Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

Sounds pretty smug to me. You out there at Wilderness on Daddy’s dime?

Or down there at Arbor - the 2 star course with the 5 star ego lol
wut-what.gif

Then you find out Thompson has never thrown a pass to him, he wasn’t supposed to be in the game, and Palmer was supposed to be the target

Lol 2022 was such a ridiculous season
I haven't heard this story before. Is all this really true?

A few quick hits on a linebacker-heavy day following Nebraska’s Friday morning practice:

— Nebraska will run through one of its heavy scrimmages on Saturday. Nebraska ran a “simulated” scrimmage last weekend, but this will be the first true scrimmage day for the Huskers in fall camp. As perhaps a bit of a carrot for the Husker players, the team will also move out of the dorms on Saturday after spending two weeks together in Selleck.

— Nebraska linebacker coach Rob Dvoracek said Nick Henrich was busy studying in the linebacker room in the spring when he was recovering from a knee injury, and that the preparation has shown on the practice field this fall. Dvoracek said Heinrich has been a valuable resource for the young linebackers as an example, but also in answering scheme questions.

— Linebacker Jimari Butler said he feels better this fall physically than at any point in his time at Nebraska.

— Butler said that he, MJ Sherman and Chief Borders have been going to defensive line coach Terrance Knighton for advice on pass rushing. Butler said he feels more explosive as a pass rusher this season and that the defense plays into his strengths.

“I’m everywhere, I’m doing everything,” Butler said. “(The defense) gives me a way to get to the ball in ways that I never could imagine.”

— While Butler clearly fits the physical profile of a JACK linebacker, he said Matt Rhule and the coaching staff didn’t mention specific positions to him when re-recruiting him out of the transfer portal.

— Junior linebacker John Bullock said his move from defensive back to linebacker in the offseason has been nearly seamless. He gained about 15 pounds to make the move and has been working out at both the WILL and MIKE spots.

— Bullock has yet to play a defensive snap at Nebraska, but has put himself in position to do so this season. So far, the Omaha Pickle Smoochers Prep graduate is also working on every special teams unit that Nebraska has so far installed.

— Bullock’s brother Alex, a sophomore wide receiver, has also put himself in the conversation for playing time this season. The older Bullock said he has always believed in his little brother.

“He’s always had the ability, it just takes somebody to see that,” John Bullock said. “I’ve always believed in him. He’s a great player, a great leader and he’s getting better every day, every year.”

OGC.b687af5b81fd4e988dedeaa5eb50d23b

Some single-digit jersey numbers are starting to get handed out, representing a new Husker tradition ushered in along with the Rhule era.

Husker defensive coordinator Tony White has put some thought into it and had conversations with those in the know about an older tradition too – the Blackshirts tradition. That doesn't mean he was ready to unveil it after Friday's practice as Nebraska works through the dog days of camp, with the opener at Minnesota now 20 days away.

"Yeah, I got an idea. Yeah," White said good-naturedly about Blackshirt plans. "I've talked to some great voices. I've talked to Coach McBride, I've talked to (Adam) Carriker. I've talked to Bullocks. You name it. If they say they wore the Blackshirt, the first question I ask is, 'Hey, come on over here, step into my office real fast. Tell me. Educate me on how this was.' And I have an idea but I'm going to make sure I talk to Coach Rhule and we'll do it as we do it."

Every staff has had their own way of handling the Blackshirts and some have even changed their approach from year to year.

However this staff chooses to do it, Husker sophomore linebacker Chief Borders is optimistic the Huskers are building the mentality to represent that history.

"What's your 'why?' I want to see the best version of myself every day, so that's why we make every rep count and doing what we gotta do to come out with the dub..." Borders said.

"I feel like we're definitely getting to the ball, man. We're flying around. We're making plays happen. We're really bringing back the Blackshirts mentality. That's the next thing that we look forward to. (We’re) picking each other up as we keep grinding through his journey."

No question fall camp can get "brutal" sometimes, he added. "So having one another's back that's important right now."

How does Nebraska's defensive coordinator feel about where his crew is at right now with a football game less than three weeks away?

"I believe that we are still growing," White said. "We're going to take this last time remaining and make sure that we know what we're doing. It goes back to being able to self-scout and then say what you're doing wrong and seeing if it's a big piece that we're going to do, or is it something that it's too expensive, we're going to throw it out."

There's a lot of film to handle that self-scouting piece.

"Now we're going back through and seeing, what can we do really fast and really physical?" White said. "What can we add and what can we take out so that the guys can just go out there and play right now?”

OGC.b687af5b81fd4e988dedeaa5eb50d23b

Some single-digit jersey numbers are starting to get handed out, representing a new Husker tradition ushered in along with the Rhule era.

Husker defensive coordinator Tony White has put some thought into it and had conversations with those in the know about an older tradition too – the Blackshirts tradition. That doesn't mean he was ready to unveil it after Friday's practice as Nebraska works through the dog days of camp, with the opener at Minnesota now 20 days away.

"Yeah, I got an idea. Yeah," White said good-naturedly about Blackshirt plans. "I've talked to some great voices. I've talked to Coach McBride, I've talked to (Adam) Carriker. I've talked to Bullocks. You name it. If they say they wore the Blackshirt, the first question I ask is, 'Hey, come on over here, step into my office real fast. Tell me. Educate me on how this was.' And I have an idea but I'm going to make sure I talk to Coach Rhule and we'll do it as we do it."

Every staff has had their own way of handling the Blackshirts and some have even changed their approach from year to year.

However this staff chooses to do it, Husker sophomore linebacker Chief Borders is optimistic the Huskers are building the mentality to represent that history.

"What's your 'why?' I want to see the best version of myself every day, so that's why we make every rep count and doing what we gotta do to come out with the dub..." Borders said.

"I feel like we're definitely getting to the ball, man. We're flying around. We're making plays happen. We're really bringing back the Blackshirts mentality. That's the next thing that we look forward to. (We’re) picking each other up as we keep grinding through his journey."

No question fall camp can get "brutal" sometimes, he added. "So having one another's back that's important right now."

How does Nebraska's defensive coordinator feel about where his crew is at right now with a football game less than three weeks away?

"I believe that we are still growing," White said. "We're going to take this last time remaining and make sure that we know what we're doing. It goes back to being able to self-scout and then say what you're doing wrong and seeing if it's a big piece that we're going to do, or is it something that it's too expensive, we're going to throw it out."

There's a lot of film to handle that self-scouting piece.

"Now we're going back through and seeing, what can we do really fast and really physical?" White said. "What can we add and what can we take out so that the guys can just go out there and play right now?”

Finally some talk about blackshirts getting handed out. Can't wait, always the highlight of my summer

God forbid that HCMR ever moves on, does anyone else feel like Tony White may be the HC in waiting?
In his short stint here White has been impressive in front of the cameras. If that carries over to the field with positive results I can see him being a Head Coach in the next 3-4 years. Seems to have that air about him. If Turd thinks he's Da Man then I'm good with it.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back