Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Aerator (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Anyone ever rented and use an aerator themselves? My current plan fell through, and I don't think I want to deal with it in the spring. My buddy says they're brutal to use, have seen some compact ones available for rent around Omaha for fairly cheap. They that hard to use?

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
I did one time several years ago and I'd never do it again. I rented a compact one and I'm stronger than hell, but it was such a PITA to load at store, unload at home, load at home, unload at store in a truck. I'm pretty sure it was 250-300 lbs. Trailer would be a different story.

Once I got the hang of it it wasn't too bad, but that took 1/2 of the yard to figure out to use the damn thing.

By the time I rented one and bought seed it was like $30-40 more to have someone do it. That didn't include my time loading and unloading and using it.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
It's like $50-60 to rent an aerator, plus the travel & lugging & labor. I paid someone $75 to do my yard (average size, maybe slightly larger). Tons of grinders on craigslist/FB marketplace that'll do it quickly & fairly cheap. Totally worth it to pay someone.

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
Anyone ever rented and use an aerator themselves? My current plan fell through, and I don't think I want to deal with it in the spring. My buddy says they're brutal to use, have seen some compact ones available for rent around Omaha for fairly cheap. They that hard to use?
I hired someone to do it for me last week. Best decision possible

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Liquid aeration

Or a starter fert with liquid aeration... I used this and was very impressed with the color.

Mechanical aeration is better when you get the area done at a high level. A liquid will get 100% of the soil aerated vs just where the plugs are. Also I don't have to dick around with the machine.

Another pro to the liquid is you don't have to worry about hitting a sprinkler head and ruining the sprinkler head.

Don't do a mechanical aeration in the spring. Your preemergent basically makes a barrier so weeds don't come up. You mechanically aerate it you basically break that barrier and ruin your preemergent.

Last edited:

redzoner

Cornerback
A group of buddies rent one every year. They give us ramps for the truck.

Never seemed to hard to use it on my yard.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Liquid aeration

Or a starter fert with liquid aeration... I used this and was very impressed with the color.

Mechanical aeration is better when you get the area done at a high level. A liquid will get 100% of the soil aerated vs just where the plugs are. Also I don't have to dick around with the machine.

Another pro to the liquid is you don't have to worry about hitting a sprinkler head and ruining the sprinkler head.

Don't do a mechanical aeration in the spring. Your preemergent basically makes a barrier so weeds don't come up. You mechanically aerate it you basically break that barrier and ruin your preemergent.

Is this the same guy with the other videos?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Is this the same guy with the other videos?
Both of those products are N-ext products
I buy them through yardmastery.com (the links I provided)
Yardmastery is the company owned by Allyn Hayne or The Lawn Care Nut on youtube

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Both of those products are N-ext products
I buy them through yardmastery.com (the links I provided)
Yardmastery is the company owned by Allyn Hayne or The Lawn Care Nut on youtube
So for the liquid aeration, it does say that mechanical is still the way to go if you plan on putting down seed, which I was going to do

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Perhaps this was already suggested but I would personally stop being a cheap bastard and hire someone.
So my buddy has a lawn service and has done it the past couple years, but he texted me this morning that his aerator wouldn't start......so here I am

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Liquid aeration

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds