Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

I mean no disrespect to Satterfield but Anthony Grant can not be one of the top backs in the conference.

Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St and Wisconsin all have 2 backs better than Anthony Grant.

That's not to say he's awful, but come on he wouldn't be 2nd string at the top 4 schools in the conference.

After a couple days off from practices, the Huskers were back at it on a 100-degree day in Lincoln.

Husker offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield felt from an offensive standpoint there were some things that could've shown up better Tuesday.

"We need to improve on the focus, we need to improve on the urgency. We came out today a little bit flat, which we don't ever want to do," Satterfield said. "I challenged them. I think that they understand the urgency they need to play with, they understand the focus they need to play with and continue to get better as this week goes through."

What else?

– The coach thinks starting QB Jeff Sims has improved every single day, with his completion percentage climbing after a few challenging early days in camp.

"He had a goal, he wanted to take care of the football. He wanted to raise his completion percentage. The first four or five days the completion percentage wasn't as good as we wanted." But Sims and company chipped away at it, Satterfield added, "and by the end of camp it's around where we want it to be."

He said 65 percent is always a good number to target there.

Sims also took care of the ball pretty well, he thought. "And then just not being scared to use his legs."

– Wide receiver Marcus Washington and offensive lineman Teddy Prochazka took part in the practice work on Tuesday.

"Knock on wood ... we're real healthy. And I think it's a lot of how we practice and the reps that were getting at practice. Coach says all the time if you play full speed you're not going to get hurt." He expects guys to get back to 100 percent speed this week as they get their legs back under them after camp.

– With the heat above 100 through at least Thursday this week, Satterfield said the Huskers have been bouncing between indoors and outdoors.

"We're not going to be those guys that give them salt pills and don't give them water breaks," said Satterfield, referencing some old-school methods the Huskers are far removed from.

– Satterfield said he's proud of the offensive line. "They're one of the hardest working, consistent groups on the offense. It's very personal to those guys." Of course there's a mixed bag of results throughout camp – times the Huskers have run it well, he said, and times when it's been challenging.

"But that's going to happen with this defense with people running around everywhere. I think for the most part I'm really pleased with them and how Coach Raiola has those guys playing right now."

The coach said he thinks the Huskers have seven or eight O-linemen they feel comfortable going into the game. The number Matt Rhule has mentioned them wanting to at least hit in that regard earlier in camp was seven.

– Satterfield said Barret Liebentritt, who also spoke with the media Tuesday, is very consistent. "If you don't know they're there, they're doing a really nice job and that's who he is. If you say his personnel grouping, he's out there, he does a job. Lines up correctly. He may not be dominating his job every single snap but he's doing his job."

Janiran Bonner is still moving around everywhere.

"He can play receiver, running back, tight end, fullback. He does a little bit of everything. Using him in different personnel groupings." Satterfield said he has good ball skills and "above average speed for a guy that plays in that interior box alignment." The coach added, "He'll have a role in this offense, for sure."

Anthony Grant can be dynamic but has had some fumble issues of late.

"I think he can be one of the top running backs in the conference. I think he's very talented, very physical," Satterfield said. "His athletic traits are off the charts. I think he's very willing. I think he loves football and is super competitive but you have to take care of the football. If we're going trust you by giving you the ball you have to honor the responsibility with ball security."

Satterfield added that Grant is working hard at curing the fumble ills every day.

"He's a great kid. Nobody wants to lose the ball ... but you got to make sure when you're out there you're taking care of it. Because the No. 1 part of playing to win is not beating ourselves and that's the quickest way to do that." The coach added, "We look forward to him doing some really, really good things this year."

– When it came to the Saturday scrimmage that was, Satterfield said they went into it with the main focus cleaning up the operation and playing with great tempo. He doesn't mean no huddle with that, though they do mix that stuff in.

"But just getting in and out of the huddles, getting substitutions on and off the sideline. We've worked really hard at that last week prior and it showed. I think we did a really nice job. Had no issues in the scrimmages and I think it allowed us to play a little more free. Got started a little bit faster."

– Satterfield said the Huskers have done a nice job when they have actually played uptempo as an offense too. "We implement a lot of stuff like that during the summers, and play it in practices and they have a lot of fun with it, creating names for plays and signals. So they kind of own that part of the offense."

He thinks no huddle doesn't come hard for most of those guys to switch mindsets, since many did it here before at Nebraska and also at their high schools.

– "Top of the line" is how Satterfield describe the new facilities for players that they were already trying out Tuesday. From saunas to float tanks to cold and hot tubs to sleep pods, Satterfield said it has to be one of if not the best facilities in the country.

– What about the freshmen receivers?

"Now we're not installing anything anymore, so they're learning and continuing to learn the playbook and it allows them to go out and play fast and play with peace of mind. You can see that their confidence is growing. I think they're getting used to the physical aspect of college football." If they keep getting one percent better each day "you'll look up halfway through the season and have a pretty good product."

How Much Big Red Kool-Aid Should Husker Fans Drink This Fall?​

Bold predictions for ’23 have been missing this summer​

Dan McGlynn 21 hours ago
Rhule-Aid

Jeremy Shipe

Husker fans don't seem to be drinking the Big Red Kool-Aid as much as they did a year ago. Last year with a retooled coaching staff, some fans were predicting double-digit wins.

However, this year's predictions are more modest ranging from a low of four wins to a high of seven.

Why the change? Are Husker fans not buying what first-year head coach Matt Rhule is selling?

I don't think so. Most Husker fans have embraced Rhule and his staff and think he'll do well at NU. But consider this: Nebraska has been a graveyard for head football coaches. All five who succeeded Tom Osborne have gone down in flames. Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley and Frost are all gone.

Let's just say Husker fans are a bit more cautious this year.

In 2018, Husker fans (including me) gulped down as much Kool-Aid as we could. Scott Frost was going to be the second coming of Tom Osborne.

No doubt about it. You can go to the bank with Frost, or so we thought. There were so many high expectations of him. He was going to be the savior of the Husker football program.

Until he wasn't.

So how will Rhule fare in his first year at Nebraska? Let's look at some facts as Nebraska approaches its season opener Aug. 31 at Minnesota.
  1. Against the seven conference opponents NU faced last year and will face again this season, the Huskers are 1-6.
  2. The lone victory was a 24-17 win at Cockeye.
  3. NU will face five coaches who are in their first year as their team's head coach: Deion Sanders (Colorado) Jamey Chadwell (La. Tech), Dave Braun (Northwestern), Ryan Walters (Purdoodoo) and Luke #2ndChoice (Wisconsin).
  4. Five of this year's Husker opponents had losing records last year: Colorado, La. Tech, Northern Illinois, Northwestern and Michigan State.
  5. This football season will most likely be the last of the B1G's two-division format.
  6. Next year, the B1G will expand from 14 teams to at least 18 with the addition of USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington.
  7. Will that be the end of the B1G's expansion plans?
  8. I highly doubt it.
Let's look at the Husker schedule. There appear to be four "winnable" games for Nebraska this year - that is, games in which NU will likely be favored: Colorado, La. Tech, Northern Illinois and Northwestern.

Michigan appears to be the only "sure" loss. The remainder of the Husker season looks to be made up of toss-up games including Minnesota, Illinois, Purdoodoo, Michigan State, Maryland, Wisconsin and Cockeye.

If NU can take care of the "winnable" games (four wins) and come out on top in just three of the seven toss-up games, the Huskers could end up with a 7-5 record.

Seven wins would put the Huskers in a pretty good bowl game for the first time since 2016. With a bowl victory, Nebraska could end the season with an 8-5 record.

Now wouldn't that be sweet. Time to get out the Kool-Aid. It's been a very hot summer and I'm getting really thirsty.

I mean no disrespect to Satterfield but Anthony Grant can not be one of the top backs in the conference.

Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St and Wisconsin all have 2 backs better than Anthony Grant.

That's not to say he's awful, but come on he wouldn't be 2nd string at the top 4 schools in the conference.
He almost rushed for 1000 yards behind a shit offensive line and in the middle of the season we didn’t even have a QB. Give him a decent OL and he could go for 1200+. That’s pretty dang good. Now is that gonna happen here? Prolly not.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back