Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Turd realignment comments (1 Viewer)

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Makes me wonder what the discussions sound like behind closed doors or if Turd is sending a message to dipshits behind the scenes.

I know there is some speculation that the top half of college football will unite in the next move of realignment & leave schools behind but we haven’t won in almost a decade & still top 25 in viewership, can’t imagine we’re on the outside unless our future projections in 10-15 years is expected to fall off a cliff

realbp

Linebacker
Elite Member
I think he's mostly right. You'll probably see unequal splits of media rights fees come first, as was proposed in the Big 12 to keep OU/Texas, but ultimately if this train keeps speeding downhill without brakes it's only going to get worse
I think this is incorrect. If you break away then have an imbalanced pay structure then the product will again become top heavy. I don't see why universities would leave better deals to disadvantage themselves. The B1G and SEC all have equal pay structures, those two entities will be the drivers of any change that comes. They have proven models where equal shares make the group more competitive and thus more valuable.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think this is incorrect. If you break away then have an imbalanced pay structure then the product will again become top heavy. I don't see why universities would leave better deals to disadvantage themselves. The B1G and SEC all have equal pay structures, those two entities will be the drivers of any change that comes. They have proven models where equal shares make the group more competitive and thus more valuable.
I didn't think we were talking about teams leaving, I assumed we were talking about less valuable teams being asked to leave. Suppose the Big Ten pays out $100 million in media rights annually and they learn that because they have Indiana, Purdue adds no value to the media rights. Why keep Purdue when you remove them and split the same media rights X-1 ways instead of X ways? The value assessment has been a direct driver for the addition of schools, so why would we expect it to stop now that conferences have consolidated?

Perhaps what you're getting at is the lack of exit options for places like Ohio State now keeping them in equal revenue sharing models and I think you have a point there, but it feels like the "how much value does this team really add" light has been applied to teams as we've seen "partial rights payouts" offered to schools and other than said lack of exit options I don't know what is going to stop that light from being turned on teams within the conference.

The equal revenue sharing model has worked for the Big Ten/SEC mostly because they have the most valuable tv properties and the checks were equally large relative to elsewhere, but now there isn't really an elsewhere so for schools to improve their financial position they're going to have to try to squeeze more juice out of existing conferences/media partners/alternative revenue streams and I don't know what form that will take

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Once we reach the point where the conferences have maxed out their revenue the only way for the top programs to keep making more money is to get away from the less valuable teams

I don't think fans who are used to winning 10 games every year are going to like a future where it's more competitive and they only win 5 some years. But that realization won't come until it's too late

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
we haven’t won in almost a decade & still top 25 in viewership, can’t imagine we’re on the outside unless our future projections in 10-15 years is expected to fall off a cliff
Yeah we’re very lucky that our fandom has been able to withstand such a shitty decade. As always though, I can’t help but wonder how much longer that can last.

IF the curse continues and we fail under Rhule too, it will be harder and harder to convince younger adults who only know bad/mediocre NU football to keep up the facade. I don’t wanna think about how the rest of the modern CFB landscape might start viewing us if we get to 15-20+ years of crappy football, the sellout streak goes down, our tv viewership tanks, etc., all while the next huge decisions start happening.

SAVE US RHULE

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I didn't think we were talking about teams leaving, I assumed we were talking about less valuable teams being asked to leave. Suppose the Big Ten pays out $100 million in media rights annually and they learn that because they have Indiana, Purdue adds no value to the media rights. Why keep Purdue when you remove them and split the same media rights X-1 ways instead of X ways? The value assessment has been a direct driver for the addition of schools, so why would we expect it to stop now that conferences have consolidated?

Perhaps what you're getting at is the lack of exit options for places like Ohio State now keeping them in equal revenue sharing models and I think you have a point there, but it feels like the "how much value does this team really add" light has been applied to teams as we've seen "partial rights payouts" offered to schools and other than said lack of exit options I don't know what is going to stop that light from being turned on teams within the conference.

The equal revenue sharing model has worked for the Big Ten/SEC mostly because they have the most valuable tv properties and the checks were equally large relative to elsewhere, but now there isn't really an elsewhere so for schools to improve their financial position they're going to have to try to squeeze more juice out of existing conferences/media partners/alternative revenue streams and I don't know what form that will take
The idea is that the top half of the B1G/SEC leave to form a new conference, leaving the NW/Vandy/Purdues behind. I don’t think we’re anywhere close to that since Fox & Disney are at war & I also don’t think the B1G is in jeopardy of ESPN winning that battle & getting tOSU/Michigan/USC to listen to offers on the SEC. ESPN/Disney seems to have a lot of financial issues with layoffs so idk where they’re gonna blow Fox out of the water on tv deals.

Maybe the SEC is better positioned for future streaming options, theyre consolidated with ESPN while B1G is diversified more like the NFL. Notre Dame will have to join at some point, their AD basically admitted yesterday that there is a line they will have no choice but to join & the B1G is going to squeeze em over the next 5-6 years.

I think all of this is a scare tactic to rally the troops behind Rhule at a critical point. Rally the troops for NIL, new prez, administration, even the academics should want football to succeed for Big Ten academic prestige or AAU status.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds