Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Another Saturday night

Sipping on a few of these while I tie a bunch of fishing flies that I will most likely never use. It just keeps me busy and a lot of Alaska waters have specific regulations.
ci-lagunitas-little-sumpin-sumpin-ale-469c1c7d47c82f4a.png

Sipping on a few of these while I tie a bunch of fishing flies that I will most likely never use. It just keeps me busy and a lot of Alaska waters have specific regulations.
Wait. Specific types of flies for certain bodies of water? Why? I'm not a fly fisherman so I honestly don't know why this is the kind of thing that needs to be regulated.

Wait. Specific types of flies for certain bodies of water? Why? I'm not a fly fisherman so I honestly don't know why this is the kind of thing that needs to be regulated.
In the lower 48 it’s quite common to use multiple flies on one line or streamers with multiple hooks. In Alaska it’s one fly with one hook only. Not really a big deal but the ranch streamers, with two hooks, are fun to tie.

Had about a zillion white claws last night and I feel freaking amazing this morning. Can’t believe seltzer’s didn’t become a thing earlier.

In the lower 48 it’s quite common to use multiple flies on one line or streamers with multiple hooks. In Alaska it’s one fly with one hook only. Not really a big deal but the ranch streamers, with two hooks, are fun to tie.
Can you not even do a hopper and a dropper up there?

Can you not even do a hopper and a dropper up there?
Yeah, there are some waters that I suppose you can but not really a reason for it. Trout and grayling will key on bugs from ice out until maybe early July. After that the primary food is going to be salmon related such as eggs or flesh flies. You don’t really see the massive bug hatches like you might in the lower 48 and matching a hatch isn’t that big of a deal.

Oddly enough, I was fishing the Russian River and the Kenai last July before my school district instituted mandatory 14 day quarantine. The sockeye run was late and people were killing it on dry flies and nymphs. I had a blast throwing mosquito and parachute Adam’s patterns on my 4 weight glass rod which I bought off eBay for a trip to Idaho that was cancelled.

I’ve been tying some variations of stone files as those are common up here and there’s good fishing on the Russian River in late April using stoneflies.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back