Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Dennis Dodd mentions Kalen Deboer as a name to watch (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
DeBoer is getting 16.5M over 5 years. Let's say we pay sign him to 7 years total 56M - maybe starting at 7m, escalating to 9mat the end.

It costs 12M to buy him out. That brings the total to $66M, or about $9.5 per year

That's only slightly less than Rhule is apparently asking but he's likely to stay as long as we want him. We would also be able structure a high buyout if he leaves anyway, given we had to pay so much upfront. He'd be locked in.

That might be plausible

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
DeBoer is getting 16.5M over 5 years. Let's say we pay sign him to 7 years total 56M - maybe starting at 7m, escalating to 9mat the end.

It costs 12M to buy him out. That brings the total to $66M, or about $9.5 per year

That's only slightly less than Rhule is apparently asking but he's likely to stay as long as we want him. We would also be able structure a high buyout if he leaves anyway, given we had to pay so much upfront. He'd be locked in.

That might be plausible
I wouldn’t hate this hire.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
I wouldn’t hate this hire.

I would love it:
- Big Ten Coordinator Experience
- P5 Coaching Experience
- Successful Coaching Resume (Sioux Falls)
- Hyperorganized, record of development
- Portal bonafides (++ talent evaluation)
- Turnaround bonafides (++ program building)
- Also not a complete limpdick

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
DeBoer would be a great hire.

I still believe it's Rhule. Solid evidence that he was here with an offer, purely speculative that he rejected us.
The terms “sources” from the media is being thrown out wayyyyy too often.

Their “sources” are probably bums sitting beside the dumpster at the nearest 7-11.

So Sip.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
The terms “sources” from the media is being thrown out wayyyyy too often.

Their “sources” are probably bums sitting beside the dumpster at the nearest 7-11.

So Sip.

Or as they have openly admitted on RSS, agents are their sources.

If agents are telling the media that Rhule turned us down, then Rhule was never our guy and he never had an offer.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

If agents are telling the media that Rhule turned us down, then Rhule was never our guy and he never had an offer.
We likely negotiated a package he would take if Carolina accepted it as FMV and it fell through when the Panthers didn't budge.

Technically, he could frame that as if he said no, but we would have viewed it as a contingent offer anyway.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

That might be plausible
Remember the private jet that went Omaha to Portland last week. I think you had tied that to possibly being UNL related?

My original guess is that we flew in to Portland to see DeBoer (flying into Seattle is too obvious). It's a 3 yr drive from Portland to Seattle, not too bad. We would have driven up to see him obviously.

Just a guess/speculation. I don't think he'd leave there after one year though. He's very popular there already.

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
Interesting article and there’s no mention of MJ for ASU and the Bronc M stuff was for Colorado.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
If Turd has turned his attention to Deboer, that would be fine with me. Say what we want about Leipold or Deboer, the best thing about those guys is they definitely want to coach here. I think there are a lot of benefits to hiring a guy like that.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
If Turd has turned his attention to Deboer, that would be fine with me. Say what we want about Leipold or Deboer, the best thing about those guys is they definitely want to coach here. I think there are a lot of benefits to hiring a guy like that.
I assumed whoever takes the Nebraska job wants to be here. That can't be the best thing about those guys.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Interesting article and there’s no mention of MJ for ASU and the Bronc M stuff was for Colorado.

Mickey was always a weird fit at ASU - I've heard his name put up for Memphis and Tulane, great fits there. I think they make a late hire. A lot to sort out in that ath dept.

I heard Steven Godfrey say two weeks ago that Colorado was between Tom Herman, Gary P, and Bronco and that still seems to be the case. I think the Bronco/NU stuff is a combo of his agent trying to work Colorado for leverage and Bronco's wishful thinking. Nice guy but no thanks. He'll probably be CU's next head coach if Illinois DC doesn't want it

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG

Agents notoriously are trying to leverage open coaching positions to try and get their guy a raise. Of course they are going to want to make Nebraska want to look desperate - all of a sudden one of their guys gets mentioned for the position and their school is forced to step up with more money. Agents aren't going to say that its a done deal - that doesn't benefit them or their client.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Did Frost really want to be here or was he convinced to come here? I think there's a difference in motivation level between the two.
That’s an interesting question. He said he wanted to be here and loved Nebraska all the time. You think he didn’t because it took convincing to hire him?

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
That’s an interesting question. He said he wanted to be here and loved Nebraska all the time. You think he didn’t because it took convincing to hire him?
We definitely know that it took a lot of convincing to finally get him to come back to Nebraska. After all of the things he was rumored to have done behind the scenes, I can't say he sounded like a guy that really wanted the job. He constantly talked about how badly he wanted to turn this place around, but then he always talked about wanting to be deer hunting or golfing. That just sounds to me like a guy that was convinced he wanted to be here when deep down he never really did.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds