Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

First Time Home Owner

They learned from Sampson. Joey and his top guy was at Sampson back in the day. They basically used their blue print.
Real young guy right? Unreal. I've read some stuff about him if it's who I'm thinking of. Small town NE kid.

Real young guy right? Unreal. I've read some stuff about him if it's who I'm thinking of. Small town NE kid.
Yea he is in his early 40s I bet and has a lot of kids. One walked on at Nebraska. His wife also died of cancer, so he has had plenty up and downs already.

Wife is in charge of this area. I don't care much. I'll do simple things but hire anything more challenging than changing a light fixture.

Things I like that she's done:
Changed out the hardware on all of the doors/kitchen cabinets. House was built in the 80s so it had a ton of bright gold. Updated it a ton and hardly cost anything.

Refinished the wood floors. Again relatively inexpensive and updated the look a lot.

Finished the basement. Now that its done its great but if I had to do it over again would have done it much sooner. Was wasted space before that.

Things I don't like:
Put new carpet in and then changed it to wood floors less than 2 years later. I wouldn't really care but she knew she was going to do wood floors eventually at the time. Could have dealt with the shitty carpet for 2 years. Figure out what you want to do. Don't put a temporary fix in. Do what you want now or wait until you can do what you want.

There's a fine line with that though. Our last house we didn't do much because we kept waiting to do the big project. Could have done some smaller projects sooner.

Bought a house at the end of 2020 for the first time. Completely remodeled the main floor. Now it’s just small projects here and there until I finish the basement.

My question is: as a homeowner what are things that you’ve done to your house that you recommend? Ex. technology, furniture, DIY updates, etc. Or what are things you didn’t do that you wish you would’ve while remodeling?
I bought a house from the early 2000s. Everything was Golden Oak. I got rid of all of the Golden Oak. I painted the cabinet fronts and got new maple doors and drawers and did a white conversion varnish on them. I got rid of all of the trim and went with white poplar. I kept my doors since there were 30 of them and they were solid 6 panel: I actually spray stained them a dark red. We have a system where we can spray stain on top of previous lacquered doors without stripping them. I sprayed all of my windows white and replaced all of my flooring which consisted of re- carpeting the basement and bedrooms, doing ceramic tile in wet areas and putting a high end rustic looking laminate floor in the kitchen and living room. I also redid the fire place, handrail, and little things like adding new fans, vanity lights. The biggest thing I have left is replacing the kitchen countertop. If I get time I’ll add some pics. I wish I had some before pics on my phone.

I'll do simple things but hire anything more challenging than changing a light fixture.
I hear that.

Our house was new construction in 2010 and we bought it in 2011, so it’s relatively new and we haven’t had to do much so far thankfully (e.g. painted, built a deck). Our windows are pretty low quality so we’ve started replacing some of those. We replaced the windows in our kids’ rooms this fall and may look into doing some more this summer.

They learned from Sampson. Joey and his top guy was at Sampson back in the day. They basically used their blue print.

Unfortunately also starting to pick up some of Sampson's habits in terms of treating certain subs as well. Can't imagine you guys fall in that group and hope you don't in the future.

Talked to your old man the other day, might be giving him another call to bid some work in KC.

IS1rdrvggh4q1g0000000000.jpg
20190405_203127.jpg

It looks really nice. Good job!

Also, how do you get down there now since the stairs are gone?

Unfortunately also starting to pick up some of Sampson's habits in terms of treating certain subs as well. Can't imagine you guys fall in that group and hope you don't in the future.

Talked to your old man the other day, might be giving him another call to bid some work in KC.
Ivd been on some of the Hausmann shit shows. The bigger the job the more of a shit show it turns into unfortunately. I use to hate sampson a lot more, but they seemed to get better. I think a lot of it had to do with the jobs they get now. They aren’t very big. My old man also said we are doing work for for your brother now. Are they taking off?

Bought a house at the end of 2020 for the first time. Completely remodeled the main floor. Now it’s just small projects here and there until I finish the basement.

My question is: as a homeowner what are things that you’ve done to your house that you recommend? Ex. technology, furniture, DIY updates, etc. Or what are things you didn’t do that you wish you would’ve while remodeling?

Here are some pics. I did have a few pics of some of the golden oak in the house before. I also did curbit outside and repainted the exterior. The door I posted was actually golden oak. The red ended up looking pretty good when it was all said and done.

Attachments

• 6AFD602F-A5CD-475E-AC5F-09231CD8476F.jpeg
    6AFD602F-A5CD-475E-AC5F-09231CD8476F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • FC8BC85F-308F-4DCB-83A8-329F47E573B5.jpeg
    FC8BC85F-308F-4DCB-83A8-329F47E573B5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • C692B2F0-C54B-4E4D-A856-DE9AE6AE8E4E.jpeg
    C692B2F0-C54B-4E4D-A856-DE9AE6AE8E4E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • CD92BD8E-DECC-41AB-A7F0-1155317CE9E2.jpeg
    CD92BD8E-DECC-41AB-A7F0-1155317CE9E2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 87C7030C-6D18-49AF-9DF4-D886EB3573E4.jpeg
    87C7030C-6D18-49AF-9DF4-D886EB3573E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 34A353C4-778A-4228-B275-A01F74CB6A31.jpeg
    34A353C4-778A-4228-B275-A01F74CB6A31.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • EB7F38E8-CC60-4F35-AE00-81CE31C9BBF5.jpeg
    EB7F38E8-CC60-4F35-AE00-81CE31C9BBF5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 0BD89ACB-91B5-457F-B6B5-576714359F86.jpeg
    0BD89ACB-91B5-457F-B6B5-576714359F86.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Here are some pics. I did have a few pics of some of the golden oak in the house before. I also did curbit outside and repainted the exterior. The door I posted was actually golden oak. The red ended up looking pretty good when it was all said and done.
Did you have some repaint the exterior? I need to do mine this summer but all the paint is chipping off. Trying to figure out the best route

Did you have some repaint the exterior? I need to do mine this summer but all the paint is chipping off. Trying to figure out the best route
Yes I did my own. What kind of siding is it and what kind of paint did you use?

You bought your house from some really old people I bet.

Just painting the trim on the front door made the door itself look new.
Yep, a couple lived there for 40+ years before me. I redid all of the wood floors, painted all of the trim, removed wallpaper and painted all of the walls. Definitely makes it look like a whole new home.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back