Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Fall Camp Thread (3 Viewers)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
One week in, Matt Rhule is pleased with the direction the Huskers are taken. And the amount of reps taken.

There's a new rule where you can have only two scrimmages in the preseason where you can tackle more than 50 percent of the time. So on Saturday morning, the Huskers ended practice with a simulated scrimmage. Some tackling, but not enough to take a scrimmage off the board.

"Really, really pleased. I think we're getting a lot of reps and the guys are working really hard. I'm really pleased with our toughness. Really pleased with our mindset."

Here's more from Rhule.

SLIGHT SETBACK FOR PROCHAZKA​

Offensive lineman Teddy Prochazka got banged up again and is out for a little while, Rhule said.
"Nothing long term but he's banged up, unfortunately. We think he'll be ready for the first game but we're working Turner (Corcoran), we're working Gunnar (Gottula), we're working all those guys on the O-line (at left tackle). And then we're going to get Teddy back as soon as possible."
Rhule added Corcoran is the guy he's known at left tackle so far since Prochazka was still rehabbing in the spring, but obviously he's a guy they want back soon to be in the conversatoin.

RHULE BELIEVES IN HIS SAFETIES​

Myles Farmer has moved on and Marques Buford is rehabbing.
Rhule likes what the Huskers have at safety, though. "I think the safeties are one of our strengths," he said. "Isaac Gifford, I mean he is an alpha back there right now. He had an amazing summer. The jump that I've seen Giff make. His mentality."
People shouldn't sleep on his athleticism.
"He's a 35-inch vertical, 10.5 broad, 4.5 guy. He's a multi-year probably NFL player in terms of talent and his mindset has come a long way in terms of taking control back there."

Rhule added that DeShon Singleton is playing well back there too and Omar Brown.
When considering the comments, also note Rhule considers that rover spot a safety – a third safety basically. He's also pleased with the young guys.
Asked specifically about transfer Corey Collier, Rhule said he's got a lot of football in him and coaches just "got to get it out of him." He got a little banged up Saturday, but came back out there. Rhule said he isn't in a position five or six practices in, he added, to get too deep into who's where in the pecking order. He said a guy like Koby Bretz worked hard this summer. "We trust them all to go play." Ashton Hausmann is a good tester and does well with opportunities. Phalen Sanford is a walk-on who gets some reps with the top groups.

TURANAROUND TOMMI​

"Tommi (Hill) is probably the turnaround guy from when I got here until now. He's become one of the leaders on the defense. Between (Quinton) Newsome, him and (Malcolm) Hartzog, we have some guys that can play multiple positions as well. I like our strength in the secondary. I think we're going to be really good."

NO DEPTH CHART TALK YET​

Rhule said he told all the coaches now is not the time to G.M. but to coach. "Coach them like your own sons." Point being, don't worry about the depth chart yet. Coach everybody.
Rhule said the Huskers are getting between 150 and 190 reps every practice.No one is standing around, everyone's moving. "So guys are getting better quickly."
He also doesn't want to talk too specifically about D-line guys yet, because the minute you say that, there's an injury or something. "I thought Brodie (Tagaloa) was poised to have a breakout year and then he got banged up."
Ty Robinson and Blaise Gunnerson and Nash Hutmacher are obvious guys who will matter. "But some guys are really coming on. Like Ru'Quan Buckley. It's just a testament to, 'Don't see people for what they are. See people for what they could be.' And trust your strength staff."

Rhule credited Corey Campbell in the strength room and nutrition head Kristin Coggin in helping Nebraska change its look and movement.
"Our lateral movement skills are significantly improved from where they were." Rhule was concerned about that at the end of spring. Buckley is one guy who made a huge jump there.
"I think we'll end up having six, seven, eight guys that can play for us on the D-line. And some other young players like the Lenhardts and the Princewills, they're ready to play. Some other guys that showed up like the Van Poppels, the Vincent Carrolls, we're just going to get those guys ready so if it's early in the season, great, if it's late in the season, right."

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
One week in, Matt Rhule is pleased with the direction the Huskers are taken. And the amount of reps taken.

There's a new rule where you can have only two scrimmages in the preseason where you can tackle more than 50 percent of the time. So on Saturday morning, the Huskers ended practice with a simulated scrimmage. Some tackling, but not enough to take a scrimmage off the board.

"Really, really pleased. I think we're getting a lot of reps and the guys are working really hard. I'm really pleased with our toughness. Really pleased with our mindset."

Here's more from Rhule.

SLIGHT SETBACK FOR PROCHAZKA​

Offensive lineman Teddy Prochazka got banged up again and is out for a little while, Rhule said.
"Nothing long term but he's banged up, unfortunately. We think he'll be ready for the first game but we're working Turner (Corcoran), we're working Gunnar (Gottula), we're working all those guys on the O-line (at left tackle). And then we're going to get Teddy back as soon as possible."
Rhule added Corcoran is the guy he's known at left tackle so far since Prochazka was still rehabbing in the spring, but obviously he's a guy they want back soon to be in the conversatoin.

RHULE BELIEVES IN HIS SAFETIES​

Myles Farmer has moved on and Marques Buford is rehabbing.
Rhule likes what the Huskers have at safety, though. "I think the safeties are one of our strengths," he said. "Isaac Gifford, I mean he is an alpha back there right now. He had an amazing summer. The jump that I've seen Giff make. His mentality."
People shouldn't sleep on his athleticism.
"He's a 35-inch vertical, 10.5 broad, 4.5 guy. He's a multi-year probably NFL player in terms of talent and his mindset has come a long way in terms of taking control back there."

Rhule added that DeShon Singleton is playing well back there too and Omar Brown.
When considering the comments, also note Rhule considers that rover spot a safety – a third safety basically. He's also pleased with the young guys.
Asked specifically about transfer Corey Collier, Rhule said he's got a lot of football in him and coaches just "got to get it out of him." He got a little banged up Saturday, but came back out there. Rhule said he isn't in a position five or six practices in, he added, to get too deep into who's where in the pecking order. He said a guy like Koby Bretz worked hard this summer. "We trust them all to go play." Ashton Hausmann is a good tester and does well with opportunities. Phalen Sanford is a walk-on who gets some reps with the top groups.

TURANAROUND TOMMI​

"Tommi (Hill) is probably the turnaround guy from when I got here until now. He's become one of the leaders on the defense. Between (Quinton) Newsome, him and (Malcolm) Hugehog, we have some guys that can play multiple positions as well. I like our strength in the secondary. I think we're going to be really good."

NO DEPTH CHART TALK YET​

Rhule said he told all the coaches now is not the time to G.M. but to coach. "Coach them like your own sons." Point being, don't worry about the depth chart yet. Coach everybody.
Rhule said the Huskers are getting between 150 and 190 reps every practice.No one is standing around, everyone's moving. "So guys are getting better quickly."
He also doesn't want to talk too specifically about D-line guys yet, because the minute you say that, there's an injury or something. "I thought Brodie (Tagaloa) was poised to have a breakout year and then he got banged up."
Ty Robinson and Blaise Gunnerson and Nash Hutmacher are obvious guys who will matter. "But some guys are really coming on. Like Ru'Quan Buckley. It's just a testament to, 'Don't see people for what they are. See people for what they could be.' And trust your strength staff."

Rhule credited Corey Campbell in the strength room and nutrition head Kristin Coggin in helping Nebraska change its look and movement.
"Our lateral movement skills are significantly improved from where they were." Rhule was concerned about that at the end of spring. Buckley is one guy who made a huge jump there.
"I think we'll end up having six, seven, eight guys that can play for us on the D-line. And some other young players like the Lenhardts and the Princewills, they're ready to play. Some other guys that showed up like the Van Poppels, the Vincent Carrolls, we're just going to get those guys ready so if it's early in the season, great, if it's late in the season, right."

I cannot wait to see Hugehog in action

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds