Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Off Season Thread

Andre Braugher King GIF by NBC

Two thoughts on this.

(1) I was proud of this initially. Hey, we don’t need to supplement our athletics and pull from our state funds to run an AD. I bragged to my wife about this and her quick reply was “that’s why you guys suck”. Ouch. But maybe there is something to that. I’d like to do some comparisons to what we spend and not just the profit but some quick google searches on my phone were too difficult to piece together an actual perspective.

(2) I’m worried that we may have an actual need to shift funds from the athletics to the academics. We’ve heard we’ve got an enrollment problem, Another interesting think piece would be what does happen to the school overall if our enrollments continue to decline and how that can impact our AD.

Two thoughts on this.

(1) I was proud of this initially. Hey, we don’t need to supplement our athletics and pull from our state funds to run an AD. I bragged to my wife about this and her quick reply was “that’s why you guys suck”. Ouch. But maybe there is something to that. I’d like to do some comparisons to what we spend and not just the profit but some quick google searches on my phone were too difficult to piece together an actual perspective.
So she thinks we’re only $10 million from not sucking? I… don’t think that has anything to do with it.

Here’s what my quick google tuned up:

On the money side of things, the UNL football program brought home $95,848,584 in revenue and paid out $31,601,463 in total expenses. That is, the program raked in a net profit of $64,247,121 for the school.

(Decoldest Crawford will be on La. Tech team, Alante Brown with Michigan State, Ernest Hausmann with Michigan, but not sure if all 3 will start)

Over or under? Predicting Nebraska's 2023 win-loss record​

HuskerOnline Staff • about 9 hours
Nebraska Spring Football Game
Nebraska head coach Matt Rhule (Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images)

Summer is officially here, but in Nebraska, it’s never too early to start thinking ahead to football season.

The consensus Las Vegas projected win total for the Huskers is right around six for Matt Rhule’s debut in Lincoln. Too high? Too low? Or just right?

HuskerOnline’s Sean Callahan, Steven Sipple, and Robin Washut went through and predicted each game on NU’s 2023 schedule. We give our best guesses on what to expect this fall…

Sean Callahan: 7-5​

at Minnesota – LOSS

This is a game Nebraska can win, but it will be extremely difficult to open on the road against a veteran coach like PJ Fleck. This will be a close one, but the Gophers will pull it out in the end.

at Colorado – WIN

Colorado opens with TCU. There will be plenty of tape to study on the Buffs and new head coach Deion Sanders. Nebraska will have the physicality advantage and will try to run it right at them.

Northern Illinois – WIN

This should be a great atmosphere for Rhule’s home opener, especially if the Huskers can win at Colorado.

Louisiana Tech – WIN

Another great opportunity to get better and develop at home. My guess is this will be an early kick, and the Huskers will pull out the win.

Michigan – LOSS

By far the most difficult game on the schedule. Michigan will be a 14 to 20-point favorite in Lincoln, and it will be playing to win it all.

at Illinois – LOSS

This is a tough draw. NU has to go on the road during a short week after a physical game against Michigan. Advantage Illinois.

Northwestern – WIN

The Huskers won’t let the collapse a year ago in Dublin happen again. Nebraska takes care of business in Lincoln.

Purdoodoo – WIN

This is not the same Purdoodoo team of the last few years. Two first-year head coaches. The Huskers win this game in Lincoln. The Boilermakers lost a lot from a year ago.

at Michigan State – WIN

I like the timing of this match-up later in the season. I think the Huskers can steal a win in East Lansing.

Maryland – WIN

This is one of the harder games to call. We just don’t know much about Maryland. I like that it’s in Lincoln, and NU gets them the week after a tough game against Penn State.

at Wisconsin – LOSS

Playing at Madison and possibly at night on Nov. 18 is not a good draw. Wisconsin takes this one at Camp Randall.

Cockeye – LOSS

The Cockeyes will have revenge on their mind and will probably be playing to win the West in Lincoln. They pull it out in typical Cockeye fashion down the stretch.

Steven Sipple: 6-6​

at Minnesota – LOSS

Minnesota has a new offensive coordinator and must replace Mohamed Ibrahim, who basically took over in the second half of the Gophers’ win in Lincoln last season. But I just can’t pull the trigger on picking Nebraska here. The Huskers must prove more before it’s safe to go out on a limb here.

at Colorado – WIN

Deion Sanders’ undertaking is just too extreme to pick the Buffs here. That said, this might be a closer game than Nebraska fans would prefer.

Northern Illinois – WIN

It’s Nebraska’s home opener under the lights, and Northern Illinois was 3-9 last season. It’d be foolish to pick against the Huskers here.

Louisiana Tech – WIN

OK, looks like Rhule will be on a nice three-game winning streak after this game. The Bulldogs do, however, look dangerous offensively.

Michigan – LOSS

Michigan is a legitimate threat to win all the marbles this season. Truth is, the Wolverines’ second-stringers would be a handful for many teams. Jim Harbaugh has it rolling in Ann Arbor.

at Illinois – LOSS

Illinois has a new defensive coordinator and starting quarterback, but Bret Bielema’s punch-you-in-the-nose style will still be a bear to handle.

Northwestern – WIN

The Huskers will get a measure of revenge after losing to the Wildcats in Ireland last season. Northwestern is 4-20 since winning the Big Ten West in 2020.

Purdoodoo – WIN

This looks like a tossup game as Purdoodoo returns only 11 starters and features a new head coach in Ryan Walters. By the way, Purdoodoo made a questionable hire in selecting Walters. I’m still scratching my head.

at Michigan State – LOSS

Sparty lost starters at quarterback, wide receiver, and cornerback to the transfer portal on the last day it was open in April. Even so, Mel Tucker has enough left in the cupboard to win a close game here in East Lansing.

Maryland – LOSS

The Terps will lean on Taulia Tagovailoa to make big plays, and he’ll make enough of them to escape with a strong road win here. Mike Locksley is trying to get the Terps to a third straight bowl game.

at Wisconsin – LOSS

Braelon Allen is back for a Wisconsin team that hasn’t won a Big Ten West title since 2019. Luke #2ndChoice obviously knows what he’s doing as a head coach. So does Matt Rhule, but Allen is the difference here.

Cockeye – WIN

The game will be close, but the home team will be fueled by the opportunity to end its bowl-less streak. Two straight wins against Cockeye? Nebraska fans will love that.

Robin Washut: 6-6​

at Minnesota – LOSS

Nebraska is roughly a touchdown underdog in this one at the moment, but I could see things going either way. The Huskers have the advantage of the unknown with a new coaching staff, scheme, and key personnel. But while Minnesota has some significant holes to fill on its roster, the Golden Gophers have a clear edge in program stability. The early edge goes to Minnesota.

at Colorado – WIN

The national hype is all about Colorado right now, but I don’t see any way that Year 1 under Deion Sanders is anything but a disaster. The Buffaloes will be playing at 10 a.m. local time a week after facing last year’s national runner-up in TCU. Nebraska will take advantage and claim the first win of the Rhule era.

Northern Illinois – WIN

Northern Illinois feels good about its 2023 prospects, with former Michigan State quarterback Rocky Lombardi back for a third season. But this is a game, coming off two important road trips to start the year, that Nebraska must and will win.

Louisiana Tech – WIN

Like NIU, this is a must-win for Nebraska. Louisiana Tech will have four games under its belt coming, including a road contest at SMU. But as long as the Huskers are dialed in, and Tim Rattay and Troy Edwards aren’t on the field, I expect an NU victory.

Michigan – LOSS

Michigan is the best team in the Big Ten. It’s also a legitimate national title contender. Nebraska played the Wolverines close in Lincoln two years ago, but this one is easily the biggest mismatch on the schedule.

at Illinois – LOSS

The timing of this one does no favors for Nebraska. Coming off the Michigan game, the Huskers must regroup and travel to Illinois on a short week for a Friday night kick. That’s a tough draw, especially against Bret Bielema’s physical Fighting Illini squad.

Northwestern – WIN

For whatever reason, Nebraska vs. Northwestern is usually always wild and goes down to the wire. I expect this one to be another nail-biter, but the Huskers come out on top for a critical Big Ten West victory.

Purdoodoo – WIN

Just like Nebraska, Purdoodoo is breaking in an entirely new identity under first-year head coach Ryan Walters. The Boilermakers like their quarterback, Hudson Card, a lot, but them winning in Lincoln feels like a stretch.

at Michigan State – LOSS

I think Nebraska should win this one, but I just have a bad feeling about it. The Huskers have only played in East Lansing four times ever and haven’t won there since 2012. This will also be the Spartans’ final home game and defacto Senior Day after moving their home finale vs. Penn State to Detroit. Just doesn’t set up favorably for NU.

Maryland – WIN

In just the third-ever meeting with Maryland, I expect Nebraska to find a way in this one. The Terrapins are much improved under head coach Mike Locksley and have a strong QB in Taulia Tagovailoa. It will be close, but I think the Huskers get it done.

at Wisconsin – LOSS

There are just as many unknowns about Wisconsin as there are with Nebraska right now. Many people are high on the Badgers in their first year under head coach Luke #2ndChoice. Some are even picking them to win the West. The Huskers haven’t beaten UW since 2012.

They haven’t won in Madison since 1966. I don’t see it happening this year, either.

Cockeye – WIN

While Cockeye didn’t change anything with its coaching staff, it hit the transfer portal hard this offseason. The Cockeyes feel like they finally have their quarterback in Michigan’s Cade McNamara, and their defense will be stout as always. But Nebraska got the gold and black monkey off its back last season, and it will ride that confidence to a second straight rivalry win.

Last edited:

(Decoldest Crawford will be on La. Tech team and Alante Brown with Michigan State, but not sure if they will start)

Over or under? Predicting Nebraska's 2023 win-loss record​

HuskerOnline Staff • about 9 hours
Nebraska Spring Football Game
Nebraska head coach Matt Rhule (Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images)

Summer is officially here, but in Nebraska, it’s never too early to start thinking ahead to football season.

The consensus Las Vegas projected win total for the Huskers is right around six for Matt Rhule’s debut in Lincoln. Too high? Too low? Or just right?

HuskerOnline’s Sean Callahan, Steven Sipple, and Robin Washut went through and predicted each game on NU’s 2023 schedule. We give our best guesses on what to expect this fall…

Sean Callahan: 7-5​

at Minnesota – LOSS

This is a game Nebraska can win, but it will be extremely difficult to open on the road against a veteran coach like PJ Fleck. This will be a close one, but the Gophers will pull it out in the end.

at Colorado – WIN

Colorado opens with TCU. There will be plenty of tape to study on the Buffs and new head coach Deion Sanders. Nebraska will have the physicality advantage and will try to run it right at them.

Northern Illinois – WIN

This should be a great atmosphere for Rhule’s home opener, especially if the Huskers can win at Colorado.

Louisiana Tech – WIN

Another great opportunity to get better and develop at home. My guess is this will be an early kick, and the Huskers will pull out the win.

Michigan – LOSS

By far the most difficult game on the schedule. Michigan will be a 14 to 20-point favorite in Lincoln, and it will be playing to win it all.

at Illinois – LOSS

This is a tough draw. NU has to go on the road during a short week after a physical game against Michigan. Advantage Illinois.

Northwestern – WIN

The Huskers won’t let the collapse a year ago in Dublin happen again. Nebraska takes care of business in Lincoln.

Purdoodoo – WIN

This is not the same Purdoodoo team of the last few years. Two first-year head coaches. The Huskers win this game in Lincoln. The Boilermakers lost a lot from a year ago.

at Michigan State – WIN

I like the timing of this match-up later in the season. I think the Huskers can steal a win in East Lansing.

Maryland – WIN

This is one of the harder games to call. We just don’t know much about Maryland. I like that it’s in Lincoln, and NU gets them the week after a tough game against Penn State.

at Wisconsin – LOSS

Playing at Madison and possibly at night on Nov. 18 is not a good draw. Wisconsin takes this one at Camp Randall.

Cockeye – LOSS

The Cockeyes will have revenge on their mind and will probably be playing to win the West in Lincoln. They pull it out in typical Cockeye fashion down the stretch.

Steven Sipple: 6-6​

at Minnesota – LOSS

Minnesota has a new offensive coordinator and must replace Mohamed Ibrahim, who basically took over in the second half of the Gophers’ win in Lincoln last season. But I just can’t pull the trigger on picking Nebraska here. The Huskers must prove more before it’s safe to go out on a limb here.

at Colorado – WIN

Deion Sanders’ undertaking is just too extreme to pick the Buffs here. That said, this might be a closer game than Nebraska fans would prefer.

Northern Illinois – WIN

It’s Nebraska’s home opener under the lights, and Northern Illinois was 3-9 last season. It’d be foolish to pick against the Huskers here.

Louisiana Tech – WIN

OK, looks like Rhule will be on a nice three-game winning streak after this game. The Bulldogs do, however, look dangerous offensively.

Michigan – LOSS

Michigan is a legitimate threat to win all the marbles this season. Truth is, the Wolverines’ second-stringers would be a handful for many teams. Jim Harbaugh has it rolling in Ann Arbor.

at Illinois – LOSS

Illinois has a new defensive coordinator and starting quarterback, but Bret Bielema’s punch-you-in-the-nose style will still be a bear to handle.

Northwestern – WIN

The Huskers will get a measure of revenge after losing to the Wildcats in Ireland last season. Northwestern is 4-20 since winning the Big Ten West in 2020.

Purdoodoo – WIN

This looks like a tossup game as Purdoodoo returns only 11 starters and features a new head coach in Ryan Walters. By the way, Purdoodoo made a questionable hire in selecting Walters. I’m still scratching my head.

at Michigan State – LOSS

Sparty lost starters at quarterback, wide receiver, and cornerback to the transfer portal on the last day it was open in April. Even so, Mel Tucker has enough left in the cupboard to win a close game here in East Lansing.

Maryland – LOSS

The Terps will lean on Taulia Tagovailoa to make big plays, and he’ll make enough of them to escape with a strong road win here. Mike Locksley is trying to get the Terps to a third straight bowl game.

at Wisconsin – LOSS

Braelon Allen is back for a Wisconsin team that hasn’t won a Big Ten West title since 2019. Luke #2ndChoice obviously knows what he’s doing as a head coach. So does Matt Rhule, but Allen is the difference here.

Cockeye – WIN

The game will be close, but the home team will be fueled by the opportunity to end its bowl-less streak. Two straight wins against Cockeye? Nebraska fans will love that.

Robin Washut: 6-6​

at Minnesota – LOSS

Nebraska is roughly a touchdown underdog in this one at the moment, but I could see things going either way. The Huskers have the advantage of the unknown with a new coaching staff, scheme, and key personnel.

But while Minnesota has some significant holes to fill on its roster, the Golden Gophers have a clear edge in program stability. The early edge goes to Minnesota.

at Colorado – WIN

The national hype is all about Colorado right now, but I don’t see any way that Year 1 under Deion Sanders is anything but a disaster. The Buffaloes will be playing at 10 a.m. local time a week after facing last year’s national runner-up in TCU. Nebraska will take advantage and claim the first win of the Rhule era.

Northern Illinois – WIN

Northern Illinois feels good about its 2023 prospects, with former Michigan State quarterback Rocky Lombardi back for a third season. But this is a game, coming off two important road trips to start the year, that Nebraska must and will win.

Louisiana Tech – WIN

Like NIU, this is a must-win for Nebraska.

Louisiana Tech will have four games under its belt coming, including a road contest at SMU. But as long as the Huskers are dialed in, and Tim Rattay and Troy Edwards aren’t on the field, I expect an NU victory.

Michigan – LOSS

Michigan is the best team in the Big Ten.

It’s also a legitimate national title contender. Nebraska played the Wolverines close in Lincoln two years ago, but this one is easily the biggest mismatch on the schedule.

at Illinois – LOSS

The timing of this one does no favors for Nebraska. Coming off the Michigan game, the Huskers must regroup and travel to Illinois on a short week for a Friday night kick. That’s a tough draw, especially against Bret Bielema’s physical Fighting Illini squad.

Northwestern – WIN

For whatever reason, Nebraska vs. Northwestern is usually always wild and goes down to the wire. I expect this one to be another nail-biter, but the Huskers come out on top for a critical Big Ten West victory.

Purdoodoo – WIN

Just like Nebraska, Purdoodoo is breaking in an entirely new identity under first-year head coach Ryan Walters. The Boilermakers like their quarterback, Hudson Card, a lot, but them winning in Lincoln feels like a stretch.

at Michigan State – LOSS

I think Nebraska should win this one, but I just have a bad feeling about it. The Huskers have only played in East Lansing four times ever and haven’t won there since 2012.

This will also be the Spartans’ final home game and defacto Senior Day after moving their home finale vs. Penn State to Detroit. Just doesn’t set up favorably for NU.

Maryland – WIN

In just the third-ever meeting with Maryland, I expect Nebraska to find a way in this one. The Terrapins are much improved under head coach Mike Locksley and have a strong QB in Taulia Tagovailoa. It will be close, but I think the Huskers get it done.

at Wisconsin – LOSS

There are just as many unknowns about Wisconsin as there are with Nebraska right now. Many people are high on the Badgers in their first year under head coach Luke #2ndChoice. Some are even picking them to win the West. The Huskers haven’t beaten UW since 2012.

They haven’t won in Madison since 1966. I don’t see it happening this year, either.

Cockeye – WIN

While Cockeye didn’t change anything with its coaching staff, it hit the transfer portal hard this offseason. The Cockeyes feel like they finally have their quarterback in Michigan’s Cade McNamara, and their defense will be stout as always.

But Nebraska got the gold and black monkey off its back last season, and it will ride that confidence to a second straight rivalry win.
Good God it's June and they are already putting stuff like this out. Gonna be a long summer over there.

I'll take a shot at this:
@ Minnesota - Close Loss. Minnesota is replacing some really good lineman, possibly the best RB in Minnesota history and some good defenders. But Fleck is a good coach and their DC is a stud. If this were later in the year, maybe I pick Nebraska. But not in this spot.

@ Colorado - Win

Northern Illinois - Win

Louisiana Tech - Win

Michigan - Loss. Michigan basically has a 4 game runway to figure out any kinks as they have only 1 power 5 game before Nebraska and it's Rutgers at home. The only saving grace is this will be their first time to leave Michigan. But they are too good for Nebraska

@ Illinois - Close loss. Illinois is replacing a great DC and a ton of talent. Will they be 5-1 or 3-3 going into this game? Maybe Nebraska can clip them and get some momentum going into the bye. But coming off a short week, going on the road after playing the most physical team possibly in the country is rough. Illinois is coming off a road game at Purdoodoo though vs a coach that knows them better than anybody.

Bye

Northwestern - Win. Both teams coming off a bye. The difference is that Northwestern is actually coming off of a 2 week bye because they play Howard on Oct 7. But will likely be 2-4 at best coming to Lincoln. And outside of the covid year they have been the worst p5 offense for like 7 years.

Purdoodoo - Win. Purdoodoo will be coming off of a bye when they travel to Lincoln. But man the opening up to Walters career as a HC is rough. Their only non-P5 game is Fresno St. Then its @ Va Tech, Cuse, Wisconsin, Illinoi @ Cockeye and then Ohio St. Will they be alive after that 4 game run into the bye? They will be challenged that's for sure. I like Nebraska here.

@ Michigan St - Win. Nebraska on Nov 4 is sandwiched right in the middle of a tough run for Michigan St. They are at Minnesota 6 days before that and 1 week later have to go to Columbus. I think there is an outside chance that the wheels have fallen off in East Lansing when the Huskers get there. Sparty could likely be 3-5 by then.

Maryland - Loss. Maryland could be ranked nationally coming to Lincoln. I think they could possibly be 7-2. Is this a trap game for the Terps? This game is on the road from them and sandwiched between Penn State and Michigan.

@ Wisconsin - Loss. What's the weather going to be like in Madison on Nov 18? Can they get Braelon Allen going in that spread offense? I think Wisconsin wins this game.

Cockeye - Win. Nah eff those guys.

7-5

Seems like he's really factoring in the "short week" stuff. Would playing the game 16 hours later really make that much of a difference?
(I'm figuring a 7 p.m. Friday start to an 11 a.m. Saturday game)
Is 5 days and 19 hours of rest really that different from 6 days of rest?

Last edited:

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back