Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread (3 Viewers)

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
@Amk005 reported this with this comment:

Fact Check: missing context - while I agree with the overall sentiment, he fails to disclose that Sims was also injured a shit ton his Junior year, so chalking up "only 4 turnovers" to him getting better is misleading at best
Fact check: He played seven games his senior year and 10 his freshman year. Even if you add three extra games to his junior year, he was clearly trending down. Which is why I said we'll be fine if he turns the ball over at the same *rate* as last year. So I don't believe the "missing context" affects the point. It's not like he played just three games last year. "Misleading at best?" Not really misleading at all. Even Amk "agrees with the overall sentiment," so I'm not sure what's misleading. Others have pointed out his interceptions per attempt have plummeted year after year. So... kind of nailed it.

Does @Amk005 not have posting privileges that he has to go behind the scenes to have Garrett make his points? What a dipshit.

(I'd like to clarify that I edited this post to call him a dipshit.)

Last edited:

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
That opening music and the Rhule voiceover is just giving me all sorts of Friday Night Lights vibes and I'm absolutely here for it.
Ha! Yes! That music is very FNL-esque. What a great series.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
It's that mid-point between camp and a game that isn't always easy to navigate.

"The challenge has been to not (just) try to get through it, to try to get better," Husker head coach Matt Rhule said. "The days start to pile up on you obviously but when you look at the flip side there's not many days left of practice before 8/31. So we better remain a better humble team. If we want to be confident come game time, we have to earn it right now."

The team is out of the dorms now after that two-week stay. Fall classes start Aug. 21 and camp season soon enough will work its way to game prep mode. That Husker opener at Minnesota is now just 16 days off.

"I've never questioned this team's work ethic. They work. So far it's been pretty good."

More takeouts from Rhule's post-practice talk.

THE QB CONVERSATION​

Rhule said the Huskers can play and win with either Chubba Purdy or Heinrich Haarberg as they battle for the backup spot behind Jeff Sims.
"Chubba's made just massive strides and I think a lot of it has to do with a new coaching staff and just trying to prove a lot in the spring. And I think he's just settled down and played football. He's been excellent in the passing game and he can really run. And Heinrich's passing ability is really developing. Getting through progressions, understanding protections, seeing the field. I think both guys have had a really good camp."
He sees both as dual-threat guys, noting they are a 4.5 with their speed. "So they give us a lot of flexibility."

ABOUT THAT SCRIMMAGE...​

Rhule was asked about the offense's response since Saturday's scrimmage.
While the defense was said to have won the day, the coach wanted to be clear that his issues with the offense was mostly directly tied to the procedure stuff before plays.
"The football part was pretty good. They played good football. The pass protection was the best its ever been."
With the procedural issues, Rhule said the Huskers spent so much time getting reps with multiple stations that they probably hadn't spent enough time before that scrimmage coming off the sidelines and subbing off the sidelines.
"So that was sort of a little bit of a wakeup call. But it was all procedural stuff. In terms of the actual football, I thought it was good."

He told the team they are where they're supposed to be.
"I think the offense is playing good football. They just had a little more urgency in terms of running on and off the field. ... And I heard Jeff yesterday, kind of, 'Hey, we were a little bit sluggish.' It's really more about running on and off the field and getting into the huddle and getting out of it. So I think the football was fine."

ABOUT THOSE FRESHMEN WIDE RECEIVERS...​

Yes, the Huskers made need a couple of them – at some point. Rhule also made clear on Tuesday that doesn't necessarily have to be right away.
"I'm giving them all an opportunity to play. I don't know that we need any of the freshmen to play at wideout. We'd love to have them play if they're ready. But the older guys know how to play. That first game, the team we're playing, that's going to be a grown-man game. They play real football. I told our older guys, 'You guys want to win, you better see a bunch of veteran players out there on special teams.' You can't sub-contract out winning to young players. Now some young players will be ready. Some won't. What you're hoping is that we're just giving our guys' chances to get reps and play.
"If they're ready they're ready. If they're not, they're not. Because otherwise, the freshmen, they'll start to put a ton of pressure on themselves. They can't sleep at night because they're so worried about making a mistake. This is a game of mistakes. The older guys have figured that out."
Malachi Coleman was one name mentioned specifically in a question about those freshmen.
"If Malachi is ready, great. If not, he's going to be a great player here. He's an amazing young man with the things he's done and overcome in his life. If he's ready, great. If Jaylen Lloyd is ready, great. If Jeremiah (Charles) or Jaidyn (Doss) are ready, great. But the older guys are the ones who will lead us through. And I think one or two of those guys will step up, I really do, and be ready. Maybe it's Game 6. Maybe it's Game 7. The new rule now, you play four games plus the postseason. So hopefully these guys get to play five or so games and go from there,."

HOW'S D-LINE DEPTH COMING?​

Rhule acknowledged he just won't know a lot about some of the younger guys until they actually play in a game.
"I can see their talent. I can see what they're going to be," he said of that youth potential.
The Huskers were missing freshman Princewill Unmanmielen due to injury Tuesday but it's not long term.
"I know we have at least six guys we can play with. I'd like to be at eight or nine. I feel that some of those guys are kind of coming on. We have to continue to grind through this. This isn't just about the first game or second game. For me it's about the entire season and we're going to need a lot of guys."
Rhule reminds the players that there hasn't been a time for him as a head coach where a guy who started on the scout team didn't end up playing during the season.

HOW'S THE RED ZONE WORK GOING?​

Rhule said there has been a mix of good and bad.
"Our defense is pretty good in the red zone with what they allow you to do, with the way that they play."
The coach is always looking for big receivers in that area of the field. He pointed out guys like Malachi Coleman and Marcus Washington ("I would expect him any day now," to be back) as guys that can help down there. He mentioned Thomas Fidone too.
"We want to score touchdowns not field goals. That's our whole mindset. I like the way we're proceeding. The quarterbacks get a lot of work down there. They're doing a good job managing that situation down there so it's completely different for a quarterback."

FIDONE SHOWING THE RIGHT SIGNS​

Rhule said he doesn't notice any different in Thomas Fidone as a guy coming back from two serious knee injuries.
"We timed him in the summer at 255, he was low 4.5s. I mean, he's a freak athlete. He's probably as hard on himself as I am on myself. So we have a lot common in that group."
Rhule likes that he sees Fidone now having is the mentality of 'what's next' after a play he doesn't like. "He's made some plays at the end of practices in the 2-minute down in the red zone. He's made some plays down there to win games for us or team scrimmages so I'm really happy with where he's coming."

YOUNG NATION CATCHES NOTICE​

Rhule doesn't know what role true freshman Ethan Nation will be yet, but he apparently had a really good Saturday scrimmage, with Jeff Sims highlighting him the other day.
"He's very dynamic. He's an explosive player ... He catches people's attention," Rhule said of Nation. "He plays really hard on defense. He's aggressive. He kind of has a feel for getting the ball. He looks dynamic as a returner though we haven't done a lot of live returns yet with him."
With young returners it's always about ball security, Rhule said, so that is something to be studied more.
But Rhule likes his explosiveness and his mindset to play. "He has that confidence and swagger that is humble enough to also coach too."

SCOTT SHOWING GOOD INSTINCTS​

Rhule said center Ben Scott "sees a lot" pre-snap as he works against Tony White's creative defense.
"Ben's very smart. Instinctive as well. Sees so much from our defense. They're never in the same front twice. We have big powerful interior D-linemen that our on his nose quite a bit. So both blocking and from a football intelligence standpoint, I think he does an excellent job."

CONFIDENCE IN CORCORAN​

Rhule has always known Turner Corcoran as Nebraska's left tackle.
He believes he's playing really good football right now, with true freshman Gunnar Gottula working with the second unit. And Teddy Prochazka?
"I think Teddy told me today he's hoping that he'll be back here soon. He's taking the next phase on in his rehab. Teddy to me, I don't want to bring him back a day too early. I'd rather a day too late then a day too early but I'm sure he'll be ready soon. But Turner is playing really good football. We've got a lot of confidence in Turner."

ANTHONY GRANT RISING​

Rhule said he's proud of Grant.
"We all know he can run the football at a high level. There's also a lot more to playing running back than that. And I see him developing in those areas. He's been very dependable in being where he's supposed to be, taking care of his body, handling all his business."
Rhule noted Grant did an internship this summer and the place Grant was at said he was one of the best they've had working with the kids in a long time.
"So he's a kind-hearted, wonderful young man. And you know, he's run with the 2s a lot and he's just battled and made plays. Now he's running with the 1s a lot. Our running back situation, I couldn't be happier with ... I think we could get down to the fifth string and still play winning football."

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I think 12
ron burgundy anchorman GIF

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
@Amk005 would like me to clarify that he called him a “dipshit”. I edited it
I also have had @Amk005 report to me today that he believes @nja13 is a dipshit. So NUG CONFIRMED!

Also, on top of that, he stated that NJA13 has little dick syndrome.

This leaves one option for NJA13, as the great Michael Scott once said "Show us your penis!"

lewd michael scott GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds