Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Finally got around to watching Fordham 2nd half (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Few thoughts that nobody cares about:
Fordham clearly outmatched.
If Martinez goes down you might as well run the option. Teach the backup to hold on to the ball
Biggest takeaway and I realize it’s Fordham…there are some young guys on the Nebraska roster that turn your head. Offensively and defensively. Specifically at WR, OL, DL and DB.

I constantly harp on this but how do Liewer and Belt get on the field and Brown and Betts don’t? Is it stubbornness? Some affinity towards a local kid? I always defend coaches because I assume whatever choices they make it is to win games. Do Belt and Liewer really give this team a better chance to win? I have a hard time believing they do.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Few thoughts that nobody cares about:
Fordham clearly outmatched.
If Martinez goes down you might as well run the option. Teach the backup to hold on to the ball
Biggest takeaway and I realize it’s Fordham…there are some young guys on the Nebraska roster that turn your head. Offensively and defensively. Specifically at WR, OL, DL and DB.

I constantly harp on this but how do Liewer and Belt get on the field and Brown and Betts don’t? Is it stubbornness? Some affinity towards a local kid? I always defend coaches because I assume whatever choices they make it is to win games. Do Belt and Liewer really give this team a better chance to win? I have a hard time believing they do.
I was pleasantly surprised with Smothers after the insidehers said he couldn't throw and witnessing a few passes in the spring game. Maybe I need to watch again. Were my expectations too low?

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
He looked okay, but it was Fordham. I think he'd get us Luke McCaffrey results if he started for us at some point this year though. In another year or two he might be a decent starting QB (assuming he doesn't regress like Martinez did).

Drue629

Safety
tPB OG
Pick'Em Champion
I watched a little of the Wagner/Buffalo game, even Wagner was able to move the ball pretty well on plays designed to go outside of the tackles. Buffalo has a pretty solid front 4. Watch Frost try to run up the middle 12 times in the 1st quarter and then never run the ball the rest of the game.

Last edited:

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Smothers actually showed some potential IMO. Do I think he's going to be a great QB? Probably not. But he seemed to make quick decisions and also has wheels which we all know we will utilize a running QB if we have that weapon to utilize.

I don't think he has a strong arm, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective. If he is accurate and gets the ball quickly to the proper reads/receivers, that is much more important than a cannon arm. He seemed to have a real good grasp of making quicker reads than AM (which isn't saying much), and in this offense, a Milton type of quick decision maker at QB is very important. Yes, it was in the 4th qtr against Fordham, but still good to see he played well enough in his first chance to play QB in his college career.

AM is anything but quick on his reads and throws, it really throws everything out of whack. Talented kid, but can't run the offense crisply as we have seen. Too many bad decisions, missed wide open receivers he doesn't even throw to, fumbles, etc. Get a QB who is snappy with making the right read and getting the ball where it needs to go.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
AM is anything but quick on his reads and throws, it really throws everything out of whack. Talented kid, but can't run the offense crisply as we have seen. Too many bad decisions, missed wide open receivers he doesn't even throw to, fumbles, etc. Get a QB who is snappy with making the right read and getting the ball where it needs to go.

this has been the #1 reason the offense has been terrible the past few years

Martinez just ain't it, can't believe Frost couldn't find a QB and stuck with this guy for so long

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Martinez just ain't it, can't believe Frost couldn't find a QB and stuck with this guy for so long

Yeah, it's hard to run a cohesive offense with a QB who isn't capable of doing it. Heck, we might be better off if Smothers ran the offense, he looked more proficient at making quick, decisive reads. I realize the sample size was small and against a lower opponent in the 2nd half.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

His inability to understand he has to get rid of the ball with an empty backfield is a top 5 frustrating thing with this team. And that’s impressive because there’s probably a list of 15-20 things that frustrate me

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds