Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What do you do? (1 Viewer)

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm sure I'd shit seeing those rates. At a surface level staff rates in my world are much lower than those in law, but I also have more levers to pull to generate profit. I'd assume that outside of some reimbursable expenses most law firms have their entire nut baked into those billable rates.

And to your point, the stuff I'm talking about is relative, I can justify and successfully negotiate higher rates for our people because we are a premium brand and a known commodity in the market. I'd assume a similar situation in a big law vs mom & pop law firm

Not law, but going rates for partners at Big 4 accounting firms are over $1,000 per hour. Hell they charge like $250 per hour for a first year staff that can’t tell their ass from a tax deduction. Big law is going to be a lot higher than that.

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Out of college I went to work for Merrill Lynch as a Financial Advisor. Did that for a few years and hated it so moved to Vail, CO to be a Ski Bum for a winter. Loved it there. Ended up buying the Live Music Venue I worked at for 7 years. Best but also most stressful 5 years of my life as Sept 11th kicked us in the nuts for a few years and then our asshole Billionaire Landlord decided to tear the building down so he could build a $550 million monstrosity that did not include plans for a Live Music Venue. I bounced around a little doing business consulting and helping run businesses while also doing some Real Estate along with Live Music. Had a crazy baby mama that I was following around so ended up in Illinois, which is a state nobody should have to live in. Ran restaurants there until the day after my daughter left for college. Moved to the Lake of the Ozarks to full time to concentrate on Real Estate. Love it. Long hours sometimes but I get to boat 150-200 hrs a year and even show homes sometimes by boat. Figured I was going to retire down here so why not move here to work instead of some big city. Love the Lake Life!!!

EwokRhuler

Cornerback
What do I do? Pretty much this:

space office GIF

kevost

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I'm curious if OP ever ended up switching careers.

@kevost ? You there?
Sort of. Got out of mortgages and went back into Telcom/IT and moved back home closer to some family. About the same money I’ve made per year for the last 5ish years but we don’t have a mortgage (or rent) anymore and the wife actually ended up getting a job with a pay raise. Way less stress and a company vehicle to take home. Ton of people at this company have 40+ year tenures so I’m gonna tell myself to just take it one day at a time and hope to make it 30 and call it good.

We also Just welcomed our second daughter a few weeks ago. So lots of change since roughly Thanksgiving.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
Sort of. Got out of mortgages and went back into Telcom/IT and moved back home closer to some family. About the same money I’ve made per year for the last 5ish years but we don’t have a mortgage (or rent) anymore and the wife actually ended up getting a job with a pay raise. Way less stress and a company vehicle to take home. Ton of people at this company have 40+ year tenures so I’m gonna tell myself to just take it one day at a time and hope to make it 30 and call it good.

We also Just welcomed our second daughter a few weeks ago. So lots of change since roughly Thanksgiving.
Congrats on the second kiddo!

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I teach 8th and 9th grade Language Arts and coach middle school basketball, varsity boys basketball and most of jv because that coach has the immune system of an AIDS victim, and boys soccer. I also work part time at a local sporting goods chain store.

I would not recommend any of it.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
tPB OG
I teach 8th and 9th grade Language Arts and coach middle school basketball, varsity boys basketball and most of jv because that coach has the immune system of an AIDS victim, and boys soccer. I also work part time at a local sporting goods chain store.

I would not recommend any of it.
But you can go home and smile because you made a difference in those kids lives that will last forever

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds