Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Culture (1 Viewer)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Here's a podcast/video by Tim Kight and Urban Meyer about culture.

Scott Frost talks a lot about culture here at Nebraska. I don't think he's ever been clear about what our culture is, however, and I've always wondered if some of our issues during Frost's tenure are the result of Frost's inability to communicate effectively with his team. Frost's "no fear of failure" motto has often been contradicted by Frost's own playcalling during games.

With that said, there is definitely a "family" component to the culture here. Colin Miller talked about it a year a two ago, and I think members of this board have said that as well. As far as trust, the defense definitely seems to trust Chinander. Whether the offense trusts Frost and Lubick remains to be seen, but the fact that Omar Manning has stuck around after his offseason issues last year seems like a positive.

Knight and Meyer mention in the podcast that execution is a matter of culture, which is interesting given the team's focus on execution and finishing plays during this year's spring practice.

Here is the video: Link

- when Meyer asks coaches what their culture is, he usually gets a mission statement
- wanted to build a "family" culture
- Urban doesn't like to fire coaches. His defense under #2ndChoice was struggling, and figured out that it was a trust issue
- have to develop your coaches
- Sucess is a matter of execution. Execution is a culture thing
- "competitive excellence"
- most organizations don't have core values, they have poster values
- belief, behavior, outcome
- Urban has never been in a game where the team that played the hardest didn't win
- people have to follow leader first, culture second. people won't buy into culture if they don't buy into the leader.
- people will trust you because they have repeated experience of your behavior in three dimensions: character, competence, connection
- you're never measured by your intentions. one unprepared meeting, one unprepared practice, an elite player will look at you and say, "why i am doing this?"

Last edited:

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Here's a podcast/video by Tim Kight and Urban Meyer about culture.

Scott Frost talks a lot about culture here at Nebraska. I don't think he's ever been clear about what our culture is, however, and I've always wondered if some of our issues during Frost's tenure are the result of Frost's inability to communicate effectively with his team. Frost's "no fear of failure" motto has often been contradicted by Frost's own playcalling during games.

With that said, there is definitely a "family" component to the culture here. Colin Miller talked about it a year a two ago, and I think members of this board have said that as well. As far as trust, the defense definitely seems to trust Chinander. Whether the offense trusts Frost and Lubick remains to be seen, but the fact that Omar Manning has stuck around after his offseason issues last year seems like a positive.

Knight and Meyer mention in the podcast that execution is a matter of culture, which is interesting given the team's focus on execution and finishing plays during this year's spring practice.

Here is the video: Link

- when Meyer asks coaches what their culture is, he usually gets a mission statement
- wanted to build a "family" culture
- Urban doesn't like to fire coaches. His defense under #2ndChoice was struggling, and figured out that it was a trust issue
- have to develop your coaches
- Sucess is a matter of execution. Execution is a culture thing
- "competitive excellence"
- most organizations don't have core values, they have poster values
- belief, behavior, outcome
- Urban has never been in a game where the team that played the hardest didn't win
- people have to follow leader first, culture second. people won't buy into culture if they don't buy into the leader.
- people will trust you because they have repeated experience of your behavior in three dimensions: character, competence, connection
- you're never measured by your intentions. one unprepared meeting, one unprepared practice, an elite player will look at you and say, "why i am doing this?"

I love listening to Urban speak...I could listen to him all day. The guy would be uber-successful running any organization, not just a football team. I truly believe that.

One point he makes about taking over a program, and how it resonates regarding Frost, is how he gets pissed off when he hears coaches making excuses about what they inherited from a prior staff. I love this quote:

"Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players.
"You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely. I love you, and I'm going to kick the shit out of you, and we're going to do it right...
"[Blaming players] drives me insane."

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member
I love listening to Urban speak...I could listen to him all day. The guy would be uber-successful running any organization, not just a football team. I truly believe that.

One point he makes about taking over a program, and how it resonates regarding Frost, is how he gets pissed off when he hears coaches making excuses about what they inherited from a prior staff. I love this quote:

"Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players.
"You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely. I love you, and I'm going to kick the shit out of you, and we're going to do it right...
"[Blaming players] drives me insane."
Once @HuskerGarrett gets media credentials, he should ask Frost what he thinks of that quote.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Meyer also mentions that he refused to talk to one of his players after their bowl loss, kept the player out of team meetings, etc., because he was so pissed off at the player and because the player added no value to the team. Even encouraged the player to leave after the season was over. Which sounds similar to how Frost treated some of the Riley players. Meyer had 12 years of coaching experience at that point and was heavily into culture building with Tim Kight, and he led his team to a national title the next year. Frost is in year 5 and still figuring shit out.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Meyer also mentions that he refused to talk to one of his players after their bowl loss, kept the player out of team meetings, etc., because he was so pissed off at the player and because the player added no value to the team. Even encouraged the player to leave after the season was over. Which sounds similar to how Frost treated some of the Riley players. Meyer had 12 years of coaching experience at that point and was heavily into culture building with Tim Kight, and he led his team to a national title the next year. Frost is in year 5 and still figuring shit out.
Saban does that shit to when he wants to freeze a kid out. I think a lot of success is being able to pick your battles

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds