Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

FLOOD WATCH 2024 (2 Viewers)

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Boys - been a WILD weekend in Southeast South Dakota. I’m on McCook Lake in North Sioux

Some videos and pictures of some of the most wild damage I’ve ever been around. There was a decision made to intentionally divert the flood water to the Lake. There’s a crazy discussion about whether the lake ever would’ve been affected otherwise or if this was decided for the betterment of other areas. Well - they didn’t communicate with the homes where they diverted the water across the interstate overpass to a spillway that’s reserved in case they need to direct water into the lake.

The spillway is one lot wide - long story short - they diverted the water and totally missed on how much would come through, lost control of it, and it was about 20-30 lots wide instead of one controlled pour in. So these people are in their homes with water rushing to the lake and no clue what’s happening. The road completely collapsed and washed out probably 15’ deep, 4 homes washed into the lake, it’s wild around here!

The lake has now connected to the Missouri and is taking on back flowing water from the high Might Mo on top of the Big Sioux water that was diverted. Luckily i think the pouring in has stopped and water has stopped rising at the lake (picture below) - but boat lifts are totally submerged. The lake rose about 15’ overnight/this morning. The pic below, on the left you see bushes and the top of a retaining wall that drops 10’ to a sand volleyball court, that then drops 3 feet to the walkway to the boat lifts, and the water is generally 2-4 feet below that walk way.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.mov
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_0940.mov
    2 MB
  • MOV_9717.mov
    5.4 MB
  • IMG_4972.jpeg
    IMG_4972.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42

SoCal_Corn

Wide Receiver
Holy shit, batman

And I thought the 1+" of rain in 15 minutes at my house last night was "bad"

I hope your place is OK. 🙏

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Holy shit, batman

And I thought the 1+" of rain in 15 minutes at my house last night was "bad"

I hope your place is OK. 🙏
Luckily I'm a poor and off the lake, but also NOT a poor because we raised our lot up pretty good. We should be safe from the floodwater, but sewage backup can get anyone. In laws on the lake are touch and go though. And I like my in laws...

PLA

Defensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
I talked to a guy today that grew up on that lake. His parents empty home was destroyed, and his sister barely got out of her place. He thinks the water was diverted to McCook to save Dakota Dunes. The slutty gov was at Dakota Dunes today for a photo op. I spent 3 days pushing water and septic out of my basement, instead of fishing in a Bass Tourney on Lake Sharpe. Fuck mother nature! Bitch!

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
I traveled to extreme Northeast Nebraska today and there was traffic everywhere; especially HWY 12 and HWY 15 going south to Wayne was busier than you'd have thought.

Apparently the I-29 closure near Sioux City diverted truck traffic through NE Nebraska and NW Cockeye. It only cleared out when I got to HWY 275 just south of Wayne.

Reminded me of the floods in 2011 when we'd drive from Omaha to the Ozarks and had to cut through NE Kansas. That was a wreck for almost the whole summer.

Always unfortunate when people lose their homes. But, I've never thought about building a home on the water because flooding was too close to me when growing up. But I did make the choice to build in a tornado zone, so I'm sure my time is coming.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I talked to a guy today that grew up on that lake. His parents empty home was destroyed, and his sister barely got out of her place. He thinks the water was diverted to McCook to save Dakota Dunes. The slutty gov was at Dakota Dunes today for a photo op. I spent 3 days pushing water and septic out of my basement, instead of fishing in a Bass Tourney on Lake Sharpe. Fuck mother nature! Bitch!
It is seeming like that’s the case. At the meeting yesterday they stated their calculations were saying the water wouldn’t cross the interstate it needs to in order for the water to get to the lake.

Today they stated “the whole city would’ve been knee high with water if they didn’t divert it”

The feeling on the lake is that our property was sacrificed for the saving of the Dunes.

I learned this week that I can stomach natural disasters causing natural consequences, but I can not stomach man’s decision destroying some homes over others. My big question is, did this decision limit the footprint of the flood, or expand it to a section that wouldn’t have otherwise been affected?

*it is entirely possible the “whole city would be underwater” story is accurate - but it was so poorly rolled out that the other narrative was fed more attention and certainly has been more believable to people

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
It is seeming like that’s the case. At the meeting yesterday they stated their calculations were saying the water wouldn’t cross the interstate it needs to in order for the water to get to the lake.

Today they stated “the whole city would’ve been knee high with water if they didn’t divert it”

The feeling on the lake is that our property was sacrificed for the saving of the Dunes.

I learned this week that I can stomach natural disasters causing natural consequences, but I can not stomach man’s decision destroying some homes over others. My big question is, did this decision limit the footprint of the flood, or expand it to a section that wouldn’t have otherwise been affected?

*it is entirely possible the “whole city would be underwater” story is accurate - but it was so poorly rolled out that the other narrative was fed more attention and certainly has been more believable to people
If it’s a decision made by the government, you already know what’s true…

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
We can't possibly let Dakota Dunes flood for the 15th year in a row so let's flood somewhere else for a change.
Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Another wild fact - all of the houses they diverted the water to were removed from the flood plain within the least year or two.

Then they diverted flood water there, ruined the homes they no longer required flood insurance on, and now likely will not/certainly limit coverage of the damage.

I hope someone has the balls to go after the state - because my stance would be, my property was not the victim of a flood but instead it was the victim of poor decision making

Black Dean

Dean but also Black
Insider
tPB OG
I work in the Florence neighborhood right off the river and curious if my entire office will be flooded later this week

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member
Prayers sent to the Binder family and their 15,000 acres of Missouri River bottom ground.

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member

Hopefully this Facebook video posts correct here. It’s a video of the train bridge north of Sioux City the minute it collapses

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG

Hopefully this Facebook video posts correct here. It’s a video of the train bridge north of Sioux City the minute it collapses
It did, and Ho Lee Shit, that's gonna be an expensive problem to repair.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Been following this a bit since I’m heading up to Okoboji tomorrow.

Was it just a crazy amount of rainfall? Those videos are insane.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds