Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

First Time Home Owner

I couldn’t tell you the type of wood. I’m not sure on what paint they used either
When you painted it was paint already coming off on the wood? Was it bare in places? I’m guessing it’s a priming issue or loose areas weren’t power washed and scraped properly. Some exterior paints are also way better than others. It’s hard to know without seeing it.

Invest in your yard this spring/summer. I respect the hell out of a well taken care of yard. But don’t be a pussy and hire some company to do it, do it yourself!
On this topic, my life long buddies and I all live in the same neighborhood and we have agreed the Ultimate sign of disrespect is to mow another man’s yard. So occasionally we’ll mow each other’s yards when we aren’t home and it becomes a war. Last summer my buddy mowed my yard when I was out of town for a few days and when I came home and saw it I filled up 80 water balloons and ambushed his family when they got home from church

Bought a house at the end of 2020 for the first time. Completely remodeled the main floor. Now it’s just small projects here and there until I finish the basement.

My question is: as a homeowner what are things that you’ve done to your house that you recommend? Ex. technology, furniture, DIY updates, etc. Or what are things you didn’t do that you wish you would’ve while remodeling?
Finish the basement for sure. A nice big deck helps. Bathrooms and kitchens are big for resale.

A lot already mentioned but fixtures are definitely one thing that can be updated inexpensively. As well as painting trim, white trim is definitely in right now compared to oak.

I bought my first house over the summer, 100 year old house in Benson that I spent most of the fall renovating. Biggest thing was taking out the top half of the wall between the kitchen and living room to create an open concept and I put a bar top in where the wall used to be. New countertops as well in the kitchen with new LVT flooring and stainless steel appliances. Did not do anything to the cabinets besides updating the fixtures. Got a new toilet, vanity & mirror in the bathroom as well as replacing the flooring with LVT. Guy that owned the place before was a smoker and the bathroom had the worst smell in the house. Got all new trim and painted white since the trim was just 1x6s that were nailed into the walls and looked like shit. Also repainted the entire interior. Shittiest part was taking the lathe and plaster out of the closet in the master bedroom and replacing it with drywall. The plaster was all cracked and about to fall out so it had to be done. Also got new carpet which I kind of regret, wish I would've just LVT'd the entire place as it will be turned into a rental sometime in the next couple of years. I'm getting it re-appraised this summer and hoping I will get enough equity to pull out and do it all over again on another house.

Ivd been on some of the Hausmann shit shows. The bigger the job the more of a shit show it turns into unfortunately. I use to hate sampson a lot more, but they seemed to get better. I think a lot of it had to do with the jobs they get now. They aren’t very big. My old man also said we are doing work for for your brother now. Are they taking off?

Yep, they are doing pretty well. Nothing big yet, but they've landed 4 commercial jobs in their first 10 months, plus still doing custom houses.

He's also working on building a couple Freddy's restaurants in South Dakota and maybe Kansas also I believe.

Yep, they are doing pretty well. Nothing big yet, but they've landed 4 commercial jobs in their first 10 months, plus still doing custom houses.

He's also working on building a couple Freddy's restaurants in South Dakota and maybe Kansas also I believe.
Good deal. He told me about some Freddys and I knew we were doing a house in Ogallala for him.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back