Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What do you do? (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'm a landman/project manager in the energy business. We provide "land services" for oil, gas and renewable energy companies.

I also coach football at the high school/middle school in my town.

A ton of well paying careers in the renewable energy sector FWIW.

RedSeaRising

Commissioner
Elite Member
tPB OG
So you suck at sales? I'm confused.
That's what I'm good at actually. Just a tough time in construction, developers & contractors have finally reached an impasse where there isn't free-flowing cheap money to justify higher construction costs, so things are in a weird place right now

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Considering changing career paths at the ripe young age of 36.

What do you do and can I do it? Full disclosure, I'm greedy and like money. Does your career path have anything to do with your degree (if you have one)? I'm just mostly curious about what everyone does.

I worked in telecom/IT for 13 years and made a change about 3 years ago. Considering going back or making another change.

Sorry if this has been done, didn't feel like searching for it.
What kind of IT job did you have?

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I'm a financial advisor. One of my co-workers came from the oil fields in North Dakota prior. Definitely a career that can be done with minimal background if you have a foot in door with someone and get good training. I say you need a foot in the door with someone because it takes a good amount of time to build connections and be able to build a book of business that you can live off of. That's why most people don't succeed as advisors. The big companies churn and burn employees.

Personally, if I were to make a career change, i'd look at computer science. There are jobs everywhere for coding and the like and you can learn it in a couple years from my understanding. Plus, it pays quite well.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
That's what I'm good at actually. Just a tough time in construction, developers & contractors have finally reached an impasse where there isn't free-flowing cheap money to justify higher construction costs, so things are in a weird place right now
Ah...construction. Yeah that makes sense then. Ugh. It's a weird time right now. Hang in man!

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Kiewit?

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Management consultant for a large international professional services firm. If that sounds vague it’s because the job is fluid; basically I try to identify client’s business problems, sell our company as a partner in either a strategic advisory or executional capacity, and then oversee the engagement/project. I work with healthcare clients currently, but our company works with basically every large company in the world.

Edit - you either need relevant industry experience or a MBA to break in unless you’re joining directly out of college.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Compliance (specifically privacy) is going to be a huge field pretty much everywhere b/c that regulation is only going to get worse and every country does things differently. Public tech companies pay above market salaries b/c you have to keep up with the Joneses, even in a non-technical role. Even though there's been some correction in tech salaries+benefits, it's still way better than anywhere else in the market.

I agree with this.

For OP, find a role in a tech start up with company equity grants.

RedSeaRising

Commissioner
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ah...construction. Yeah that makes sense then. Ugh. It's a weird time right now. Hang in man!
It's weird as shit because my district historically does $300-400mm a year in revenue and we have over $1b on the books for 2024 already...but just don't know how much of it is real.

I'm too dumb to do anything else so I don't have much choice but to hang in there

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds