Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Yet another: HOT SEAT RANKING (1 Viewer)

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
With our easy schedule I'm wanting at least 8 wins this season. Easiest schedule we have had since we joined the B1G. Let's see if The Whip is able to do his thing and it results in us putting up serious numbers on offense. Hope we finally have an offensive identity. I can handle 8 wins and a well coached team.

Am I the only one that isn't super hard about Whipple? Something tells me by the time this staff and players gel....it'll be too late. I just think it's reality, not naysaying.

If they can beat Northwestern, I could see that being catalyst to boosting their confidence. Like last year, the 1st game is HUUUUGE.

Offensive identity - we need it.

doublewing

Running Back
Am I the only one that isn't super hard about Whipple? Something tells me by the time this staff and players gel....it'll be too late. I just think it's reality, not naysaying.

If they can beat Northwestern, I could see that being catalyst to boosting their confidence. Like last year, the 1st game is HUUUUGE.

I think he's a good coach but anyone that thinks we can flip the offense under a new coordinator, first year QB, and a shitty OL in one year is kidding themselves. It will be choppy next season. Maybe they get things down enough to win 6 games against a bad schedule but I think that's their ceiling.

I think NW will be close and a possible loss for that reason.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think he's a good coach but anyone that thinks we can flip the offense under a new coordinator, first year QB, and a shitty OL in one year is kidding themselves. It will be choppy next season. Maybe they get things down enough to win 6 games against a bad schedule but I think that's their ceiling.

I think NW will be close and a possible loss for that reason.

You did a more graceful job of providing the reasons why. I think anyone expecting smooth sailing and 8 wins will be disappointed. Choppy is a good word.

1st game is HUGE. I could see them starting to come around by mid-October, but then the schedule gets tougher. Goddamn I hope I'm wrong.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
We haven’t been able to beat the nerd schools and bottom feeders with any consistency to give me an ounce of confidence with a shit schedule.

I fully expect the OL to suck, the offense to have no identity because Frost really isn’t turning things over fully to Whip. The run game won’t mesh with the pass game so it’ll be a hodge podge of shit. Thompson will underwhelm. Frost will panic and play 3 different QBs and we suck enough and still turn the ball over enough to sully average STs and an average defense. Frost is still woefully out coached in games outside of the first drive or so, and he still falls into the trap of “throwing out half the game plan” because a defense showed something they haven’t done a lot on film.

What I hope happens.
The OL is serviceable enough and Grant bursts into the scene as the every down back. One QB is settled on and plays well enough and doesn’t piss ball games away. STs are average and don’t hand games away. The defense is above average and gets some help from the offense so they’re not on the field the whole Fucking game. We actually have a pass rusher that completely transforms the defense when the offense can score enough to force the opposing offense to take more chances and get out of their bread and butter.

The first (likely scenario) tops out at 4 wins.

The second (unlikely scenario IMO) gets us to 8-9.

Obviously hoping for the unlikely. Because if something like that occurs. It sure seems like we’ve got some difference making dudes coming. Especially at pass rusher.

But I’m Debbie downer as fuck this year and expecting to consume mass quantities of alcohol and mutter obscenities at the TV all game.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG

Frost definitely waited a year too long to make significant changes. And no, not impressed with Whipple either. We went from one weird OC to another.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Frost definitely waited a year too long to make significant changes. And no, not impressed with Whipple either. We went from one weird OC to another.
what about whipple makes you think he’s “weird”

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
what about whipple makes you think he’s “weird”
Showing up to every press conference with no shoes on, for starters...

FNbK4FTXsAQKGCL

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
One of the great things about bringing back a guy who won one P5 game in his 4th year as coach is that you set the bar so low that any result better than the entire team entering the portal en masse in October can be defined as progress. Next level thinking all around.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
If Frost wins 6 he likely loses most if not all of his games down the stretch. How does anyone call that progress with a straight face?
Didn’t seem to matter last year. There’s a ton of evidence that suggests that their definition of progress is different from most.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Frost definitely waited a year too long to make significant changes.
I think it’s important to remember the higher ups made him make those changes. My understanding is he didn’t want to.

Think of the thought process there. It’s like the successful guy that owns a profitable business, decides to step back from the day to day and has his son run it, son screws it up, and dad’s got the blinders on and can’t see that his son is f’in everything up and wants to restructure everything else besides the root cause.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
I think it’s important to remember the higher ups made him make those changes. My understanding is he didn’t want to.

Think of the thought process there. It’s like the successful guy that owns a profitable business, decides to step back from the day to day and has his son run it, son screws it up, and dad’s got the blinders on and can’t see that his son is f’in everything up and wants to restructure everything else besides the root cause.
My first inclination that Frost wasn't cut out for the job was the 3-5 season in 2020 with the 2 inexplicable losses to Illinois and Minnesota, then deciding to "run it back" in 2021 with the exact same coaches and same QB.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Didn’t seem to matter last year. There’s a ton of evidence that suggests that their definition of progress is different from most.
I know I’m trying to talk myself into the powers that be will use common sense, but it’s probably wishful thinking. I remember going into last year every pundit saying the only way Frost would get fired was with a catastrophic record like 3 wins and when it happened they justified it due to close games. If we are really that close why did he bring in a shitload of transfers and overhaul his whole offensive staff? I guess the real answer is we aren’t that close.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev đź‘»
Elite Member
I know I’m trying to talk myself into the powers that be will use common sense, but it’s probably wishful thinking. I remember going into last year every pundit saying the only way Frost would get fired was with a catastrophic record like 3 wins and when it happened they justified it due to close games. If we are really that close why did he bring in a shitload of transfers and overhaul his whole offensive staff? I guess the real answer is we aren’t that close.
And the "close" argument looks even dumber when you realize that we either never lead or only led for an insignificant amount of time in the majority of the "close" losses. Got news for the taters: That ain't close!

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds