Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread (2 Viewers)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

jizz GIF

blackshirt84

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
I'm disappointed by the spacing. Could've been much tighter.

Also - let's do some real pranks...anyone ever do Axe Bombs? only reason I ever bought a can of Axe was to fill a dorm room with clouds of that way-too-intense smell.

I lived in Harper Hall.. we got back from some parties on a Friday night and my room looked directly into the elevator lobby. We took a lobby trash can into the shower and filled it halfway with water.

We carried it out and leaned it up against the elevator doors. About 20 minutes later a bunch of drunk kids stopped on our floor and about 20 gallons of water got their ass.

Classic.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Lmao listening to all the players bitch about the dorms has light-heartedly showed me they’ve been a bit babied the last few years.

Take any D2/D3 football team and throw them in the dorms for fall camp and you’d never hear a word about it. Toughen up guys.

Not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with a hot take, but come on - you’re college kids.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Lmao listening to all the players bitch about the dorms has light-heartedly showed me they’ve been a bit babied the last few years.

Take any D2/D3 football team and throw them in the dorms for fall camp and you’d never hear a word about it. Toughen up guys.

Not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with a hot take, but come on - you’re college kids.
My dorm room my freshman year in Fremont didn't have A/C.....in August.....I don't think the entire building did. I just had a box fan in the window. That was horrible.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Nebraska offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield met with the media on Thursday morning to discuss the Huskers latest fall camp practice.

The offensive coordinator said the energy and effort has been where the team wants things, but also took steps to avoid real singling anyone out early in camp as everyone has been putting in the work.

Still plenty of comments worth looking into across his eight minutes behind the podium:

— Nebraska doesn’t have Bo Jackson. At least that’s the takeaway from Satterfield on why the Huskers are likely to employ the services of all of Anthony Grant, Gabe Ervin and Rahmir Johnson.

“The preference is to have Bo Jackson, but you know there’s not a lot of Bo Jacksons out there, so we’ve got a room full of really talented guys that do a lot of different things. We don’t want one of those five running backs get two carries a game thing, so we want some guys that have a role in an offense, but it’s going to take more than just one this year for us to be successful.”

— Satterfield said he’s excited about the speed of the freshmen wide receivers. The offensive coordinator quickly pointed out that the young receivers don’t know what they’re doing yet, but he’s excited about the skillset they position.

On a follow-up question, Satterfield said in his experience some of the younger guys show the ability to help already in September, but they’re always trying to identify the best times to get freshmen in when they’re showing through practice that they’re ready to help the team.

— Fullback talk emerged on Thursday and Satterfield said he anticipates the role being used in a variety of ways in Nebraska’s offense.

“No target on carries, and not trying to have coach talk here, but there will be certain games, certain defenses where fullbacks will be utilized more,” Satterfield said. “It’ll fluctuate.”

— Satterfield said there’s no preference or ratio for him with running or passing, but he said the goal is to be able to do both at a high-level on the field. The offensive coordinator gave the example of needing to be able to run the ball just as effectively in the red zone.

“Different phases of the game ask you to be able to run the ball and throw the ball, so we need to be able to do both at a high level.”

— Nebraska’s started fall camp well even if Satterfield said it’s early to get into specifics. Mostly the offensive coordinator said he appreciates the work that was put in ahead of fall camp and through the summer that allowed thins to start relatively smoothly.

“They made a huge jump in the summer as a unit of knowing what to do and how we do it,” he said. “Our leadership is starting to step up at the top. They had a great summer. Strength staff did an unbelievable job, player run practices the leaders on our offense did a nice job and you can tell it’s a lot smoother transition obviously from the spring to the fall camp.”

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
We got a nice mix of offensive guys at one of the media interview spots on Thursday, following Nebraska's fourth fall practice.

Behind one microphone there was running backs coach E.J. Barthel, running back Rahmir Johnson, center Ben Scott and tight end Nate Boerkircher.

We'll also have goods from offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield and running back Gabe Ervin, who Schaefer was around.

Here's what I learned in Quick Hits fashion from Barthel, with more to come on what players said:

– Barthel said he preaches a "lion mindset" to his guys on how Nebraska is going to run the ball.

"Everything we do we're going to attack with a lion demeanor. You wake up a lion, you do lion things. ... If he doesn't kill he doesn't eat, so that's the reality of how we want to run the football."

Barthel added that the representation of the brand is "really earning respect" and earning every inch. That has to start with how you run it, but also includes pass protection and setting a tone.

"We don't want to be collecting a defender upon contact," he said. "We want to have a great base and make sure we're delivering a strike that is setting the tone to who we are as a brand, which is lions."

– Fullback Barret Liebentritt got strong reviews.

The transfer from Notre Dame, who attended Omaha Skutt, received kudos from Barthel and all the players who were asked about him..

"He's really shown us how smart he is and adapting the playbook very quickly," Barthel said. "He's a guy that's showing that me that I can rely on him thus far."

Keep in mind Thursday was the first practice with real padded thumping.

"But right now everything that I'm looking for in a fullback, that Coach Rhule and Coach Satterfield are looking for in a fullback, he has right now. That sort of ability to adjust. Physicality at the point of contact. Athleticism. Ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and basically, if in emergency situations, an ability to be able to run the football."

Other guys who can be used at fullback include Janirian Bonner, Luke Lindenmeyer and Braden Klover.

"I feel pretty confident in where we are at that position."

– In a recent radio interview Barthel spoke of working with Anthony Grant on making his reads and where to insert himself as a runner in relation to the blocks.

The best thing the coach sees early in this camp is Grant is already seeing it himself if he does miss a read on a particular play. "The biggest thing is the film room. You get to slow things down for him. You make a fast error but you get to see it on film slow. So he's already starting to respond when he sees things."

Don' sleep on Grant in this competition, I'd say.

– Barthel said they're not talking about who's starting right now.

"Right now we're really going to see who represents the brand of football that we want to put out there against Minnesota."

Still in the earn-it phase. Nobody has really separated as the clear guy, he added, and the reality is multiple guys are going to be needed.

– A big deal to Barthel is making sure the young guys like Kwinten Ives and Emmett Johnson, and walk-on Trevin Luben, are also ready to play.

Also, getting everyone so they can help on special teams, knowing that maybe can only carry four or five backs on the travel roster.

– Barthel said Ervin has really accepted the daily mental approach required to succeed in this game.

It was something the coach was working with him on in the spring: how you prepare for practice, how you take care of your body, your expectations when coming into the meeting room.

"He really accepted it in the spring but now he's showing it. He's really confident, focused on the task at hand. Being a really mature player off the field. That's the key."

It's hard to do when you haven't played a lot, the coach added, which Ervin actually hasn't at Nebraska so far.

Rhamir Johnson added about five pounds this offseason.

He's around 190 now and he feels good with that running tough.

"You can see his body is changing," Barthel said.

– The zone run is an expensive run.

Barthel said that. He meant it's something you really have to work at to do well. It's been a big emphasis.

"You have to invest some time into teaching it. Because you may miss a read here or there but eventually you'll get the read and gash the defense if the ball is going where it's supposed to be with the right timing."

The mesh, the aiming points. It's a very detailed run.

– Every run is not going to be a home run or even pretty.

It's another thing Barthel is stressing.

"They got to understand that when things are messy, as long as we know where the ball is supposed to insert and we can force a 4-yard carry, every run is not going to be pretty, every 6-yard run is not going to be pretty. But the reality is when we run the ball with a certain intent and we understand where the ball is supposed to be, and we finish with physical contact, and we finish with lion effort and demeanor – we expect to collect those four- and five-yard runs that aren't pretty.

"And that puts us in second-and-5. That's a good situation."

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds