Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Child Tax Credit

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Been getting a lot of questions about this so thought I'd try to give a breakdown for anyone curious. Obviously everyone's situation is different so there will be variables.

The credit being paid in advance is part of the same child tax credit that you would or wouldn't qualify for on your 2021 return. If your income changes from the 2020 return (or 2019 if 2020 isn't filed yet) you could be over or under paid in the advance period.

Child tax credit thats always been there phases out at 200k for single, married 400k. $2,000 per kid ages 0-16. Ages are always measured as of the last day of the year. So if your kid turns 17 on December 31st they no longer qualify for the $2,000.

New child tax credit phases out at 150k and different amounts depending on age. 0-5 $1,600 6-17 $1,000. Note that the new credit includes 17 year olds but the old one still doesn't. Never understood why that didn't go to 18. Hopefully they raise the old one a year too.

So 100k income with 2 kids ages 4 and 8 would get $6,600 around half of which they would get in advance payments July-December. Compared to the 4k they got on the 2020 return.

Personally I hate that they're paying it in advance because many people will not realize it's an advance payment. Think about same situation where person is used to getting a 1k refund. They get 3,300 in advance payments (of which 1,600 is new) and now they owe $700 with the return (3,300 advance - 1,600 new credit - 1k typical refund). Yes its even better than a wash in the end but people are creatures of habit. Right now many are thinking that 3,300 of advance payments is all new money.

A $1,700 swing on the tax return is a lot to a family of 4 making 100k if it's unexpected. Bottom line know what your credit will be on your 2021 return and plan for how the advance payments will affect your typical refund/amount due.

So let's say as a family we make more than $150k, there won't be any advanced payment or we won't receive a child tax credit in general? I've been confused about that.

So let's say as a family we make more than $150k, there won't be any advanced payment or we won't receive a child tax credit in general? I've been confused about that.
The prepayment is only for the “new” one right Jim?
You will receive an advance payment as long as you are under 400k (married) and children 0-17.

I'm a little unclear on the age 17 thing. Just punched in 200k income and age 17 into a calculator and it said $2,000. I think it should only be $500.

You will receive an advance payment as long as you are under 400k (married) and children 0-17.

I'm a little unclear on the age 17 thing. Just punched in 200k income and age 17 into a calculator and it said $2,000. I think it should only be $500.

Ok, thanks. For some reason I thought they were only advancing on the additional (I thought I’d have to tell them to stop). I qualify for the $400k income limit one, but not the $150k limit one.

So this isn't just new, free, monthly payments?
And these payments will reduce our normal tax returns for 2021?
And the child credit just went up a little bit for 2021?

Where does the income cap come in? Is that just pre-payment eligibility?

WTF.

So this isn't just new, free, monthly payments?
And these payments will reduce our normal tax returns for 2021?
And the child credit just went up a little bit for 2021?

Where does the income cap come in? Is that just pre-payment eligibility?

WTF.
Correct. It is an increase to what was there if you're married and make less than 170k. Phases out 150k-170k. If married and under 150k you'll get the full credit.

I’m dumb as shit on this, so forgive my ignorance. If someone typically owes money each tax year and they get these early payments, they are going to owe more than normal next year?

I’m dumb as shit on this, so forgive my ignorance. If someone typically owes money each tax year and they get these early payments, they are going to owe more than normal next year?

Yep! Which is why you don't put freaking Liberals in charge of anything related to money... They always fuck it up!

Correct. Again depends on income and how many kids but that will be true in most situations. Situation that will really suck explaining to someone:

Married couple with 4 kids under the age of 6 that makes 140k in 2020. Get raises and make 175k in 2021.

They would get $7,200 from monthly payments July - December. Normally they break even on their tax return. They would owe that entire $7,200 on the return.

Anyone with 4 kids under the age of 0-5 has enough problems. If they don't see a $7,200 bill coming they're going to freak.

Why are you such a pretentious twat?
go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

Been getting a lot of questions about this so thought I'd try to give a breakdown for anyone curious. Obviously everyone's situation is different so there will be variables.

The credit being paid in advance is part of the same child tax credit that you would or wouldn't qualify for on your 2021 return. If your income changes from the 2020 return (or 2019 if 2020 isn't filed yet) you could be over or under paid in the advance period.

Child tax credit thats always been there phases out at 200k for single, married 400k. $2,000 per kid ages 0-16. Ages are always measured as of the last day of the year. So if your kid turns 17 on December 31st they no longer qualify for the $2,000.

New child tax credit phases out at 150k and different amounts depending on age. 0-5 $1,600 6-17 $1,000. Note that the new credit includes 17 year olds but the old one still doesn't. Never understood why that didn't go to 18. Hopefully they raise the old one a year too.

So 100k income with 2 kids ages 4 and 8 would get $6,600 around half of which they would get in advance payments July-December. Compared to the 4k they got on the 2020 return.

Personally I hate that they're paying it in advance because many people will not realize it's an advance payment. Think about same situation where person is used to getting a 1k refund. They get 3,300 in advance payments (of which 1,600 is new) and now they owe $700 with the return (3,300 advance - 1,600 new credit - 1k typical refund). Yes its even better than a wash in the end but people are creatures of habit. Right now many are thinking that 3,300 of advance payments is all new money.

A $1,700 swing on the tax return is a lot to a family of 4 making 100k if it's unexpected. Bottom line know what your credit will be on your 2021 return and plan for how the advance payments will affect your typical refund/amount due.
Why should you get a tax credit for having a child or owning a home? It doesn’t make any sense. Congrats on the welfare

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back