Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

1992 Nebraska v. Colorado (2 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I saw a clip of this game on tiktok a few weeks back and I ended up watching it on YouTube for the first time. I've watched it a few times since then. Obviously the 1990s teams are fun to watch because they actually won most of the games they played in, but I can't help but notice when I watch this game how much an attitude that team played with. They were mean as hell and they knew they were going to beat the shit out of their opponents and win. And they played like they were pissed off and ready to fight. They just had that mentality.

With today's teams, obviously I miss the winning, but god it would be nice if of our teams started playing with that same attitude. Granted, those 90s teams were probably pumped full of steroids and they were the culmination of two decades of Tom Osborne's system. But if we could just win some games this year and get back a little bit of that nastiness it would be refreshing.

Walter Sobchak

Master of smoking meats and trees
Elite Member
This was actually my 1st game in person as kid. 10 yr old me and my 13 yr old cousin won tickets by selling a fuck ton of candy for Runza and Elks midget football here in Lincoln. We saw the best ass beating over a ranked team we'd ever seen by the huskers up to that point. Lost my voice for 3 days, couldn't hear very well the next day, and it absolutely hardened my passion for the Huskers for life. I'll never forget the entire city wanted buffalo blood that weekend, and we got it.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
We had the attitude because we could back it up back then. The current Huskers know they are an embarrassment. Honestly if everyone could forget those years entirely I think it would help the psyche of the players. They are living in the shadow of the former giant.

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
The good old days.
Well... It was until 2 weeks later when they inexplicably lost to Cockeye State...probably one of the worst losses of TO's career. They also spanked a pretty decent KU team between those two games. I think Devaney came out after the KU game and said they were playing about as well as any NU team ever and then ISU happened.

However, it was definitely a sign of things to come.

Edit...Lol.... I guess somebody has programmed "1owa" to automatically change to Cockeyes....

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
Well... It was until 2 weeks later when they inexplicably lost to Cockeyes State...probably one of the worst losses of TO's career. They also spanked a pretty decent KU team between those two games. I think Devaney came out after the KU game and said they were playing about as well as any NU team ever and then ISU happened.

My good buddy was crying after that ISU game.
I didn’t say a word about then. Still haven’t.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
My Eyes Pain GIF

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Well... It was until 2 weeks later when they inexplicably lost to Cockeyes State...probably one of the worst losses of TO's career. They also spanked a pretty decent KU team between those two games. I think Devaney came out after the KU game and said they were playing about as well as any NU team ever and then ISU happened.

Edit...Lol.... I guess somebody has programmed "1owa" to automatically change to Cockeyes....

The Cockeye State loss was a lot on Tommie. Not all of it, but a lot of it. We just had a terrible game and a frosh QB who didn't play well. Also missing a starting TE that game as I remember.

As far as the Colorado game - we knew we were gonna whip that ass that night. It was cold, rainy and CO wanted nothing to do with our hard-nosed, smash-mouth football that night. It was a great night to play a football game against those asses, lol. A great memory. But yes, ruined two weeks later at Cockeye State.

We should bring back the steroids.

I think you are mostly joking, but it was not this rampnat steroid-filled bunch of dudes like you are thinking. Some lineman on both sides of the ball used roids some - I know that for a fact, but not all or everyone like the legend has grown over the years. It seems to have become a living legend of a story people have in their minds, which this story seems to grow bigger as the years (and losses) gone on. Just sayin. And I have good knowledge about happenings back then.

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
The Cockeyes State loss was a lot on Tommie. Not all of it, but a lot of it. We just had a terrible game and a frosh QB who didn't play well. Also missing a starting TE that game as I remember.

As far as the Colorado game - we knew we were gonna whip that ass that night. It was cold, rainy and CO wanted nothing to do with our hard-nosed, smash-mouth football that night. It was a great night to play a football game against those asses, lol. A great memory. But yes, ruined two weeks later at Cockeyes State.

I think you are mostly joking, but it was not this rampnat steroid-filled bunch of dudes like you are thinking. Some lineman on both sides of the ball used roids some - I know that for a fact, but not all or everyone like the legend has grown over the years. It seems to have become a living legend of a story people have in their minds, which this story seems to grow bigger as the years (and losses) gone on. Just sayin. And I have good knowledge about happenings back then.
Just a mind-blowing amount of steroids… bring ‘em back, please bring those drugs back for our boys!!

1659271373372.gif

doublewing

Running Back
That was the season where CU thought it was going to be cutting edge and let Detmer throw it around like they were BYU. The previous years it was Darian Hagan and an option offense that was much more difficult to defend. They got back to reality in 1993 with Kordell Stewart as QB and eventually another top 3 finish in 94.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
That was the season where CU thought it was going to be cutting edge and let Detmer throw it around like they were BYU. The previous years it was Darian Hagan and an option offense that was much more difficult to defend. They got back to reality in 1993 with Kordell Stewart as QB and eventually another top 3 finish in 94.

I think it was Doug Coleman who said that if CU hadn’t risen to the level they did (heisman, national title, top 5 finishes, etc) than Nebraska’s 92-99 run wouldnt have been so dominant because without CU we wouldn’t have pushed so hard to get to the next level of GOAT legacy. Like maybe still win 1 or 2 titles but not 60-3.

PS: im sure other people on those teams agree or have said similar things, I just heard it first from Doug Coleman cuz he and my Dad were sort of friends for some reason. (Met him at a clinic and they hit it off, wild)

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG

Agreed, plus every major college team had probably the same % of players on what shitty roids were available back then.

Like let’s say 15-20% of the team was on Steroids, it was roughly the same % on KSU, CU, OU, etc

Not to mention the steroids back then were mostly just for growing huge popcorn muscles and they also weakened ligaments and tendons making guys more susceptible to injury. (Plus all the long-term effects of damaging the heart & liver)

HGH, modern recovery type steroids and modern anti inflammatory injections are way more effective and beneficial for “cheating” or whatever you want to call it than the steroids were back in the day.

PS: random but sort of on topic, I’m always amazed more former players didn’t get addicted to opioids. (At all levels of college and pro football) Kind of amazing when you think about it.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Agreed, plus every major college team had probably the same % of players on what shitty roids were available back then.

Like let’s say 15-20% of the team was on Steroids, it was roughly the same % on KSU, CU, OU, etc

Not to mention the steroids back then were mostly just for growing huge popcorn muscles and they also weakened ligaments and tendons making guys more susceptible to injury. (Plus all the long-term effects of damaging the heart & liver)

HGH, modern recovery type steroids and modern anti inflammatory injections are way more effective and beneficial for “cheating” or whatever you want to call it than the steroids were back in the day.

PS: random but sort of on topic, I’m always amazed more former players didn’t get addicted to opioids. (At all levels of college and pro football) Kind of amazing when you think about it.

I doubt it was even 15 to 20%. I never once heard it mentioned or talked about by a single player.

They drug tested us fairlyoften, and at random. Both the team and NCAA. I personally know a few guys who got caught, but it was an internal, not NCAA, test. I know for a fact who they were, and there were not many, and all were either DLine or Oline. T.O. was uber scared of anyone getting caught, talked to the team many times about it. Hell, he even "warned" about taking Yohimbe - at the time the thought was it was a test increasing herb/supplement that could possibly make you fail a test (it wouldn't have made you fail a test). But even the few "test increasing herbs/supps" wouldn't have raised levels much, if at all, to cause a failed test. There were no pro-hormones back then, so no worries about those either.

I don't think many, if any, speed position players were using. If there were, it was very few of them. And as you said, the kinds of PED's available back then pales in comparison to what has been available the last 20 years or so. The guys who got caught were pretty obvious, one guy came in as a freshman at 6'-3" and about 210, 215. By the end of winter conditioning he was at least 295. Not gonna say names.

I don't think opioids were even a thing back then. But I agree that since 2000ish or so when they became prevalent, players getting addicted to them could have been a problem.

That doesn't mean some of the bigger guys (again mostly O and D line, maybe a linebacker or 2 possibly) didn't use some roids - because a few of them did, and I am sure some of them would have been recognizable names. But IMHO it wasn't very prevalent like many purport.

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
I doubt it was even 15 to 20%. I never once heard it mentioned or talked about by a single player.

They drug tested us fairlyoften, and at random. Both the team and NCAA. I personally know a few guys who got caught, but it was an internal, not NCAA, test. I know for a fact who they were, and there were not many, and all were either DLine or Oline. T.O. was uber scared of anyone getting caught, talked to the team many times about it. Hell, he even "warned" about taking Yohimbe - at the time the thought was it was a test increasing herb/supplement that could possibly make you fail a test (it wouldn't have made you fail a test). But even the few "test increasing herbs/supps" wouldn't have raised levels much, if at all, to cause a failed test. There were no pro-hormones back then, so no worries about those either.

I don't think many, if any, speed position players were using. If there were, it was very few of them. And as you said, the kinds of PED's available back then pales in comparison to what has been available the last 20 years or so. The guys who got caught were pretty obvious, one guy came in as a freshman at 6'-3" and about 210, 215. By the end of winter conditioning he was at least 295. Not gonna say names.

I don't think opioids were even a thing back then. But I agree that since 2000ish or so when they became prevalent, players getting addicted to them could have been a problem.

That doesn't mean some of the bigger guys (again mostly O and D line, maybe a linebacker or 2 possibly) didn't use some roids - because a few of them did, and I am sure some of them would have been recognizable names. But IMHO it wasn't very prevalent like many purport.
These guys were simply cornfed big hog mollies, no juice, IYAM. Look identical to our teams nowadays. A bit more heart back in the day.. 😞

1659278083353.jpeg
1659278097251.jpeg
1659278161660.jpeg
1659278300294.jpeg

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds