Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Employment/Tax Question (1 Viewer)

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
i got it wrong. S corp is the correct term

I mean you personally technically save the self employment tax, but that half of employment tax is being paid by your s corporation which if 100% owned by you is just less cash you can theoretically distribute so basically you’re still paying it.

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Didn't realize that.....that's annoying. Would rather not over pay the government

That’s right, you need to look at the total tax line, not the refund line. Really you should want to owe a small amount to fall within the safe harbor of no P&I. That means the government gave YOU a small 0% loan over the course of the year.

Huskerscoop

Linebacker
Elite Member
Being a tax expert as this is my full time job is doing taxes, I would recommend you start off by being a single member LLC that files on whats called schedule C of your individual tax return. I would put away about 20% what you make for taxes because you will get taxed on 15.3% of your net income for your self-employment business. Once you hit the 30-40k mark, then you will need to look at becoming an S-corp. The S-corp has a little more requirements. That should get you started.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Being a tax expert as this is my full time job is doing taxes, I would recommend you start off by being a single member LLC that files on whats called schedule C of your individual tax return. I would put away about 20% what you make for taxes because you will get taxed on 15.3% of your net income for your self-employment business. Once you hit the 30-40k mark, then you will need to look at becoming an S-corp. The S-corp has a little more requirements. That should get you started.
Thank you. So realistically, my expectations are maybe an extra $5K a year on top of my normal gross income. I understand annually, that's not a lot, but I'm more focused on the immediate financial gain. Bills, daughter's weekly activities, nice gift for the wife, Pre-K, things like that. Trial and error for a couple years then re-evaluate. I'm just planning on snow blowing and mowing on the weekends, through the neighborhood, for a couple years, trial and error, then re-evaluating from there. My ultimate was just to figure out if the subtracted tax refund would be worth the immediate financial gain. It sounds like it would be worth it.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Constant Pain in the Ass
Stay Mad GIF

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Real Life Love GIF by Abbey Luck

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
My officially unofficial suggestion.

Not really lurking IRS agents.

But @Pipe Line

do it jewish GIF
lol just unofficially curious, what's the tax penalty/fine if caught? I think you can still claim a few thousand on taxes even if you don't have an LLC and be good right? Or just shut the hell up about it during tax season completely?

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
lol just unofficially curious, what's the tax penalty/fine if caught? I think you can still claim a few thousand on taxes even if you don't have an LLC and be good right? Or just shut the hell up about it during tax season completely?
Pepper your angus to go to jail

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Would depend on the tax owed. Somewhere between 5%-20% of the tax. So 10k revenue you've probably got at least 4k deductible expenses. 6k net round number 30% tax 1,800 tax. In that situation 5% penalty. Interest from April 15th of the year following the income. Interest rates change monthly.

Rise to Power

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'll never understand people hesitating to make more money because they will have to pay more taxes...

I guess if it boosts you into some entirely new bracket that is justified, but there are ways to account for that.

Anyway, cash is always king. No checks, PayPal, Venmo, CashApp etc. Just old fashioned cash.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Would depend on the tax owed. Somewhere between 5%-20% of the tax. So 10k revenue you've probably got at least 4k deductible expenses. 6k net round number 30% tax 1,800 tax. In that situation 5% penalty. Interest from April 15th of the year following the income. Interest rates change monthly.
So in that situation, is that 5% of $1800 in penalty?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds