Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Will there be an EPP this week?

@alt f4 is in a roll I bitch about every single game.
dope zebra GIF

That's pretty cool! Like a practice ref? Is that a thing? Like designated practice refs? Am I wrong or do those most of those refs look like students that volunteer time if they know what they're doing?

Yes practice officials. Been doing it since Bo's last year. They hire non-BIG officials for 1-2 practices per week during the season. A mix of guys from either Big 12, Mac, MO Valley, NAIA, Northern Sun, and MIAA. Fall camp and spring scrimmages they'll use that same pool plus BIG officials. The students you see are the ball boys and girls who set and relay the balls for drills and team in practice.

Yes practice officials. Been doing it since Bo's last year. They hire non-BIG officials for 1-2 practices per week during the season. A mix of guys from either Big 12, Mac, MO Valley, NAIA, Northern Sun, and MIAA. Fall camp and spring scrimmages they'll use that same pool plus BIG officials. The students you see are the ball boys and girls who set and relay the balls for drills and team in practice.
That's awesome! Anything you can relay as far as how the penalties and things look in practice that kill us in games and what's done about it?

Did Bo every throw a shit fit about you for throwing a flag in practice?

PeliniMad.gif

That's awesome! Anything you can relay as far as how the penalties and things look in practice that kill us in games and what's done about it?

They have cut down on penalties significantly in practice. Year 1 of SF they were having 12-15+ per practice. This year we were down to a handful, but ultimately that is hard to judge unless you go good on good. Year 1 there was a lot of good vs scout penalties and that's gone away - which is a good sign.

You can typically group penalties into these groups
Procedural - false starts, delay of game, off side, illegal formation, illegal shifts/motions - this group is 100% mental and easiest to eliminate.
"Accidental" - face masks, horsecollar tackle, illegal forward pass, block below waist (to extent) - this group is hard to control because no player tries to commit these penalties and they often happen by accident, but are major penalties
Out of position / Better Opponent - offensive holding, defensive pass interference, defensive holding - these are typically because the player is out of position or going against a better opponent.
Bone headed - targeting, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness - these you don't see in practice/scrimmage outside a fight or two.

If you're seeing a lot procedural penalties, this is an issue, these are easiest to coach and control. The last group can be overcome by getting better athletes and better coaching to put the athlete in position if they're not as skilled.

Physically they look like more like D1 athletes vs year 1 and year 2.

Talking with the guys who see all teams on gamedays, Nebraska is close. But small things like field position, turnovers, red zone offense, 3rd down defense, play calls have each cost them a game here or there.

Last edited:
Did Bo every throw a shit fit about you for throwing a flag in practice?

PeliniMad.gif

I'm not going to lie, I feared Bo starting out, however, he was nice to me. Others are practice didn't fare so well and had stories. His players seemed more like a team and enjoyed being out there more than the years following.

They have cut down on penalties significantly in practice. Year 1 of SF they were having 12-15+ per practice. This year we were down to a handful, but ultimately that is hard to judge unless you go good on good. Year 1 there was a lot of good vs scout penalties and that's gone away - which is a good sign.

Procedural - false starts, delay of game, off side, illegal formation, illegal shifts/motions - this group is 100% mental and easiest to eliminate.
"Accidental" - face masks, horsecollar tackle, illegal forward pass, block below waist (to extent) - this group is hard to control because no player tries to commit these penalties and they often happen by accident, but are major penalties
Out of position / Better Opponent - offensive holding, defensive pass interference, defensive holding - these are typically because the player is out of position or going against a better opponent.
Bone headed - targeting, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness - these you don't see in practice/scrimmage outside a fight or two.

If you're seeing a lot procedural penalties, this is an issue, these are easiest to coach and control. The last group can be overcome by getting better athletes and better coaching to put the athlete in position if they're not as skilled.

Talking with the guys who see all teams on gamedays, Nebraska is close. But small things like field position, turnovers, red zone offense, 3rd down defense, play calls have each cost them a game here or there.
Thank you for the insight. I think 90% of RSS disagrees, but I do believe Nebraska is close. I've watched a ton of replays of the games and I've narrowed it down to usually 2 plays a game, at really the worst times, that have cost us games. And honestly, 9/10 times it falls under that Procedural category. Personally, I understand coaches put players in position, but at the end of the day players have to execute. I tend to hold players more accountable for mistakes than coaches because of that reason. So, in my opinion, players just have to be dialed in 100% of the time because it's clear our margin for error is that thin.

However, we get another holding or blocking in the back penalty on special teams and I might just toss my TV out the window. That shit is maddening and basically guaranteed right now.

As far as the out of position/better opponent penalties go, this makes a lot of sense based on what I was told about Benhart. I was under the impression that you guys got him for holding fairly often in camp and the beginning of the season, and barely at all as the season went on.

My point is that Benhart got to the point this season where he was dominant and fundamentally sound against the scout team, but when he went against talent B1G defensive lineman, he broke down and ended up having quite a few costly holding penalties in live-game action. That was just Waterboy’s perspective. Would you agree?

I think an underrated aspect of building quality depth is giving our young lineman like BB a better look in practice which will ultimately make them more sound in respect to penalties.

As far as the out of position/better opponent penalties go, this makes a lot of sense based on what I was told about Benhart. I was under the impression that you guys got him for holding fairly often in camp and the beginning of the season, and barely at all as the season went on.

My point is that Benhart got to the point this season where he was dominant and fundamentally sound against the scout team, but when he went against talent B1G defensive lineman, he broke down and ended up having quite a few costly holding penalties in live-game action. That was just Waterboy’s perspective. Would you agree?

I think an underrated aspect of building quality depth is giving our young lineman like BB a better look in practice which will ultimately make them more sound in respect to penalties.
I assume that's why the in game massive leads are so valuable to overall roster development.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back