Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Whipple and Raiola sound official (1 Viewer)

Toe

Wide Receiver
Damon Benning can fuck off if he wants Davis as OC.

Damon Benning can fuck off, period.

Raiola gets us our QB of the future and is better than what we had.

Dylan is class of 2024. Frost might be gone long before signing day.

On the other hand, imagine being a lineman in this scenario. Do you wanna be the guy who whiffs on a block and causes your coach's nephew to get hurt? 😲

Last edited:

turek420845

Reaction Whore
Elite Member
The Bears' OL could be one of the worst NFL lines I've seen in recent memory. A lot of things out of a coach's control can go in to that, but it does not inspire confidence. I will say, he looks like an OLine coach should but so did Greg Austin.
I'm a Bears fan and I've watched a few games this year. O-Line did not look great, but a lot of the their line was fairly new if I remember right. Fields was getting murdered.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The Raiola hire is interesting:

Cons:
No experience with his own OL room (outside of 1 year with Aurora University)
No real experience in recruiting
2 Pretty big Cons

Pros:
Experience in the NFL as an assistant
Learned under some excellent O Line coaches
Played in the Big 10
Polynesian

It's definitely a random pick. I don't hate it, I don't love it. I hope it works out.

Downside: It doesn't work and the whole staff is gone this time next year
Upside: It does work, Nebraska wins games and they have an in to a top 2024 QB and the Polynesian community.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Are we sure this "Donovan Raiola" fellow isn't just former strength coach Mark Phillipp trying to work at NU again?

chicago-bears-assistant-offensive-line-coach-donovan-raiola-helps-picture-id1158285288

55739ac26b1d3.image.jpg

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Can anyone help me out here - What is the draw to Whipple? Is it HC experience? Is it QB development? Is it that no one we thought were "our guys" ended up wanting the job so we settled here?

I need some help figuring that one out

huskersoup

Linebacker
Elite Member
Can anyone help me out here - What is the draw to Whipple? Is it HC experience? Is it QB development? Is it that no one we thought were "our guys" ended up wanting the job so we settled here?

I need some help figuring that one out
I’m guessing QB development and years of experience of spread offense concepts

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
"In the 2020 season, Raiola worked with offensive line coach Juan Castillo to tutor an offensive line that featured six different starting combinations. Raiola assisted in helping a pair of rookie undrafted free agents develop into starters late in the season, as the Bears reached the NFC playoffs. The Bears currently rank ninth in the NFL in rushing in the 2021 season."

If you wonder why the Bears offensive line has stunk...I don't think we can blame the actual coaches. That GM is a joke.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I wasn’t real keen initially upon hearing Raiola’s name brought up but the more I looked at his resume and who he worked under in his coaching stops I felt better about the situation. He was an understudy to Harry Hiestand for a lot of years and just take a look at Hiestand’s resume and the guys he produced at ND. At the very least I think he’ll be able to teach the correct fundamentals and develop the necessary skills at oline that our guys so desperately lacked under Austin.

It’s just the lack of experience as the head guy that’s unsettling. It’s definitely a huge risk by Frost and not a top 2 choice for me but maybe he just needed an opportunity. We’ll soon find out.
I don't know that 3.5 years is "a lot".

UNK’sker

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I don't know that 3.5 years is "a lot".
Matter of perspective I guess. In the coaching world I’d consider that a lot. His playing days also lined up with Hiestand on another occasion plus Juan Castillo is no slouch either. I’d assume Hiestand and Castillo wouldn’t have taken him in as an assistant if they felt he didn’t know what he was doing. Time will tell if he learned anything from them or not. Wouldn’t have been in my top choices but its that’s Frost for ya

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds