Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What do you do? (4 Viewers)

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Rip Do Not Want GIF by nog

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m in a really odd hybrid role for a HR and recruiting consulting firm.

33% - account management/client success
33% - thought leadership/content development
33% - recruiting/consulting with clients
1% - fighting with Dueces on the open forum

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
Attorney. It's not the worst job in the world. There's some social status to it. I work at a family members firm so I have a lot of freedom to do whatever I want and take whatever cases I want. I don't make as much as a big law attorney (my brother works at a decent sized firm on the west coast, makes $150,000 after a year there). I don't want be an attorney for very long though, dealing with crazy peoples problems all day is tiresome. Also I can't stand most attorneys and I don't want to be around them.

I'm going to start a fitness related business or two in the near future, everyone in America is fat and there's a lot of money in that industry.
This is true. An alarming percentage of the attorneys I've worked with are cunts, but man when you find a good one they make a difference in your business.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's weird as shit because my district historically does $300-400mm a year in revenue and we have over $1b on the books for 2024 already...but just don't know how much of it is real.

I'm too dumb to do anything else so I don't have much choice but to hang in there
Kind of in the same spot...just riding it out.

Herbie

Quarterback
Was in tech sales and lived an absolute stressed out life. Instead of doing layoffs they were offering buyouts. Took it at 33.

Now work for an automotive parts manufacturer in sales and it’s the least stressful job I’ve ever had. Cover all of Oklahoma and large a large chunk of Texas.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Was in tech sales and lived an absolute stressed out life. Instead of doing layoffs they were offering buyouts. Took it at 33.

Now work for an automotive parts manufacturer in sales and it’s the least stressful job I’ve ever had. Cover all of Oklahoma and large a large chunk of Texas.

The tenure in tech sales is really lacking and it stresses me out as well. I now work in a boot strapped company with 30 employees. It’s nice knowing exactly who your boss is and knowing exactly what is expected of you instead of wondering what trivial metric the board/investors are going to nitpick this week.

HughJanus

Der Viener Schlinger
Elite Member
I'm an architecture/engineering person. Getting burnt out. The only things I would switch to at 36 is CAD tech or surveyor. You can get an associates degree at a community college and make decent money pretty quick. Less stressful than being an engineer. GIS is another quick skill that pays decently.

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
I'm an architecture/engineering person. Getting burnt out. The only things I would switch to at 36 is CAD tech or surveyor. You can get an associates degree at a community college and make decent money pretty quick. Less stressful than being an engineer. GIS is another quick skill that pays decently.
I did a GIS project for the State of AZ back a few years ago...I put it on my resume that I know ArcGIS and anytime I post my resume on public looking for shit, I get a barrage of emails requesting interviews for GIS analysts/engineer jobs..it's insane, it must be the most secure job out there. No where near enough folks for the demand...

Pipehog69

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I was an attorney for several years but the pay was terrible for the hours I worked so I jumped to a corporate oil/gas job fixing title issues. Good pay but pretty boring work.

Now I work in site acquisition/development for fiber optics/networking/data centers. I spend a lot of time cold calling property owners trying to find good deals on land, and I sit in a lot of meetings with engineers trying to build out the land.

It’s a great job but I negotiate a lot with owners/brokers/attorneys who are pretty incompetent but make way more money than I do, and sometimes I wonder if I should be doing something else.

HughJanus

Der Viener Schlinger
Elite Member
I did a GIS project for the State of AZ back a few years ago...I put it on my resume that I know ArcGIS and anytime I post my resume on public looking for shit, I get a barrage of emails requesting interviews for GIS analysts/engineer jobs..it's insane, it must be the most secure job out there. No where near enough folks for the demand...
For sure. I applied for a GIS job at a utility company a while back with very minimal experience got asked to do a second interview but I turned it down, just wasn't for me. Small amount of people that know GIS compared to other softwares and a ton of municipalities and state governments have a need for it.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Basically, I put truck drivers on their lanes, and deal with daily truck driver complaints. I’m in a world between dispatch and recruiting. My family runs a small cattle operation on the side as well. Gained a lot more appreciation for the trucking industry in and after COVID. I only have my Associates Degree in Fitness, never finished my Bachelor’s. Through working with cattle though, I realized I really love working in that industry. Our herd isn’t near big enough to do anything full time, but in a perfect world I would love to do something agricultural/construction related. Ive looked into and thought about it, but it’s really hard to beat a guaranteed consistent check every 2 weeks, my schedule is great, and I don’t take my work home.

Honestly, anyone can do my job, it would just take about 6 months to be comfortable. I’m going on my 8th year

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds