Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

AD search discussion thread (1 Viewer)

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
My theory is there is more at play here than just the BOR’s and when in doubt; follow the money. I almost wonder if Turd and some boosters have not been seeing eye to eye when it comes to decision making and access to the AD.
Good post.

A MASSIVE issue is no leadership to help guide the boosters on where money needs to go. So
It turns into Turd trying to get money for his stadium project where he essentially has to shit on NIL and UNMC to try and get some money. We were light on donations for his stadium project.

That’s just one of the things that’s an issue before we talk about how he is crossing his fingers he will align with who they choose for President.

I’m gonna have an article on it tomorrow.

Kinish

Cornerback
Ed Stewart, USC Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director: Nebraska had success with one former playmaking early-90s linebacker as athletic director and Stewart holds the same background. He spent 16 years as the Big 12’s executive associate commissioner where he was a leader in global-level issues within football and college athletics. Also a former Missouri admin, he’s been in his role with USC since 2022.

Mack Rhoades, Baylor athletic director:If Matt Rhule has a say in who his next boss is, he might think back to the last A.D. to hire him. Rhoades brought in Rhule from Temple after the 2016 season and has led a golden age in Bears athletics with their first national titles in men’s and women’s basketball and their most successful football teams under his watch the last eight years. The 58-year-old signed a 10-year extension in the spring of 2022 and has previous A.D. stops at Akron (2006-09), Houston (2009-15) and Missouri (2015-16).

Diana Sabau, Utah State athletic director: A transition to the Big Ten would be relatively smooth for Sabau, who spent years with Ohio State in various roles including brand management, negotiating a Nike partnership and as a sport administrator for football. The league in 2021 created a new role for her overseeing all 28 of its sponsored sports. The Oxford graduate has spent more than 30 years in college athletics with a variety of experiences that could come in handy in a fluid landscape

Heather Lyke, Pittsburgh athletic director: A graduate of Michigan and a former assistant A.D. at Ohio State, Lyke understands the league Nebraska’s in — and she understands what it means to work at a passionate football school. She works at Pitt — a volleyball power looking up at the queens of the sport at Nebraska. This is a name to watch; the ties fit, and NU would get accolades for the hire.

Jamie Pollard, Cockeye State athletic director: Pollard publicly doubled down on his commitment to the Cyclones when his name came up as a Nebraska A.D. candidate in 2021. A lot has changed in college athletics since then — would the 59-year-old consider a move to the Big Ten now? Pollard is a longtime fan favorite in Ames and once hired Fred Hoiberg there

Garth Glissman, SEC associate commissioner for men’s basketball: A former Husker football and basketball player, Glissman has two degrees from NU and worked as a journalist in the area for several years while part of a local law firm. He took a job as the NBA’s senior director of basketball operations in 2016 and moved quickly up the ranks before joining the SEC in a leading role last summer. Glissman is an expert communicator whose transition to Lincoln culture wouldn’t take long.

Pat Hobbs, Rutgers athletic director:Quietly has done a standout job hiring the right football and men’s basketball coaches at a school whose faculty is historically skeptical of embracing athletics. The media in New Jersey is tough, and Hobbs, heading into his ninth year, has stayed in the role. He has a relationship with Adidas and, while a Jersey-area lifer, might just be ready for the same move Alberts made

John Currie, Wake Forest athletic director: A pro’s pro who worked at Kansas State, Tennessee and now Wake Forest, which has built a baseball power and been competitive in football. Currie has a reputation for being sharp and a stickler for details; he’d bring a strong personality to the job.

Matt Davison, 1980 president of the 1890 Initiative collective: Husker fans are plenty familiar with Davison, who has remained a public figure long after his famed catch in 1997. He leads the school’s main NIL collective and before that served as a key fundraiser in the “Go Big” football facility project. Few candidates, if any, would arrive with better knowledge of the inner workings of the football program.

John Cook, Nebraska volleyball coach:The Husker coach most likely to become an A.D. Cook has long demanded a high standard from his teams and been an outside-the-box thinker, making philosophical adjustments to his program through the years and embracing the gargantuan undertaking that was Volleyball Day in Nebraska last fall. The 67-year-old has firsthand experience with the NIL landscape and is already an established voice within the athletic department.

John Cunningham, Cincinnati athletic director: If Nebraska wants an experienced administrator with local ties, Cunningham makes the short list. The graduate of Lincoln Pius X who later got a degree from Nebraska’s College of Law has worked at TCU, Boise State, Syracuse and Minnesota before joining Cincinnati in December 2019. He led the Bearcats into the Big 12 and made multiple major-sport hires including football coach Scott Satterfield. Cunningham — in his early 40s — has a reputation as a fundraiser and a buyout of $4.95 million if he leaves before the end of June.

Scott Barnes, Oregon State athletic director: He is a power-conference A.D. without a power conference home now that Oregon State has been left out in the cold by the power leagues. Barnes helped get Beaver football back on its feet, and he’d jump at the chance to run a larger program. The same would be true of Washington State’s Patrick Chun, but it’s unlikely NU goes back to Pullman for another A.D.

Mike Bobinski, Purdue athletic director: Could NU raid another Big Ten athletic director? Sure. Bobinski has done more with less at Purdue, which is the third school in its state. Imagine if Bobinski had the passion of Notre Dame and Indiana all wrapped up in one job.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...03e6a3428.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Gimme Sabau, Bobinski or Rhoades

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Good post.

A MASSIVE issue is no leadership to help guide the boosters on where money needs to go. So
It turns into Turd trying to get money for his stadium project where he essentially has to shit on NIL and UNMC to try and get some money. We were light on donations for his stadium project.

That’s just one of the things that’s an issue before we talk about how he is crossing his fingers he will align with who they choose for President.

So I shouldn't listen to the Twitter heads telling me the BoR are these spooky people and deserve to be publicly hung?

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
So I shouldn't listen to the Twitter heads telling me the BoR are these spooky people and deserve to be publicly hung?
I mean, they aren’t helping themselves with this President thing. But there’s way more at play than the BoR.

And let’s have a truth pill for a second, Carter leaving for President of Ohio State and Alberts leaving for AD at A&M are both promotions in everyone in Americas eyes except Husker fans.

What concerns me is people like the BoR and even our governor publicly giving statements they want to keep Turd but we couldn’t.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
I think we all know what The Simulation wants but nobody is saying it, so I’ll be the bad guy. The Simulation requires Matt Davison be the AD.
In all seriousness if this happens…….. I might burn memorial stadium to the ground. Put a fork in it we are done.
I will hand you the gas can.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I mean, they aren’t helping themselves with this President thing. But there’s way more at play than the BoR.

And let’s have a truth pill for a second, Carter leaving for President of Ohio State and Alberts leaving for AD at A&M are both promotions in everyone in Americas eyes except Husker fans.

What concerns me is people like the BoR and even our governor publicly giving statements they want to keep Turd but we couldn’t.

I don't think that truth pill is necessary, everyone in this state knows that Nebraska's not the big dog university in the country.

I think people expected loyalty and ownership from someone like Turd who has such a long history here.

If Ohio State, A&M and Nebraska all had an opening, offered the same candidate and someone without ties to Nebraska chose A&M or OSU, no one would bat an eye over it.

Huskers12392

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Good post.

Thanks for the reply.

I think we’re all kidding ourselves if we think the political jockeying of power and money is going to change. It never will. I assumed that because of his time at UNO Turd innately understood the landscape and would be someone who would and could thrive in that arena. He often preached about tackling difficult challenges and we have to “be comfortable being uncomfortable” so I think that is the most disappointing part of this. To me it feels like he is running away from problems that are the same problems facing the UNL AD the last 25 years. Power and money.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Don't overlook Matt Davison
- former Husker (big +)
- university ties
- name recognition
- literally worked in the DONU athletic department for years. That's a level of experience in the NU AD few candidates will be able to match.
- beloved by fans
- great fundraiser
- friends with the governor
- knows NIL
- knows a bunch of former players from the 90s (great pool of potential talent for future HC/AD hires)

It's really a no-brainer.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
- former Husker (big +)
- university ties
- name recognition
- literally worked in the DONU athletic department for years. That's a level of experience in the NU AD few candidates will be able to match.
- beloved by fans
- great fundraiser
- knows NIL
- knows a bunch of former players from the 90s (great pool of potential talent for future HC/AD hires)

I hope this isn’t serious. Yeah let’s bring back Frost while we’re at it.

Huskers12392

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
- former Husker (big +)
- university ties
- name recognition
- beloved by fans
- great fundraiser
- knows NIL

Admittedly these are second hand rumors. I don’t have inside access, but there was a lot of questions surrounding his exit from the AD with most regarding his work ethic.

I’ll say it as this. Some guys are just meant to be “the sales guy” who brings in the money, but they’re maybe not suited to be the “sales manager” leading the charge.

Nothing wrong with just being the sales guy.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

You going to have a top candidate list as a part of it?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

That’s the thing. Ted Carter sucks to lose but you have to understand that one. He had no ties here and tOSU is objectively better than us.

Kinish

Cornerback
That’s the thing. Ted Carter sucks to lose but you have to understand that one. He had no ties here and tOSU is objectively better than us.
I think it was more of a favorable political climate for him as well.. the Nebraska BOR is not exactly uh.. a good thing if you swing left at all

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
I don't think that truth pill is necessary, everyone in this state knows that Nebraska's not the big dog university in the country.

I think people expected loyalty and ownership from someone like Turd who has such a long history here.

If Ohio State, A&M and Nebraska all had an opening, offered the same candidate and someone without ties to Nebraska chose A&M or OSU, no one would bat an eye over it.
Sorry, was just in an argument over twitter on someone contending the A&M AD job is not better than the Nebraska job.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds