Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

December recruiting thread (1 Viewer)

kevost

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
It has been alleged that WalMart people are ponying up a ton of cash. I have no idea if that's true, but that's the rumor
Wouldn’t surprise me. There is a ton of wealth in that town for its size. Tons. Kroenke and Laurie have enough money between their families to do anything. They weren’t ever names I heard get brought up for NIL but it’s certainly possible and would make a ton of sense after a successful football season.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Maraad Watson decommitted from Kent St, looks to be headed to Tennessee after an OV there last weekend, or perhaps Syracuse.

New Jersey D-lineman set to choose between two after official visit to Tennessee

Maraad Watson is nearing the end of what’s become a fast-moving recruitment with a decision coming soon following his official visit to Tennessee this weekend.

PATRICK BROWNDec 17th, 9:15 AMVIP19

Things have been moving fast for Maraad Watson over the past couple of weeks, and though that’s not anything new for the big defensive lineman out of New Jersey, his recruitment is now entering its final stages after his official visit to Tennessee this weekend. The 6-foot-3, 285-pounder out of Irvington High School was impressed by what he saw in his first close-up look at the Vols during his first trip to Knoxville, which came less than 10 days after Tennessee extended an offer to the Kent State commitment. Watson said he plans to choose between Tennessee and Syracuse and reach a decision by National Signing Day on Wednesday.

After committing to the Golden Flashes on December 4, Watson’s recruitment took off with Power 5 offers coming in from Rutgers, Nebraska, Syracuse and Tennessee, and he took an official visit to Syracuse last week with new coach Fran Brown and his staff trying to make a move.

An in-home visit with head coach Josh Heupel and defensive line coach Rodney Garner this week convinced Watson to take an official visit to Tennessee rather than Nebraska, and he was not disappointed by what he saw while on campus.

“It was a fun weekend,” Watson said. “Got to see SEC-caliber football facilities. The field was huge, the stadium. Loved the training facilities. Had a great time with the coaches. It was a fun weekend.”

“Everything was new to me,” he added. “It was a slower pace than up in Jersey, so it was a different culture, but I was expecting this great football program and stuff like that. I saw what I wanted to see.”

Watson’s player host was redshirt freshman Jayson Jenkins, a fellow defensive lineman and New Jersey native. He was expecting Knoxville to be a “college football town” and the city and area met those expectations. Watson also was able to watch Tennessee’s bowl practice on Saturday and liked what he saw from Garner and the defensive line.

Watson and his family left Tennessee feeling like they learned what they wanted to learn about the Vols.

“I wanted to see if they would show love and make me an importance,” he said, “and they did. I had a great time. It was a great time. I got to see what I wanted to see throughout just the football aspect of it.”

The football conversations between Tennessee’s coaches and Watson were less of a focus during the visit and he said the Vols gave him “good information to help me get through this journey as a recruit when everything is a whirlwind.” He said Tennessee talked to him about his role on the defense ahead of the visit and indicated the Vols planned for him to play “every position on the D-line.”

With a relatively small number of visitors on campus this weekend, Watson was able to spend time with Heupel and liked the vibe from Tennessee’s head coach.

“Coach Heupel has a lot of energy,” Watson said. “He brings a lot of energy to the table. He’s a fun dude, funny, has a good personality. They said I would be an unusual player throughout the whole D-line playing different stunts and different fronts.”

Watson also was engaged in watching Garner coach his players during Saturday’s practice.

“It was a great practice,” he said. “It was very competitive. He had great drills. I learned some new things actually seeing them practice, and it was aggressive, violent – so I liked it.”

Watson said his visit put Tennessee “definitely atop of the list or part of the top of the list” and he will narrow his focus to the Vols and the Orange over the next couple of days.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
What makes you think Mizzou has unlimited NIL? I just lived in Columbia for 3.5 years and did not get that sense. They are already having to pony up for all of the dudes on the team, plus the 5 star DE from KC. I think NU matches up pretty well with Mizzou when it comes to NIL. Everyone in that town thinks they are a basketball school anyway. They were bragging about selling out 4 home games in a row or something like that this year.
Look up Bill Laurie. He's not famous for anything other than marrying one of Sam Walton's 5 daughters. (Stan Kroenke is another one - got his $$ by marrying a Walton heiress)

Laurie has been Mizzou's biggest booster. On the level of the Peed family. He funded their basketball arena a few yrs ago. They've got other big money boosters too of course.

I have a friend that has Mizzou connections and he says that once NIL got rolling the Mizzou boosters told Drinkwitz "money is no object." It's not a coincidence that the first couple yrs of Drinkwitz era the guy looked like a perpetual 5-7 coach.....now they are "magically" a top 10 team. The "magic" is called paying a shit ton of NIL $$$ on better players.

They will be a factor in the 12 team CFP era. Unless their booster money dries up. There's a reason they were in it with Ryan Wingo (the ultimate bag chaser) until the last minute. Until he chose Texas, the ultimate bag provider.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds