournette. At other times, he looks extremely UNathletic, like the infamous trip at the goal line vs. Minnesota.
If he could be consistent he might be the best back in the room. You just can't rely on him when your nuts are held to the bandsaw.

If Frost does end up getting fired at Nebraska, I believe we will all look back and realize his demise started the day he decided to hire Greg Austin, Ryan Held, Verduzco.
What's your thoughts on Raiola? There was some indications during the spring game that I felt like things were heading the right direction there.

I also have heard some positives, but I'm skeptical of him given lack of experience.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds