Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What will happen first? Nebraska Mens Athletics

In order of likelihood:

CFP appearance
CWS appearance
Sweet 16

CFP appearance is what I'd want first

This.

and I'd bet $1 that the Sweet 16 never happens

AYYPct.gif

This has been asked by others and myself each year but I like getting a pulse of where we think we are at with the somewhat recent success of baseball and basketball.

What will happen first?
College Football Playoff Appearance
Sweet 16 Tournament Game
College World Series Appearance

Second part, what would you rather happen first of those three?
Might have to lower our expectations a little.🤣

Get to a bowl game
Win a tournament game
Win a regional

dating app GIF

My rationale on S16 is that once you're above the bar to win a game in the tournament, it's lot of time matter of draw or just getting hot to win that second one.

You have to have a pretty deep pitching staff to make the cws and CFP is further away than we are today in football
I’m on your boat with this

I'm confident in saying we'll make multiple CFP appearances before even winning a CBB tourney game. Just don't see it happening.
That's a little much. We were in the tournament this year, and we have plenty of talent to get back there next year. Saying we'll make MULTIPLE CFP appearances before winning one NCAA Tournament game is on the crazy side IMO.

That's a little much. We were in the tournament this year, and we have plenty of talent to get back there next year. Saying we'll make MULTIPLE CFP appearances before winning one NCAA Tournament game is on the crazy side IMO.

This team isn’t making the tourney imo. Think the roster got worse. They’ll be ok but not a tourney team maybe NIT. On the other hand I think we can make the CFP this year the way our schedule shakes out. And if that were to happen the football team only has to make it to the CFP one more time before a tourney win for my prediction to hit. And I think that scenario is likely.

College football playoff is by far the easiest for Nebraska to achieve. 4th place in the conference and we've got a real good chance of making it. 10-2 should make it most years, hell it's even possible this year, just not very likely.

There is honestly only about 45 teams with a realistic shot at the college football playoff a season and 12 make it.
There are easily 100 teams with a realistic shot at making the sweet 16 in basketball. Just a lot more chance in a successful run.
There are maybe 30 teams with a realistic shot at being one of the 8 that make the CWS every year.

We are a part of teams that have a chance in football, there just aren't that many that actually spend the money to compete at a high level. Obviously we have to do some winning, but making the CFP in the next few years is totally plausible.

Basketball we are iffy to even make the tournament, let alone put together a two game win streak when we get there. So many more teams actually spend the money to compete at a high level, having a good basketball team is so much cheaper than a good football team.

Baseball can be done, but it's harder when you aren't in a power league. Not being in the SEC or ACC makes it difficult to reach the CWS.

Now winning the title is a different story. A basketball team can get on a hot streak, baseball can win with a couple of elite pitchers, but winning 3 to 4 games in the CFP is going to take a really good and deep team.

S16
CFP
CWS

CWS is the one I'd like the most.

The problem is it's really damn hard to get there (harder than most realize). You're trying to get to the top 8 of 300 teams. AND you're usually beating good teams more than once to get there.

S16 is top 16 of 362.

CFP is top 12 of 128, but it's obviously by far the most competitive and the most resources thrown at.

I picked S16 because what you need is:
1) Make the tournament
2) Get hot for 2 games

It's definitely doable. Not saying it's easy, but doable.

CFP is top 12 of 128, but it's obviously by far the most competitive and the most resources thrown at.

We can narrow that down some, no Group of 5 school is going to get an at large, so that's 66 teams competing for 1 spot and 68 teams competing for the other 11 spots.

The B1G and the SEC are going to take 6 to 8 spots annually from their 34 teams, making it even more likely to get a CFP spot. A third place finish in the B1G is almost a guaranteed CFP spot, 4th place is very likely and 5th place is even possible. 4th place out of the 18 B1G teams is very doable in the next few years.

This team isn’t making the tourney imo. Think the roster got worse. They’ll be ok but not a tourney team maybe NIT. On the other hand I think we can make the CFP this year the way our schedule shakes out. And if that were to happen the football team only has to make it to the CFP one more time before a tourney win for my prediction to hit. And I think that scenario is likely.
Why is it worse?

I think we'll miss Keisei more than a lot think we will, but I like the construction of the roster. Brice will be able to go to his more natural role, too.

Shakes Head No GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Agree to disagree.

Keisei and Mast were our two best players and now we don't have either. Less athletic. Not saying they'll be bad I just don't see them being better than this year's team.
Idk that they're less athletic given that Keisei and Mast were two of the three worst athletes and then third one is gone in CJ.

But I also as of today have no clue what the rotation is going to look like

Idk that they're less athletic given that Keisei and Mast were two of the three worst athletes and then third one is gone in CJ.

Ok I'll give you that. I'll say we stayed about the same with athleticism with the additions, which was already below par.

Ok I'll give you that. I'll say we stayed about the same with athleticism with the additions, which was already below par.

For me whether we're better comes down to 2 things: did they add 2 guys who can consistently make 3s and can Meah protect the rim/glass for 25-28 minutes a night?

If they missed on either of those, I think they're in worse shape than last year.

For me whether we're better comes down to 2 things: did they add 2 guys who can consistently make 3s and can Meah protect the rim/glass for 25-28 minutes a night?

If they missed on either of those, I think they're in worse shape than last year.

Meah is a foul machine that's my concern. He's hard to keep on the floor.

Really hard to say how the basketball team will do before seeing them play, so many new contributors. I take any basketball prediction with some skepticism until they play a game together.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back