Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

We will find out about Chins this year. (1 Viewer)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
We will find out about Chins this year......but the deck is stacked against him.

I think he is a pretty good DC and the players seem to like him, but this year might be too big of a mountain to climb.
The offense is going to probably be spotty at best and I doubt it will develop into something that sustains drives and keeps the defense off the field. Have I mentioned that our ST never seems to help us with field position as well? So, uh...yeah... our defense is gonna have to perform at a pretty high level for a lot of plays and in bad spots if we are gonna have success.

How are we going to do that with the following two problems?

1. No experience or depth at the majority of positions on the DL. Not only did we lose Stille, Daniels, Thomas but a cast of backups as well. How good would it feel to have Pheldarius Payne still on the roster? Both he and Rogers were last year's back ups that had experience and made plays. Add the fact that we play in the Big 10 with their big boy OLs and no amount of Chins scheming might make up for the lack of giant bodies to throw out there. So we will try to bolster the roster with high priced transfers and other teams throwaway/wantaway DL dudes who will have missed spring ball in Lincoln.

2. We are replacing 3 out of 4 spots in the secondary. Newsome is a player but now we will throw out mostly guys with little to no experience on yet another level of the defense. Farmer has experience if you count getting scorched as an experience. We slammed the transfer portal hard but it remains to be seen if that will pay off and spring ball didn't give us much of an indication. I guess we are gonna find out about coach Fisher too.

Basically, if Cockeye were facing these same problems going into the season we would be licking our chops and talking about running up the score on those buttfucks. Chins might pull off a miracle if he can just keep the D serviceable.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
We will find out about Chins this year......but the deck is stacked against him.

I think he is a pretty good DC and the players seem to like him, but this year might be too big of a mountain to climb.
The offense is going to probably be spotty at best and I doubt it will develop into something that sustains drives and keeps the defense off the field. Have I mentioned that our ST never seems to help us with field position as well? So, uh...yeah... our defense is gonna have to perform at a pretty high level for a lot of plays and in bad spots if we are gonna have success.

How are we going to do that with the following two problems?

1. No experience or depth at the majority of positions on the DL. Not only did we lose Stille, Daniels, Thomas but a cast of backups as well. How good would it feel to have Pheldarius Payne still on the roster? Both he and Rogers were last year's back ups that had experience and made plays. Add the fact that we play in the Big 10 with their big boy OLs and no amount of Chins scheming might make up for the lack of giant bodies to throw out there. So we will try to bolster the roster with high priced transfers and other teams throwaway/wantaway DL dudes who will have missed spring ball in Lincoln.

2. We are replacing 3 out of 4 spots in the secondary. Newsome is a player but now we will throw out mostly guys with little to no experience on yet another level of the defense. Farmer has experience if you count getting scorched as an experience. We slammed the transfer portal hard but it remains to be seen if that will pay off and spring ball didn't give us much of an indication. I guess we are gonna find out about coach Fisher too.

Basically, if Cockeyes were facing these same problems going into the season we would be licking our chops and talking about running up the score on those buttfucks. Chins might pull off a miracle if he can just keep the D serviceable.
If he can figure out how to stop the run, he's golden, I think the back end will be fine. I couldn't stand him as a DC early on. Seemed very predictable, lots of Cov 1, 5 man pressures on 3rd down. But he's grown on me. The units have improved every year, and I think after seeing him speak several times, he's good. Relates to players really well, teaching points are on point, what they do is good. And has shown to try and mix things up defensively when outmatched to try and make plays.

Unless they get some dudes up front in the portal to pan out, the front is going to be a big issue. Similar to the offense. If your front isn't good, it's hard to be good is my biggest fear.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
If he can figure out how to stop the run, he's golden, I think the back end will be fine. I couldn't stand him as a DC early on. Seemed very predictable, lots of Cov 1, 5 man pressures on 3rd down. But he's grown on me. The units have improved every year, and I think after seeing him speak several times, he's good. Relates to players really well, teaching points are on point, what they do is good. And has shown to try and mix things up defensively when outmatched to try and make plays.

Unless they get some dudes up front in the portal to pan out, the front is going to be a big issue. Similar to the offense. If your front isn't good, it's hard to be good is my biggest fear.

Seeing a lot of 9 minute drives where the other team runs trap after trap on us.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Very skeptical of the D at this point. I really hope the offensive units NU face make a lot of mistakes because I have no clue how the D will ever get off the field.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I wasn't concerned about the D until we lost Rogers. We have recruited well on that side and development has been good.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Seeing a lot of 9 minute drives where the other team runs trap after trap on us.
I'm more worried about zone scheme than gap scheme. IMO. Gap is easier to fit. Zone, gaps move horizontal & vertical, and if you're not good up front vs those, then your defenders get displaced creating some vertical seam in the defense. That's they Cockeye has been so effective running the ball vs us. Gap scheme you can dictate more of where the ball goes IMO via spilling or boxing and then leveraging off of that.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
I'm more worried about zone scheme than gap scheme. IMO. Gap is easier to fit. Zone, gaps move horizontal & vertical, and if you're not good up front vs those, then your defenders get displaced creating some vertical seam in the defense. That's they Cockeyes has been so effective running the ball vs us. Gap scheme you can dictate more of where the ball goes IMO via spilling or boxing and then leveraging off of that.

Absolutely. And its rather interesting that Wisconsin ran more Zone scheme last season with Braelon Allen vs the Huskers than they normally ran all season. I'm a fan of Henrich, but he was often too undisciplined at times when needed to fill cutback lanes vs Zone.

As for Chin, his scheme would provide Nebraska with a lot more advantages going forward if the offense could actually score and the special teams units aren't bleeding yardage and/or points. Theoretically, Nebraska's defense will thrive if teams are forced to abandon the run.

YankeesJunkie

Linebacker
Frost has earned zero benefit of the doubt, but Chins certainly has, the biggest concern for me is that the DL will be so weak (depth wise) that most teams will be able to run over N, especially if Ty gets hurt.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Absolutely. And its rather interesting that Wisconsin ran more Zone scheme last season with Braelon Allen vs the Huskers than they normally ran all season. I'm a fan of Henrich, but he was often too undisciplined at times when needed to fill cutback lanes vs Zone.

As for Chin, his scheme would provide Nebraska with a lot more advantages going forward if the offense could actually score and the special teams units aren't bleeding yardage and/or points. Theoretically, Nebraska's defense will thrive if teams are forced to abandon the run.
Doesn’t every D thrive when you make them go 1 dimensional?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

Exactly. Wisky runs a lot of gap scheme typically...which tells you something. Within Chins scheme, if I'm remembering correctly, they fit by making dudes right, does take pressure off the DL, but does have negatives.

And yeah, Offense and STs needs to quit SHITTING THEIR PANTS.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Frost has earned zero benefit of the doubt, but Chins certainly has, the biggest concern for me is that the DL will be so weak (depth wise) that most teams will be able to run over N, especially if Ty gets hurt.
My concern is pretty similar to that. It's essentially, every team sees that weakness, and is able to focus on pounding the rock, sustaining long drives, and putting up points, 3 or 7 in efficient drives. It a) cuts down the possessions of the game and b) forces the offense and ST to be more efficient. and finally c) could force the offense to be more out of character to try and play catch up if it gets behind. B & C we've absolutely sucked at the last several years.

And that is why I think we will suck next year. Opposing team runs the ball with efficiency, sustain drives, take points. Offense instead of being efficient, takes risks and either turns the ball over or gets off the field quick, and the defense is back out there for a long drive. Or, STs shits its pants, and it's essentially like an O turnover or 3 and out, putting more pressure on a defense that is already out there a lot, without the number of dudes up front to hold up the entire game. Very similar to last year really, but without the man power up front.

Last edited:

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I'm more worried about zone scheme than gap scheme. IMO. Gap is easier to fit. Zone, gaps move horizontal & vertical, and if you're not good up front vs those, then your defenders get displaced creating some vertical seam in the defense. That's they Cockeyes has been so effective running the ball vs us. Gap scheme you can dictate more of where the ball goes IMO via spilling or boxing and then leveraging off of that.

I apologize as I phrased my post wrong. What I’m saying is I’m afraid of teams going very run heavy and us not being able to stop them.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
In my opinion we found out about Chinander and his coaching last year. He rebuilt a defense in 4 years just like he was asked. And that was with an offense that stunk in the redzone and shitty special teams.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
I like Chins- but he has had plenty of opportunities to make a stop late in the game a seal a dub. Hopefully it will click for him this year.
Very true. Minnesota game comes to mind. Cockeye game. Wisconsin. I would rather play an offense like Ohio State or OU because our scheme works vs. a finesse offense.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Offense…be above average.
ST…Don’t Suck
Defense…figure out how to be above average again

Bowl game.

Seems simple, yet so far away.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds