Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread

Jeff Sims at 7? It's no coincidence our last Heisman Trophy winner was a QB that wore 7. Just saying.
season 2 GIF

Nebraska football released its first batch of single-digit jersey number recipients on Wednesday evening, with four players getting their choice of numbers.

Senior wide receiver Billy Kemp IV picked the No. 1, safety Isaac Gifford is wearing No. 2, Luke Reimer is wearing No. 4 and quarterback Jeff Sims is wearing No. 7.

The recipients of the single-digit numbers were voted on by their teammates this week. In the spring, head coach Matt Rhule, who initially saw the tradition start at Temple, said recipients will represent everything coaches and teammates look for in a Husker player.

"Really the guys who best exemplify what it means to be a Cornhusker. To be accountable, to be dependable, to be tough, hard-working, competitive every single day. So as we get into training camp, we'll vote on it,” Rhule said in the spring.

The tradition started at Temple where Rhule was an assistant coach. Rhule was the offensive coordinator and Al Golden was the head coach when this began back at Temple. This was back when players seemed to really start being more upfront about wanting the single-digit jerseys. Even linemen, who for decades had been stuck to those bigger numbers for bigger frames, were wanting them and getting them.

Rhule said in the spring he hoped the new tradition would serve as motivation for players in the program.

"I think the cool thing now is, recruits say it to me, guys say it to me, 'Can I wear No. 3? Absolutely. Just have to earn it," Rhule said. "There's no delineation. The first guy that we vote in, he picks whatever he wants, the second guy we vote in, he picks whatever he wants. And over time, at least at Temple, hey, the No. 6s were all this kind of position, the No. 3s were all DBs, you know. I've had freshmen earn it. I've had seniors earn it.

“I've had times where we didn't get to all nine, unfortunately, early on," Rhule said with a laugh. "We'll have nine or 10 guys here. There's plenty of guys here who deserve those numbers."

Rhule said this week that they will likely have multiple rounds of voting throughout fall camp to determine who will wear the new numbers.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back