Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Chins to UCLA? (1 Viewer)

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Lulz. He wouldn’t bail Frost now.
Doubt Skepticism GIF by NRK P3

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Got a link? I didn't see it.
VIP

It's a Hot board with about a dozen candidates, making the connection between Kelly and Chins time together at Oregon and the Eagles.

Erik Chinander

42, Nebraska Defensive Coordinator

Chinander comes from the Chip Kelly coaching tree, starting out as a graduate assistant under Kelly at Oregon, going with him to the Philadelphia Eagles as an assistant DL coach, and back to Oregon (without Kelly) to be its outside linebacker coach for a couple of seasons under Mark Helfrich, Kelly's old quarterbacks coach. He was hired in his first job as a DC at Central Florida by Scott Frost, Kelly's old WR coach at Oregon, turned around that defense, and then went with Frost to Nebraska. Nebraska hasn't been good under Frost, but the feeling in Lincoln is that Chinander's defenses have been the only thing holding it together. Nebraska was ranked 29th in Points Allowed Per Opponent's Drive in 2021. He runs a version of a 3-4, which he established because of Kelly's influence at Oregon, but it could still be adaptable to UCLA's personnel. Would Kelly take Frost's DC from him? Chinander is Frost's right hand man, but he might feel there's more of a future at UCLA than Nebraska. He reportedly is a very effective recruiter. He does make $800,000 a year, so UCLA would have to increase that salary pool to get him, but Chinander might be worth it.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I mean he is likely to make close to 1mil...

It would take a significant improvement in salary to pull him away and you have to figure cost of living in Lincoln vs LA.

Plus it isn't like Chip is in a much better situation than Frost.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

It would take a significant improvement in salary to pull him away and you have to figure cost of living in Lincoln vs LA.

Didn’t Chip just get an extension thru 2025? I don’t know the buyout, but You’d have to think UCLA is far less likely to shell out a bunch of money to get rid of someone than Nebraska is at this point.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Lulz. He wouldn’t bail Frost now.
He wouldn’t bail Frost for UCLA. He might for another job, but I don’t know if he has done enough to get a much better job than Nebraska at this point. I will be interested to see if he can keep it going forward with the defense getting better next year.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

Chip is no longer on the Hot Seat and was just given a 4 year extension. Amazing how that works when you start winning more games than you lose. I do seem to remember UCLA having issues with being competitive on salaries because of limitations since they are a California State Public School. The Libs have theUniversities hands tied when it comes to spending money. But he would at least know Chip will be there for 2-3 more years. Frost is like ole Barney Fife from Andy Griffith right now as he only has 1 Bullet in his gun. He can't afford to miss his shot this season.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds